DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

Glad that Disney channels have not been pulled, and glad that they continue to discuss. This is one long extension discussion, again happy they are continuing to talk it I wonder how active discussions have been as of late?

Last edited:
I don't know, but for us subs, this is the classic "you're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't" situation. People lose their heads when channels are pulled. "Why can't they just keep them up and negotiate?" Now Dish and Disney are doing exactly that: "Why can't they just figure it out?" Nothing is ever good enough.

you know if he pulled the channels..we would get rebates..possibly decent replacement channels as well as all the Disney/ESPN channels back on (In HD) in less that a week..I don't think the mouse could stand to lose that many ad dollars

Anyone that's at CES, have you heard anything about the Disney HD issue? I know the press conference is in progress but it doesn't appear they are announcing anything as they are talking about the Super Joey, Virtual Joey, and Wireless Joey!

Anyone that's at CES, have you heard anything about the Disney HD issue? I know the press conference is in progress but it doesn't appear they are announcing anything as they are talking about the Super Joey, Virtual Joey, and Wireless Joey!

I wouldn't expect much from that today.

Is it possible that something may come later? I am not familiar with how this event works.

The presser is over. Dish will have a retailer chat this week where they will go over all of these announcements and give us the details on fees and such. If they had a decision on Disney it may come out then.

While CES is not the venue to discuss programming discussions, hope there is some news on discussions one day in the future. I didn't want to use the S word :)

No, this is a tech show. Reporting contract/legal news would be out of place. Nothing to read into here.

Agreed, except that a few thought the deal was signed and would be announced yesterday. I think it's safe to say there is no deal yet.

While CES is not the venue to discuss programming discussions, hope there is some news on discussions one day in the future. I didn't want to use the S word :)

Why would there be any news? ESPN and Disney channels are still on Dish. Nothing has changed. Yes we happen to know that they are negotiating a new contract. If nothing is resolved by Team Summit, I would expect the same to be said there too. No news is no news, they are not going to divulge every negotiated point of contention while they are still negotiating others. If the contract had been concluded, I would expect them to be touting new streaming or whatever features Dish got out of the deal in their booth at CES. The same goes for team summit - if there is a deal they will talk it up...

At this time what is known is that "media rights" seem to be the stumbling block. Other then that we just wait and it's good that whatever kind of negotiating timeline they have the channels have not been pulled

They wouldn't talk about it... but I did overhear someone say that basically its down to finalizing the contract language.

Is that true or not? I don't know. But I have a real good feeling about things