12' BUD vs. 8' BUD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

123tim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Pennsylvania
I have the chance to get two free dishes. Both are small mesh, with one being 8'. The other is a 12'.

I've have no experience with BUD's (nothing over 36 inches really.) Naturally, I want to go for aligning the twelve footer right away. How does a BUD compare to a small dish for aligning for digital KU band? Would the smaller 8' dish be easier to align than the 12'? I'm not really talking about the physical aspects of wrestling a 12 foot dish around. :) I'm talking more about the sensitivity to signal that I "think" the 12 foot dish would have.

Thank you.

Last edited:
123tim said:
I have the chance to get two free dishes. Both are small mesh, with one being 8'. The other is a 12'.

I've have no experience with BUD's (nothing over 36 inches really.) Naturally, I want to go for aligning the twelve footer right away. How does a BUD compare to a small dish for aligning for digital KU band? Would the smaller 8' dish be easier to align than the 12'? I'm not really talking about the physical aspects of wrestling a 12 foot dish around. :) I'm talking more about the sensitivity to signal that I "think" the 12 foot dish would have.

Thank you.
I can tell you (from recent experience) that the 8' BUD is far more picky about alignment than a 36" dish on Ku. It took very fine movements just to get 119w in, which is so easy to get with a small dish its almost annoying.

Of course, I was using the BUD's Ku LNB, which is not proper for DBS, and the BUD was laying on its side in the grass, but still the aim seemed to require very precise attention.

EDIT: If you decide you don't want the 12', feel free to send it my way :D

Last edited:
My 8 ft BUD

123tim said:

Thank you.

Hi Tim:
My 8 ft Winegard was pretty easy to set up for both KU and C bands. KU was a little twitchy but it gets all I want it to get. It also has to do with where you are in the sat's footprint.

of course as has been said before...Bigger=better whre a BUD is involved. handling the 8 footer was a pain...can just imagine a 12 footer!!!

HINT...MAKE SURE IT IS DEAD CALM, OUTSIDE...These guys act just giant catcher's mits with wind!:D

Jeff

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)