2 New Channels added

sdsasquatch said:
Espn Deportes is an excellent addition for those of us who enjoy soccer. They show all of the Champions League games live or on tape delay, as well as some of the world cup qualifiers.

Exactly. :cool:

I couldn't be happier to get ESPN Deportes. I majored in Spanish in college, but that was nearly 20 years ago, and I can no longer speak the language with any fluency: still, I think I can watch a good tennis match in any language, and the network carries a fair amount that neither ESPN nor ESPN2 does.

I'll be in an excited state if voom can resolve the CBA dispute for the NHL ... or anyone for that matter. No, that is great for Voom and Voomers. Plus it will provide me with one more channel to kick D* in the a$$ about not having once SpaceWay is live. Congrats Voomers ... the more the merrier.

gully said:
I majored in Spanish in college, but that was nearly 20 years ago, and I can no longer speak the language with any fluency: still, I think I can watch a good tennis match in any language, and the network carries a fair amount that neither ESPN nor ESPN2 does.
Just like the international language of LOVE, espn deportes transmits in that other international language, SPORTS.

So for those of us that LOVE SPORTS, this is a win, win situation… :D :D :D

P.S. don’t tell my girlfriend I said so, or I may become illiterate in both languages… :rolleyes:

I personally wouldn't mind getting rid of some of the VOOM originals that play the same 2 things all day long and getting RSN's and ESPN2HD. From the CSR's I have talked to, all of them tell me how the RSN are the most requested channels. So VOOM will add them, it's just they have added channels that aren't as important first instead of vice versa. I have said I will be patient with VOOM until about mid-end of April before I decide to keep VOOM or not. I am very confident that we will all have be happy by the middle to end of April with the channels and PQ. :)

I really dont care for the Spanish channels and will never tune to them but I have no problem with their addition as this is clearly aimed at securing a part of a very large untapped subscriber group and helps secure Voom's success. I would even support a Spanish HD channel if one existed.

amp said:
Not sure I understand why they would waste the bandwidth and money to add 2 spanish channels since they aren't going to grab the spanish speaking population without a significant lineup. At least they are growing, just wish it would be with some worthwhile content to help out their future.

So, let me get this... as these are 'spanish' channels, you don't consider them worthwhile? dude, you better start checking your facts and get a good grasp of where the demographics of this country are going to.

Additionally, I'll give you the following reasons as to why these 2 channels are a good addition to Voom's packet:

1) These channels also have alternate audio modes (at least, that's what I remember).

2) ESPN Deportes has a lot of sports not covered by their US counterparts. Sports like soccer have a much more broader coverage (a boatload of games from the Spanish 'La Liga', the Italian 'Calccio' and British 'Premier League', plus every single important international soccer tournament available).

They also broadcast a lot of MLB and Caribbean/Mexican baseball.

And lots of other sports too.

3) CNN's offering is really good for a lot of us, Voom users, as we have either family or friends who live in Latin American countries and having a way to learn a few things about how's everything going down there is not only valuable but very enriching as you get an extra source of information that can help you better understand other cultures.

zombie said:
I'm sure they will be largest minority. We pretty much opened the US/Mexico border.. Unfortunately that also means a higher likelyhood of them not being able to afford HD and VOOM...

I expect i'll get some flames for speaking facts, so feel free to flame..

It really amazes me how short-minded some people can be.

May I remind you that a lot of 'real' (for a lack of a better term) american people come from expatriate families that came through the same borders you're talking about.

According to you, it means that a very large number of latino expatriates that are now part of our society here in the US are here illegally and that they are what, second class people? I beg to differ... I would say a very large majority of them are here legally and provide our communities with many, many valuable and wonderful things that we were missing before.

Myself (being a guy from Venezuela) and whole lot of other latinos and foreigners pay the same taxes you pay and make as much money as you do (and even more), so I don't know when and how you concluded that being latino/foreigner = not being able to pay for a service like Voom.

It's really a pitiful thing to be a witness of stuff like this... I thought a lot of people had gotten over 'this' issue a long time ago... but apparently, I was wrong.

Reply Voomin's comment

2 channels is not going to attract Spanish speakers to VOOM. Hence my point that the next few rounds of channel add ons will probably be Spanish as they get up to snuff. Quoted from Voomin 720p

I am Asian Indian, and went to Dish network spent $140 a month just cause they had 2 indian channels TV Asia and Z Tv in 1998. Since then they have 5 indian channels, and have OVER 200,000 indian and south indian subsribers. Then numberos Of Indian , Pakistani and Bangladeshis in UNited States is over 2 million.

That is 6 times the number of TOTAL VOOM SUBSCRIBERS .

Voom should attract interanational subscribers. Bollywood is getting big in United States. Witness the success of Bride and Prejudice, released by Miramax Pictures. Ashwariya Rai , Indian' superstar was in it with Martin Henderson, from the director of Bend it Like Beckham

The_H :May I remind you that a lot of 'real' (for a lack of a better term) american people come from expatriate families that came through the same borders you're talking about.

Well said. The only "true" Americans were the American Indians (and even they may have come over a land bridge from Asia). EVERYONE else immigrated to the US.

I must say I am extremely disappointed in the prejudice still present in American society (and evidently in this forum); I'm first generation American but pay $$$ in taxes, always have, always will, as do my parents, my siblings, my cousins, etc. Most of the members of my family are educated professionals: ie, physicans, pharmacists, lawyers, etc. and ALL are gainfully (?sp) employed.

Is it really that bad that VOOM is trying to reach out to other subscriber groups? Are people here going to complain if VOOM adds TV Asia, Z TV, and others, in an attempt to insure VOOM's survival for everyone? I certainly hope not.

freezetime said:
I personally wouldn't mind getting rid of some of the VOOM originals that play the same 2 things all day long and getting RSN's and ESPN2HD.

The 21 Voom exclusives are what I will miss most if the service fails.

Regarding sports and Voom, I'm most interested in watching WorldSport and RUSH expand and possibly spinoff into specific sport genres. Between my OTA HD locals, TNT HD and hopefully a WGN HD there's more than enough sports. In fact I've been somewhat disappointed in the HD content on ESPN. Of course if offered NFL Voom again, NBA HD or even a RSN in HD, great. For the masses ad the network HD feeds including Telemundo and Univision.

However, if I wanted everything sports I'd have stayed with DirecTV. If I wanted goofy interactive programming I'd be with E*. I wanted HD. I got Voom. If it's HD I expect it to be on Voom. So I hope that soon after things settle, it will just be more and more HD. :D :D

socalpanman said:
The 21 Voom exclusives are what I will miss most if the service fails.

Regarding sports and Voom, I'm most interested in watching WorldSport and RUSH expand and possibly spinoff into specific sport genres. Between my OTA HD locals, TNT HD and hopefully a WGN HD there's more than enough sports. In fact I've been somewhat disappointed in the HD content on ESPN. Of course if offered NFL Voom again, NBA HD or even a RSN in HD, great. For the masses ad the network HD feeds including Telemundo and Univision.

However, if I wanted everything sports I'd have stayed with DirecTV. If I wanted goofy interactive programming I'd be with E*. I wanted HD. I got Voom. If it's HD I expect it to be on Voom. So I hope that soon after things settle, it will just be more and more HD. :D :D

I'm not suggesting to get rid of all 21 VOOM originals, just the ones no one really watches. You are wrong about having enough sports. Fox Sports West will be broadcasting 102 Angels games this year. That's too much baseball to miss. You say you got VOOM just for HD programming. Why does VOOM even offer SD channels than? It's because, while HD is the future, lots of peoples favorite channels are still SD. Unless VOOM wants to become part of D or E as a packaged HD tier, VOOM needs to have the SD people want or it will fail.

chef-Patrick said:
I am very happy at the rate the new channels are coming in! I don't like all of them but I am not the only person watching Voom. What about a few Canadian channels now? Maybe a few french one from Montreal...

Good Slasher day on Monster Today...
Yes some cool canadian channals would be great..EH!!!

freezetime said:
I'm not suggesting to get rid of all 21 VOOM originals, just the ones no one really watches. You are wrong about having enough sports. Fox Sports West will be broadcasting 102 Angels games this year. That's too much baseball to miss.

Too much to miss? Why not buy tickets and watch them in 3D? There's enough LA Dodger and LA Angels of Anaheim, Clippers, Lakers, Avengers et al games on HD locals. That's my point and BTW I watch all the Vooms. Which one Voom do people not really watch? But yes the SDs are nice pacifiers to make us all feel secure in the beginning. Then we just want HD all the time. Even the kids now find everything boring compared to Anamania and the Family Room Channel.

I am a displaced life long Angels fan and I would LOVE to be able to watch their games! I was born and raised in the LA area but have since been displaced to the midwest.

The only channel from VOOM 21 that I see as a TOTAL wast of space is LAB.

I wish world sport would cover Canadian jr hockey games. The NHL is a mess and I need a hockey fix! :)

socalpanman said:
Too much to miss? Why not buy tickets and watch them in 3D? There's enough LA Dodger and LA Angels of Anaheim, Clippers, Lakers, Avengers et al games on HD locals. That's my point and BTW I watch all the Vooms. Which one Voom do people not really watch? But yes the SDs are nice pacifiers to make us all feel secure in the beginning. Then we just want HD all the time. Even the kids now find everything boring compared to Anamania and the Family Room Channel.

KCAL will broadcast 49 Angels games and Fox 11 will broadcast 5 games. You are telling me it's ok to miss 102 games by not having Fox Sports West?? You don't have the schedule in front of you so you have no idea what you are talking about. I would love to go to lots of Angels games, send me the money and I will be more than happy to go to them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)