Yikes! New hd-dvd players needed to for 51gb discs?

WAhhhhhhhhhh! Stupid people always whining about hd-dvd movies not having dolby true hd. Do you think having dolby true hd on a disk instead of dolby digital plus is going to make a difference, really? They could probably just put the dolby true hd logo on all the hd-dvd boxes while the audio is dd+ and no one would ever know the difference. Besides anything past dolby digital is gonna be a niche market for a very long time anyways. Most people dont care as long as they can hear surround sound, lol. Im not dissing dolby true hd but is it a necessity? I hardly think so.

Last edited:
Actually, I found it a little coincidental that only standalone players that had issues with the new Fox titles were the LG and Samsung players - the two 'renegade', Korean BD player makers with dual format players. ;)

That's a pretty ridiculous claim even coming from you. The main reason for the higher bitrate design for BD was to support the use of mpeg2 at very high bitrate. Sony claimed that mpeg2 could produce just as good a result at Mpeg4 & VC-1 when encoded at a very high bitrate. Not suprisingly, Sony owns the lions share of mpeg2 patents & royalties, none for VC-1, and a minority of mpeg4. The early BD releases seemed to contradict Sony's claim, even with mpeg2 at high bitrates. Have you seen any high-def releases in mpeg2 lately? :rolleyes:

Actually, the high bandwith of BD was designed to provide HD PIP under BD Live. I doubt we will ever see it but the fact that BD has that bandwith overhead means that there will never be a movie on BD that the studio if they chose cannot put PCM, DolbyTrueHD or DTS-HD Master on the disc. the same can not be said of HD-DVD.

I've been enjoying quite a few HD DVDs with TrueHD and DTS-HD MA bitstreamed to my Onkyo 605, thanks for asking. :)

Can you name me the HD-DVD movie that you watched with DTS-HD MA? And which HD-DVD player you have that is doing the bitstreaming of DTS-HD-Master?

No, I beleive Toshiba was the only one promising a completely spec'd out player in 2006. However, I'm not sure the average consumer had that fully explained to him by the blue shirted saints at Best Buy.

Even out of the gate all of Toshiba's promises did not hit the dirt running. First there was no 1080p, then there was no lossless audio decoding, then there was no HDMI, then -- oh heck, even if you can not admit it even HD-DVD has been upgrading their players with firmware and continue to do so. Most of you are hoping that your current players can be upgraded to read the new 51gb disc that Toshiba says is coming.

I have already admited that HD-DVD was more fleshed out when it hit the market then BD but it does not bother me to have to upgrade my player with firmware just like it does not bother you to do so too. But to say that HD-DVD was ready right out of the box is very misleading. I purchased a PS3 because I knew that it could be upgraded with firmware and Sony continues to prove me right.

Here is an analogy, I jumped into the HDTV market in 2001. My first was a Sony 57"XBR HD CRT Rear Projection and except for the fact that it had no DVI, no HDMI, and the tuner could not hold any signal, analog or digital it was an okay tv. True resolution was 600 x 1080i doubled. Cost me $3900. My second HDTV was on a trade of the Sony after they could not fix the problem - a Pioneer Elite 58" CRT. This one actually had 1200 x 1080i lines but the PQ blew away anything currently on the market. Orignal price was $6500 and I got the unit at the end of the model year for $4400. Still this is not a true 1920x1080 set but the PQ is amazing. Now folks are buying true 1920x1080p LCDs for $2000! As soon as a 60" LCD gets down to the $3000 range I will buy one. Might have to wait another two years but I am patient. Does that mean I have been ripped off? Not the way I look at it because since 2001 I have been enjoying HDTV and I continue too even with my BD playing PS3. If you are going to be an early adopter expect to spend lots of money and then spend some more. That is just how it is.

WAhhhhhhhhhh! Stupid people always whining about hd-dvd movies not having dolby true hd. Do you think having dolby true hd on a disk instead of dolby digital plus is going to make a difference, really? They could probably just put the dolby true hd logo on all the hd-dvd boxes while the audio is dd+ and no one would ever know the difference. Besides anything past dolby digital is gonna be a niche market for a very long time anyways. Most people dont care as long as they can hear surround sound, lol. Im not dissing dolby true hd but is it a necessity? I hardly think so.

You only say this because you have not heard DolbyTrueHD with the correct setup. If every reviewer that does reviews says that there is a differance in these audio codecs what makes you the expert to say that it does not? Hey, if you want to pay the full price for half a product go right ahead -- nobody is stopping you. Enjoy.

[/I]

Even out of the gate all of Toshiba's promises did not hit the dirt running. First there was no 1080p, then there was no lossless audio decoding, then there was no HDMI, then -- oh heck, even if you can not admit it even HD-DVD has been upgrading their players with firmware and continue to do so.

Huh? No HDMI? WTH are you talking about? HD DVD players have always had HDMI.

Gen1 HD DVD players only needed a firmware update to allow lossles decoding of TrueHD. It didn't take that long to get it out. HDDVD had the hardware. How many gen1 and gen2 BD players still can't decode TrueHD?

S~

[/I]Even out of the gate all of Toshiba's promises did not hit the dirt running. First there was no 1080p, then there was no lossless audio decoding, then there was no HDMI, then -- oh heck, even if you can not admit it even HD-DVD has been upgrading their players with firmware and continue to do so. Most of you are hoping that your current players can be upgraded to read the new 51gb disc that Toshiba says is coming.

Yes, as teach pointed out, not only did my 1st gen HD DVD player have an HDMI connection, they even included an HDMI cable in the box. Conversely, when I bought a PS3 I was shocked to find that, despite all the "Beyond High-definition" labeling on the box, Sony only included composite video and 2 channel RCA stereo cables inside the box. :eek:

Sure, Toshiba has been providing firmware updates to improve the playback quality of the players. I beleive it was the 2nd update that enabled 5.1 TrueHD. But no update was required to connect to the internet, no update was needed for PiP secondary audio & video - it came straight out of the box that way.

I have already admited that HD-DVD was more fleshed out when it hit the market then BD but it does not bother me to have to upgrade my player with firmware just like it does not bother you to do so too. But to say that HD-DVD was ready right out of the box is very misleading. I purchased a PS3 because I knew that it could be upgraded with firmware and Sony continues to prove me right.

Well, you are one of the lucky ones. Those bought the 1st gen Samsung, Sony, Phillips, Panasonic or Pioneer players will ever have the chance to upgrade their players to BD "Final Profile". Neither will the buyers of the 2nd gen Samsung, Sony, Panasonic or Pioneer players. Nor the buyers of the Samsung 3rd gen. Buyers of the 3rd gen Panasonic - like me - will never have the chance to upgrade to BD Live internet connectivity. But, I had all that on my 1st gen HD DVD player.

Last night I popped Evan Almighty in the HD DVD player while I was watching the ASU/USC football game (%$#@! USC! :mad:). Universal has loaded some new trailers accessible through Evan's web enabled special features. I started a trailer download, switched back to the game, and then next commercial break switched back to the HD DVD player and watched the latest trailers. Including trailers on the disc is so yesterday - you can never change them! Put them in web enabled discs and you can update them with the latest promotional materials you want to market to the best target audience - your current customers. You listening, Disney? :eureka

Last edited:
Including trailers on the disc is so yesterday - you can never change them! Put them in web enabled discs and you can update them with the latest promotional materials you want to market to the best target audience - your current customers. You listening, Disney? :eureka

No kidding. Took 15 minutes to get through the trailers before Rat.

S~

I'll forgive you for bashing my Trojans :D

[/i]

Even out of the gate all of Toshiba's promises did not hit the dirt running. First there was no 1080p, .....
I have been watching 1080p right out of the gate sparky. ANyone with a TV that correctly performs inverse telecine has as well. The FUD never stops with you does it?:rolleyes:

You only say this because you have not heard DolbyTrueHD with the correct setup. If every reviewer that does reviews says that there is a differance in these audio codecs what makes you the expert to say that it does not? Hey, if you want to pay the full price for half a product go right ahead -- nobody is stopping you. Enjoy.
Never said i was an expert. all i am saying is that it doesnt have enough of a difference to be all whinny about. The majority of people buying dvds dont even have a surround sound setup to take advantage of it anyway. Ill admit, my reciver doesnt support dthd. As long as i can hear dolby digital im fine. Im not that big of an audio snob, and people who are really need to get a life.

How do you know that? The man is just using some common sense and he is correct. Most of the buyers are not going to give a d@mn about it.

Just like most J8P are not going to give a damm about being able to access web content from their movie player or watch a PIP during the movie or shop during the movie. Doesn't stop most of us from talking about those features does it?;)

Never said i was an expert. all i am saying is that it doesnt have enough of a difference to be all whinny about. The majority of people buying dvds dont even have a surround sound setup to take advantage of it anyway. Ill admit, my reciver doesnt support dthd. As long as i can hear dolby digital im fine. Im not that big of an audio snob, and people who are really need to get a life.

So why even buy a HD format at all. You can buy a DVD and a good upconverting player and get just about the same PQ -- right? Your statement is from a posistion of I don't have what it takes so I don't need it and nobody else does either. Seems a liittle closed minded and short-sighted too. This is the arguement HD-DVD fans use when they do not get the best audio to go with the best PQ -- that what they have is enough. Same arguement that BD fans use when discussing PIP or web access from the movie.

Bottom line, the consumer should be able to get what they want and if the medium has been promising something and then says they cannot deliver it then that medium has been shortchanging its customers. And this is the arguement HD-DVD fans use against BD when discussing PIP and Web access during the movie. Are you begining to see any correlations here?

Just like most J8P are not going to give a damm about being able to access web content from their movie player or watch a PIP during the movie or shop during the movie. Doesn't stop most of us from talking about those features does it?;)
Apples and oranges Papa Smurf. J6P has his PIP now on his TV, when he sees it advertised on BD he is going to be pissed if it doesnt work. TrueHD however, he has no clue about and doesnt give a rats @ss as long as the red digital light on his reciever comes on indicating 5.1.:rolleyes:

So why even buy a HD format at all. You can buy a DVD and a good upconverting player and get just about the same PQ -- right? Your statement is from a posistion of I don't have what it takes so I don't need it and nobody else does either. Seems a liittle closed minded and short-sighted too. This is the arguement HD-DVD fans use when they do not get the best audio to go with the best PQ -- that what they have is enough. Same arguement that BD fans use when discussing PIP or web access from the movie.

Bottom line, the consumer should be able to get what they want and if the medium has been promising something and then says they cannot deliver it then that medium has been shortchanging its customers. And this is the arguement HD-DVD fans use against BD when discussing PIP and Web access during the movie. Are you begining to see any correlations here?

I only jumped in on the hd disk hype because wal mart was selling them so damn cheap (106 something out the door). Even cheaper than some of the regular good upconverting players. Im glad i did though because the picture is outstanding. If blu-ray players came down that much id have one of them too, but until they do im not spending more than that on a dvd player. I just cant bring myself to do it. It was hard enough for me to spend 950 on the new tv, and that was after price drops. Its just hard for me to spend that much money on anything entertainment-wise.

More FUD !! I want my movies to LOOK AND SOUND OF PERFECT!! That is a HD SOUND!! Plain and simple!! Any one who says different is a fud packer!

So why even buy a HD format at all. You can buy a DVD and a good upconverting player and get just about the same PQ -- right?

Why do all you guys keep talking about upconverting you get about the same PQ? This is hands down not the case. I compared both versions of Serenity and it was no contest. The level of detail was remarkable. If upconverting was so good why have HDTVs?

The TL51 will work fine on all the their players (they had Batman Begins on a TL disk during the Transformers release party playing), or Toshiba wouldn't be pushing anymore players like they are right now closed to 750,000 standalone, compared to 1.75million PS3's in the US and 320,000 blu standalones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)