Dish Network 21.0 Learning Remote Instructions

Actually....most, of the remotes send out IR and UHF at the same time.

You are misunderstanding my comment.

Dish remotes only send out UHF to Dish Network receivers, they do not send out UHF to TV sets, A/V receivers, VCRs, etc.

I did not say anything about IR to Dish Network receivers. All Dish UHF remotes except the earliest ones, also send out IR to Dish Network receivers.

PS The switch inside the battery compartment of a 6.3 switches from UHF Band A to UHF Band B.

Can you set this remote up for TV1 using the UHF for the Satellite, and IR for everything else? My 622 Receiver is hidden in a cabinet. I can do this right now, and I just wanted to make sure this remote can do this also before I buy one.

The answer is YES. I've got 2 of 'em, for my 622 & 722. UHF for the receivers, all other components are IR. Hope this helps. Merry Christmas!:)

Ed

I just received my new remote today and I'm following the instructions to get into recording mode, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I have already programmed the remote to my TV, DVD player, and amplifier. I am now pressing and releasing the Recall button on the remote, then holding record, but nothing ever happens. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Are you only holding the RECORD button until the desired mode button (previously pushed) lights up again (a few seconds) ? Then push the button on the Dish remote that you want to "learn" and RELEASE it. On the OEM remote press and HOLD the button you want to learn. When the Dish remote learns the command it'll blink off then come back on. If the Dish remote mode light blinks 3 times it didn't learn it. You might have to push & hold the button on the OEM remote several times while holding the desired button on the Dish remote before it gets the message. Hope this helps.

Ed

Those who received this as a separate remote purchase from Dish Network - did you receive any extra "keys" ? (the parts with "1" or "2" that fit into the bottom of the remote ?

21.0 You just flip over the key that is on it (small screw to remove), it has a green 1 on the other side. You also have to move the small switch alongside the batteries from UHF to IR. No other keys with it.

21.0 You just flip over the key that is on it (small screw to remove), it has a green 1 on the other side. You also have to move the small switch alongside the batteries from UHF to IR. No other keys with it.

Thanks for your reply.

The 6.2 accessory remote comes with several different keys, such as for old non-pro UHF, for TV1-UHF, etc.

By the way, the 6.x remote has a switch in the battery compartment that switches from UHF Band A to UHF Band B. The 21.0 switch changes from UHF to IR, so we need some information on the 21.0 in regards to old-UHF versus UHF-Pro-BandA versus UHF-Pro-BandB...

All Dish UHF remotes except the earliest ones, also send out IR to Dish Network receivers
That's what I was trying to say....but then I tried an experiment that showed that I was wrong! :eek: :D

The experiment:

If you turn on a cell phone camera, it will "see" an IR signal.

I held my blue #2 remote (6.3) up to the camera. If I pressed "volume" I get the bright flashes indicating that it is sending out an IR signal. If I press a button dealing only with Dish receiver commands (say, Channel Up or Info) the remote is as quiet as a tomb.

Thus UHF only for Dish signals.

I guess my confusion came in the fact that I have my 722 set in Single TV mode and use a Harmony (IR Only) when in the Home Theater and the UHF to drive my office TV.

Though the Dish remote may be sending only UHF, the receiver will still accept either. So it is the receiver that is dual....not the remote.

I just received my new remote today and I'm following the instructions to get into recording mode, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I have already programmed the remote to my TV, DVD player, and amplifier. I am now pressing and releasing the Recall button on the remote, then holding record, but nothing ever happens. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

CubsWin,

I have found that you need to enter the code or do a power scan for each device (TV), then do any leaning before going to the next device (DVD). If you later need to learn another button from the stock remote, you will have to enter the device (TV) code or do a power scan again, before the DISH remote will let you enter the learning mode again.
You are doing correct procedure of pressing and releasing the Recall button on the remote, then holding record.
Try entering the device code or doing another power scan and see if it will then let you do some learning!

Duane

Last edited:
I have found that you need to enter the code or do a power scan for each device (TV), then do any leaning before going to the next device (DVD). If you later need to learn another button from the stock remote, you will have to enter the device (TV) code or do a power scan again, before the DISH remote will let you enter the learning mode again.
This was my problem I must have previously entered learning mode, so I had to re-enter the device code before it would let me learn again. Thanks!

Your right, the 6.3 remote has a switch under the battery cover beside the batteries, the 21.0 has the switch under the batteries, so it is not seen when batteries are in place.
Dan

There must already be two slightly different models, as my 21.0 has the switch under the battery cover beside the batteries.

The only difference between the 6.3 switch and the 21.0 switch is that the 6.3 switch changes from Band A to Band B, and the 21.0 switch changes from UHF to IR.

Since my 21.0 works with my 622 which is set to Band B, then I can only assume that:

- either the 21.0 only does Band B
- or the 21.0 does Band A and Band B at the same time

I tried the two-way remote download feature on the 622 (found by pressing Menu, Menu again, and then next) and it seems to be confused about TV1 and TV2 remotes (when I have the 21.0 in "TV1" mode, it complains that it is a "TV2" remote, and when I have the 21.0 in "TV2" mode, it complains that it is a "TV1" remote).

Also note that it reboots the receiver after a two-way download attempt, so be sure that you are not currently recording or plan to record within 5 minutes. ;)

Must be two different models. I did the download thing, then I switched my 21.0 to UHF mode, so I don't know if that means anything or not.
Dan
Update: My bad, both the A-B switch on the 6.3 remote and the IR-UHF switch on the 21.0 are beside the batteries in plain site without removing the batteries.
Dan

Last edited:
Can you check menu-menu-next again, and see whether it says "There is no previous remote memory download information" ?

I did Menu,Menu, then hit Next, and nothing happened.
Dan

Update: Menu,Menu,Next says there is no previous download info on both TV1 and TV2 Remotes. I will have to go through the process again at a later time, I don't want to do a re-boot right now.
Dan

Last edited:
Just got my remote today. Dish said it had some internal company issues and needed to fix it before they sent it. After I put the batteries in, remote was already programmed to work with my TV and my receiver! fun fun

Dan - one time I got the process to work, and then after the reboot, it said "There is no previous..."

I have no way of knowing whether the receiver settings are in the remote, though.

Will the 21.0 Remote work in UHF Pro mode for TV1? I was just chatting with tech support and they said it will only work UHF on TV2...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)