101 signal strength

Status
Please reply by conversation.

trojan67

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 5, 2015
Jamaica
Notice much improvement in the signal strength on 101, a lot of channels you couldn't received is showing now in the Caribbean, all blackout transponder has returned

Notice much improvement in the signal strength on 101, a lot of channels you couldn't received is showing now in the Caribbean, all blackout transponder has returned
Not sure that I ever had issues with any channels on the 101, my signals have pretty much always been in the 90's-100

Guess that means that they have switched 101 to the T15 satellite now. Its beam footprint must be favorable to your location.

Sorry, missed that ... had no clue what you were referring to .... at the time of your first post.

Reactions: trojan67
Hey, just curious, could you posts those signal levels you're receiving on 101W?

It must be the recently arrived T15 satellite lightning up as Slice said earlier, since it has spotbeam mirrors for PR and HI for the 32 Ku DBS tps. at 101W ....

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Hey, just curious, could you posts those signal levels you're receiving on 101W?

It must be the recently arrived T15 satellite lightning up as Slice said earlier, since it has spotbeam mirrors for PR and HI for the 32 Ku DBS tps. at 101W ....

I am far away from the location right now, I will see if I can get someone to send them to me

I am far away from the location right now, I will see if I can get someone to send them to me
Ok thanks ...

See we use to have subscriber/correspondents in PR to give feedback on signal conditions there and nearby surrounding areas in the Caribbean to post where we especially "chew the fat" on this stuff on the "iamanedgecutter.com" site.

But unfortunately Maria ended that arrangement for now.

So we always try to grab whatever info. we can get now from anyone who happens to be or pass-thru that vicinity by happenstance.

I noticed I have pretty much all 99s and 100s on for the CONUS tpns on 101 (except tpn 1 is 98) whereas before I only saw 100s on half the transponders (can't remember odd or even) and 96s on the rest.

Given how the scale Directv uses flattens significantly above 90, going from 96 to 99 is probably at least 1 db increase in SNR.

This is for a 6ft Channel Master dish tp1-76, tp2-75, tp3-98, tp4-0, tp5-72, tp6-85, tp7-99, tp8-84, tp9-72, tp10-69, tp11-98, tp-12-0, tp13-72, tp14-83, tp15-98, tp16-80, tp17-68, tp18-0, tp19-98, tp20-0, tp21-69, tp22-78, tp23-98, tp-74, tp25-63, tp26-0, tp27-98, tp28-0, tp29-65, tp30-77, tp31-98, tp32-80, the dish in question can be peak to give a better result, most of the uneven tp's was blocked out for years, these are the best I have seen since 1996

Reactions: dramirez
This is for a 6ft Channel Master dish tp1-76, tp2-75, tp3-98, tp4-0, tp5-72, tp6-85, tp7-99, tp8-84, tp9-72, tp10-69, tp11-98, tp-12-0, tp13-72, tp14-83, tp15-98, tp16-80, tp17-68, tp18-0, tp19-98, tp20-0, tp21-69, tp22-78, tp23-98, tp-74, tp25-63, tp26-0, tp27-98, tp28-0, tp29-65, tp30-77, tp31-98, tp32-80, the dish in question can be peak to give a better result, most of the uneven tp's was blocked out for years, these are the best I have seen since 1996
Great, thanks ...

Tell me, did the even numbered tps. improve?

If so then by this it appears at least T8's traffic (odd numbered tps.at 101W) and T9S's CONUS tp. beam traffic (even numbered tps. excluding local ch. spotbeams) have been transferred to T15.

Whereas the six local ch. spotbeams tps. 4, 12, 18, 20, 26, and 28 must still emanate from T9S/T4S.

Great, thanks ...

Tell me, did the even numbered tps. improve?

If so then by this it appears at least T8's traffic (odd numbered tps.at 101W) and T9S's CONUS tp. beam traffic (even numbered tps. excluding local ch. spotbeams) have been transferred to T15.

Whereas the six local ch. spotbeams tps. 4, 12, 18, 20, 26, and 28 must still emanate from T9S/T4S.

Not by much, it was the odd tp's that was improved significantly, I am wondering if it going to last, this is really great news.

It is quite possible that the dedicated beam to Puerto Rico the new satellite has creates more spillover in the area, so you may well see better reception in Jamaica from now on.

That's the good news for you. The bad news for you is that Directv is dropping MPEG2 SD next year, only HD receivers will be supported. It isn't clear what you'll be able to get if you can only receive 101, you may get all the SD channels in MPEG4, or you may get some subset of all the channels in HD but only those channels. While some of the 99/103 satellites have Puerto Rico beams as well, they use Ka which is more focused so less likely to be something you can pick up in Jamaica. Maybe it is possible, but it would take quite the jury rigged dish (or more likely three separate dishes) to receive/combine all three since you couldn't use a standard Directv LNB.

Reactions: trojan67
It is quite possible that the dedicated beam to Puerto Rico the new satellite has creates more spillover in the area, so you may well see better reception in Jamaica from now on.

That's the good news for you. The bad news for you is that Directv is dropping MPEG2 SD next year, only HD receivers will be supported. It isn't clear what you'll be able to get if you can only receive 101, you may get all the SD channels in MPEG4, or you may get some subset of all the channels in HD but only those channels. While some of the 99/103 satellites have Puerto Rico beams as well, they use Ka which is more focused so less likely to be something you can pick up in Jamaica. Maybe it is possible, but it would take quite the jury rigged dish (or more likely three separate dishes) to receive/combine all three since you couldn't use a standard Directv LNB.
What type of lnb works with the H24 receiver

Last edited:
What type of lnb works with the H24 receiver
For the H24?

All of them, as that is an MPEG-2/4 HD receiver of course.

But in your situation the question still remains what type of programming will ultimately replace MPEG-2 SD at 101W next year?

If it's MPEG-4 SD, which is a good guess, you're OK ....

But if it's going to be a subset of HD channels comprising the most popular veiwed ones transferred from the Ka band as some feel will happen. Then youre going to lose some channels, even though the ones you'll receive will be in HD from 101W.

For the H24?

All of them, as that is an MPEG-2/4 HD receiver of course.

But in your situation the question still remains what type of programming will ultimately replace MPEG-2 SD at 101W next year?

If it's MPEG-4 SD, which is a good guess, you're OK ....

But if it's going to be a subset of HD channels comprising the most popular veiwed ones transferred from the Ka band as some feel will happen. Then youre going to lose some channels, even though the ones you'll receive will be in HD from 101W.

Can I use a regular lnb on 101 sat, with a HD receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)