yet another, Universal LNB vs. 22k switch question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

techno935

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Pompano Beach, FL
My west side (22k "on" side) of the house involves G10 and G27. I need to upgrade both LNBs to dual with 2 outputs. Here's the next thing:

My G10 LNB is an Eagle Aspen feedhorn with a c120 flange assembly. I wanna get an Invacom LNB to replace with the current single LNB.
The least expensive invacom with a C120 fitting is a Universal with the 22k built in.

Equity is in the "high band", therefore 22k would be "on" already via the LNB and the 22 k switch itself due to my current settings. Does this present a problem?

ok don't lock me down on this ... and someone will jump in a chime away

there are probably several options one is the DTV/hughes/DPC/primestar replacement (aka globecast dual) sold by one of our previous gold sponsons....that will mount up to that flange assembly currently on your dish. but look at the name on it and do a search... i think its a .8 NF some of the newer lnbf's might look more appealing

you can also go with a regular dual lnb , i don't feel like there will be much signal loss, if you have a regular lnb you can try it and see .

Last edited:
You can't mix a universal LNB with 22k external switching. It won't work right. DiSEqC will, but not 22k. You'll want to avoid a universal if you have 22k in the mix. The QPF Invacom would be a good choice since it is a standard, but I hear those things are expensive for some reason :rolleyes:

correct. You cant use a 22k with a Universal.

Once you select 22k on or off that 22k switch will take that so the Universal will only work in low band. Been there tried that :)

Maybe they should come out with new Universals for people like us and devise a new "tone" just for the LNB. That would be kewl.

other than PAS9 there really isnt a reson for a Universal :)

I know...Invacom pretty much makes Universals only...wish they had a standard linear only (not the QPH)

Just a note, I know most of US can't receive anything on Nahuel 1 at 71.8°W but if you are in the Southern US or Mexico there are some channels that use a universal LNB.

correct

On a diseqc you can use any type of LNB (Standard KU, DBS, C-Band, Universal)
On a 22k you can use any LNB BUT Universal sicne it has a 22k built in

I thought that the ecoda 22mhz switches passed disqec and tone through?

There was no mention of what type of LNB for G27. Assuming its standard, and if the ecoda does both, then it can be done.

G27 only requires a standard LNB for White Springs.

Ice is correct, the 22k tone will reach the switch first and that's the end of it right there. If you have to involve a Universal LNB, your better off having a whole dedicated setup without 22k switches.

I thought that the ecoda 22mhz switches passed disqec and tone through?

There was no mention of what type of LNB for G27. Assuming its standard, and if the ecoda does both, then it can be done.

the ecoda will pass Diseqc but when you set up the menu only one can pass 22k and that would be the ecoda. The Universal would still be on low band then

If the switch will not pass the 22Khz, then you could insert a 22Khz injector between the switch and the LNB, but you would be better off with a standard LNB. You may also be able to use a power inserter and a LNB like you would use in a large C/Ku system. You would be limited to one polarity as you would not have a servo motor to switch polarities. There may be a problem getting the flange to mate up to the LNB also. There may be adapters. You may want to try taking an old standard LNBF and cut the feed horn off with a hacksaw and then using the red green method, attach it to the flange that you have. Please note that I have not tried this so it may or may not work. Just some ideas to play with. I think that I would start off with sacraficing a dual LNBF and cut off the feed horn.

OIC....I was under the impression that the ecoda will pass both.
The ecoda 22k switch will pass diseqc and 22k. I was running a vboxII and BSC621 on the 22k leg of an ecoda. The diseqc commands got to the vboxII so that it would turn to the correct location, but of course I was stuck with only the 22k side of the bsc621 working since 22k was getting sent past the bsc621. I ended up bypassing the internal 22k switch and using a diseqc between the c and ku sides of the 621 once I realized what I'd done :)

you cannot have 2 22k switches in the same line. It will not work. So if you hook a universal up to a 22k switch you will only get the low side

The ecoda WILL pass diseqc commands...I'm doing that right now :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)