Dish Network 21.0 Learning Remote Instructions

Will the 21.0 Remote work in UHF Pro mode for TV1? I was just chatting with tech support and they said it will only work UHF on TV2...
As usual, they don't know their own equipment.:rolleyes: They even told me the 21.0 wouldn't work with my receivers--622/722:confused:.
Dan is correct. I'm using both of mine to control TV1 via UHF on my 622 and 722.

Ed

Just an FYI, I'm using my 21.0 remote to control a 625 TV1 as UHF as well (Had to set up TV1 UHF pro settings in the menu, I also switched the key to 2, as before I was using a 6.0 TV2 remote for my TV1, not sure if it's necessary or not). Just thought I'd let everyone know that it works. I would imagine the 625s are not capable of the two way communication though (although this could be wrong, I'll test it out next time I'm home.

Also, I think you're supposed to be able to get into the two-way remote wizard by pressing and holding the "0" button. It's possible that it only works that way with "X22K" receivers though. I don't have one to test it on :(

For those questioning the UHF vs. IR thing, the original UHF remotes (5XX series receivers, etc.) Send both UHF and IR commands to the receiver simultaneously, and the receiver uses whichever it gets. UHF Pro sends only UHF signals to the receiver (unless of course you set it to IR).

Either way I love this remote! I can control everything in my system for $20! Now if they would just release one with programmable macros, I can forget about spending the big money on a Harmony remote....

I've had a few days to play around with the 21.0 remote, here is a Mini-Review (just impressions, not comprehensive):

- Some of the layout changes are good, others not so good. ;) At this point, with probably 30 million Dish remotes in use (guesstimate), most people are going to be using a 21.0 while still using the 6 series remotes. This layout change is going to cause minor problems, such as hitting the Search button when wanting the DVR button.
- The bigger number key buttons are definitely easier to use than the old tiny ones.
- Banishing the DISH button to the corner can only help. Even better would have been inside the battery compartment. :D
- The color buttons are the new DISH buttons, in the sense that they are right in the middle and do nothing. :(
- Evidently Dish thinks that everyone is using DUAL mode, because the PIP buttons were banished to a difficult position below the number keys. I use my HD-DVR in Single Mode, and constantly use the SWAP button to go back and forth between two currently airing programs/channels.
- Having support for new recent TVs like Olevia in the codes (and through learning) is a big plus, but having that also reminded me of a significant flaw in the firmware of both the 21.0 and its predecessors. If you have your TV as the default Volume (in SAT mode), then you can use the AUX mode button to change the volume of your AV receiver. But, if you have your AV receiver as the default Volume (in SAT mode), then you cannot use the TV button to change the volume of the TV. This makes no sense, and is just an inconvenient oversight. Apparently the remote engineers only use TV or AV receiver with any particular DVR - but around here, people use the TV sound during the day for news, etc. and then use the AV receiver at night for dramas, movies, etc.
- For some reason, the 21.0 is two or maybe three times heavier than the 6.0, and the shape is not as "ergonomic". Perhaps it is not intended to used by holding it for several minutes, as one might do when searching for programming to record for the next week.

Overall: I prefer the previous 6.0 series remote. It is significantly better for Single mode use, it is more comfortable to hold, and I think the new DVR button layout is a small step backwards. I do enjoy owning one, so that I can eventually store all the DVR's setting in the remotes, for whenever I next need to replace it. And I like having a backup for my Olevia remote. But my family is already used to several 6.0 remotes, so putting this one into use would only confuse them, so it will become my new backup remote. New subscribers with no previous remotes, and especially those using DUAL mode, may find it more agreeable.

Kstuart, That report is spot on, I don't like the pip position either, as I use only single mode also. I rarely use the vol. on the TV, but I'm wondering if one could learn the vol., mute to the TV button..
Dan

What a joy this site is!

I'm new on here, apologize for this being lengthy,but can't believe how timely this thread is for my husband and me. Yes, I'm the wife and I do all the electronics in our house! And I'm challenged in that area :(

I have a couple of ?'s:

Is there any way to determine absolutely whether or not this new remote will control a particular piece of equipment short of buying it and learning the hard way that it won't? We have just purchased a Samsung LN52A650 lcd, a Samsung BD1500 b-r AND (the big ?) a Sony HT-C100 Sound Bar. I couldn't believe that none of the codes for Sony would control this simple sound system (although it is relatively new, just out this spring).

We currently have a VIP622 with a 6.3 remote. The 6.3 was sent out to replace a 5.? with the assumption by Dish that that would solve our problem. When it arrived, I called for help (there were 3 or 4 different chips included) and 3 different techs had me change the chips, change the switch inside, try different codes, do a power scan, all to no avail. I have a brand new, un-opened Harmony One remote that I ordered just for this reason and have been waiting to use it until Dish arrives next week (was supposed to be today but they messed up and didn't have enough 722's on their truck to make our appt.) Since we're upgrading to the 722, will the remote that comes with it have more codes than the 622's remote? We're only using the one tv with this receiver.

I don't know what route to take now that I've discovered this 21.0 remote. In all my many calls (within the last 2-3 wks.) to Dish, trying to get the amp controlled by the 6.3, not once did anyone mention the 21.0 remote. I can return the harmony and save $200. That's not really the issue though. We (ESPECIALLY my husband!) just want to use ONE remote.

Any suggestions would be SO appreciated.

Lisa

Is my post lost?

I posted yesterday (12/31) about this remote and our situation, but only see the post I added immediately afterwards, wishing everyone a Happy New Year. I spent alot of time on it and can't seem to find it.
Is it gone? or just not approved yet?
Thanks,
Lisa

Lisa your post count only shows 2 so I'm thinking you didn't actually post your long post about the remote? Maybe you didn't actually hit the post button after typing?

Lisa your post count only shows 2 so I'm thinking you didn't actually post your long post about the remote? Maybe you didn't actually hit the post button after typing?

Years of Forum posting have taught me to do the following before clicking on "Submit Post":

Ctrl-A followed by Ctrl-C

(Select All followed by Copy)

which puts the whole text onto the Clipboard.

Then when you get the "Internet Explorer Cannot Display This Page", you don't lose all your work ! :eek:

I posted yesterday (12/31) about this remote and our situation, but only see the post I added immediately afterwards, wishing everyone a Happy New Year. I spent alot of time on it and can't seem to find it.
Is it gone? or just not approved yet?
Thanks,
Lisa
Welcome to SatelliteGuys:) your first post was moderated for some reason, sorry for the inconvenience...

I use a vip622 in single mode, and can't get the 21 to work. I go to sys info, hit the record button, and the code changes. But the select button doesn't work, and the left right buttons (to help or cancel) work only once in a while, so I can't select the new remote. I have to use the old one to select done, and the code reverts back to it. Same with tv1 or 2, and setting code in new remote to the same code as the old one doesn't work either.

Any suggestions - no help from Dish - they sent another unit - same problem..

JohnW

Dumb question. Did you bring up system info via the receiver initially as opposed to using a remote? I think its important to access the system info via the button on the receiver to synch the 21.0 remote. Just a thought, Lord knows I could be wrong.:confused: I've set up 2 of 'em & they work great. Good luck!

Ed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)