2/8/2010 9:46pm - Uplink Activity Report - 34 changes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
so If I have a dish pointed at 110,119 and 129.will I get all the new channels.i'm in the eastern area.but what is ea?

Yes. EA is eastern arc. E* has two separate groups of satellites that provide the bulk of their normal programming. To the west is the 110, 119, and 129W group and to the east is the 61.5, 72.7, and 77W group. Heretofore, 129W and 61.5W have carried identical national programming and 110/119 and 72.7/77 have carried identical national programming for their respective arcs. Subs therefore needed access to either 110/119 and either 129 or 61.5 or 72.7/77 and either 61.5 or 129 to receive all national programming. Before the creation of the eastern arc all subs had a 110/119 install regardless of where they resided. E* acquired the satellite at the 61.5 slot and spotbeamed locals to markets in the easterm half or so of ConUS where the spots reached. Thus many people ended up with 110/119/61.5 setups. E* then created an eastern arc of satellites to better serve the eastern part of the U.S. Only new subscribers received a full eastern arc install with a 1000.4 antenna to receive 61.5/72.7/77. Existing subs received a second dish for 61.5 and ended up with 110/119/61.5 setups. As long as 61.5 and 129 had identical programming, there was no difference in having a 61.5/72.7/77 or 110/119/61.5 setup. That has now changed so that the 110/119/61.5 setup probably will not receive all available programming. This is likely a temporary situation though.

If your 61.5 dish can be pointed at 129 (in other words, no trees or buildings in the way) then you would not need any new equipment - which also assumes that your local channels are not on 61.5 .

Otherwise, you would need a "Dish 1000.4" instead of your existing equipment.

The cost depends on whether Dish is willing to pay for new equipment for you to get the channels you are paying for. In the past, they have generally done so, but such things vary depending on which phone rep you get... which reminds me that no phone rep will be able to deal with anything in this thread until Thursday or Friday, so do not call until then.

Albany HD channels are on 61.5 and SDs on either 110 and 119 (ION - but it is a map down). So it may not be a good idea to do a repoint.

I have a D500+ with 61.5 as a wing dish. If I mount a LNB opposite the 110 LNB with bracket, so you have from behind dish 129, 119/118.7, 110 would that make it a D1000.2? Is the reflector the same size? I would not want to reposition 61.5 because of location, hard to get to. Thanks
If you add the bracket to a 500+ dish, it becomes a 1000+.

All of this talk about phases reminded me of this:
underpantsgnomes.jpg

Well, sure looks like i'm screwed... I have 110/119/61.5... my HD locals are on 61.5 :( so i can't move that to 129 :( I can't upgrade to EA cause I have 2 311's (MPEG2) receivers... this sux, price increase & no access to new HD... WTF?

Like Scott said, all will be fine for you but I would consider "future proofing" your setup by adding a wing dish pointing to 61.5. This will connect to your 1000.2 without the need for a switch and you should be able to pickup a dish to point to the 61.5 cheap. I used an older 1000 to point to the 61.5 and it's connected to my 1000.2 pointing to the usual 110/119/129.
Once similiarly set up, you won't have any concerns about receiving any new programming.

Actually, this has turned out to be the opposite of the truth.

If you have 110 - 119 -129 you are fine.

If you have 110 -119 - 61.5 then you futureproof your setup by adding a 129 wing dish.

If you have 110 -119 - 61.5 then you futureproof your setup by adding a 129 wing dish.
cept the east coast cant see129 and they would lose HD locals

Well, sure looks like i'm screwed... I have 110/119/61.5... my HD locals are on 61.5 :( so i can't move that to 129 :( I can't upgrade to EA cause I have 2 311's (MPEG2) receivers... this sux, price increase & no access to new HD... WTF?

Use "Customer Service Rep Roulette" until you get a rep who will exchange your 311s and install a 1000.4 dish, all for free, since it is needed to receive the channels you are paying for.

Do NOT call before Thursday or Friday, because until then they will not know what you are talking about.

^^^ sorry "K" think we typed @ the same time ;-)

I wonder if they'll be offering upgrades (discount or free) for those of us they set up before the establishment of EA??? I mean, it wasn't our fault we couldn't see 129, & not our fault we have the "combo" setup of Super Dish & wing dish :(

Use "Customer Service Rep Roulette" until you get a rep who will exchange your 311s and install a 1000.4 dish, all for free, since it is needed to receive the channels you are paying for.

Do NOT call before Thursday or Friday, because until then they will not know what you are talking about.

I dont think this will work this time and dont think people should call. I am hearing the HD on 72.7 is a temporary stop gap just to get them launched while they work on their 61.5 issues.

I dont think this will work this time and dont think people should call. I am hearing the HD on 72.7 is a temporary stop gap just to get them launched while they work on their 61.5 issues.

Scott, but US people in Maine area will still be screwed even when they do get E6 over to 61.5, because E6 will not be able to reach us in Maine.

So what would DISH do for us then??

Josh

I don't see how this is the opposite of the truth. I agree with Scott about the 110/119/129 being fine. I initially added the 61.5 to my setup because that's where my HD locals were, but I also considered this to be futureproofing.

Scott, but US people in Maine area will still be screwed even when they do get E6 over to 61.5, because E6 will not be able to reach us in Maine.

So what would DISH do for us then??

Josh

I have been investigating this, and you can get 129 in Maine with an elevation of about 12 degrees.

Before Ciel-2 was launched, everyone was desperate to replace their 129 dishes with 61.5 dishes because EchoStar 5 at 129 was really weak.

Now Dish has a strong satellite, Cel-2 at 129, it might be possible to receive 129 even in Maine:

Ciel 2 129W Can7 Conus (Satkml)

A good site to check this is:

Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com

( Of course, this would require a third dish and a switch that accepts four satellite locations, which 119/110/61.5 users may already have. )

And on top of everything else, the Federal Government has been closed (rightfully) Monday and Tuesday due to the huge snowstorm that hit the mid-Atlantic area. And yet another storm is imminent.

It could be a while before the FCC acts on this...