2 PVR setup Help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GTC123

Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Hawaii
Hi Everyone,

I have 2 PVR's, an HR20-100 and an HR23-xxx. I would like to use them both off the same dish. The problem is, I am renting and there are only 2 cables coming from the dish (Slimline-3) and there's no way to change that. I have a Zinwell 2 x 4 multiswitch, but that doesn't seem to do anything. Both PVR's work just fine on their own. Is there a cure for this problem? Thanks.

Get a swm and power inserter and then you'll only need to run one line to each

Sent from my iPhone

actually with a SWM he only needs one line from the LNB to a splitter than one able to each DVR

But as the current setup is, no you cant just hook up a multiswitch (plus the 2x4 only works to see 101)

actually with a SWM he only needs one line from the LNB to a splitter than one able to each DVR

But as the current setup is, no you cant just hook up a multiswitch (plus the 2x4 only works to see 101)

OK, as I understand this, I simply take one of the cables (I assume the one that goes into the SWM input on the receiver) and connect that to a splitter (DTV specific splitter?) and then one cable to each of the receivers into the swm jack? That sounds too easy.

Thanks guys.

GTC123 said:
OK, as I understand this, I simply take one of the cables (I assume the one that goes into the SWM input on the receiver) and connect that to a splitter (DTV specific splitter?) and then one cable to each of the receivers into the swm jack? That sounds too easy.

Thanks guys.

1 line from the SWM LNB (on the dish) then into a SWM splitter (yes, it's a special splitter) from the splitter 1 line to EACH receiver. 1 line needs to have a power inserter. It has a special port in the splitter. That's it, easy ;)

If you have two lines coming from your dish now, you don't have a swm lnb. You need to either change the lnb to a swm type, or add two more lines coming from the dish to a swm8 switch. You said you can't add more lines, so you need to get a swm lnb. Then it's one line from the dish to a power inserter, then to a swm splitter. From the splitter run one line to each dvr.

Thanks for pointing that out, Chip. I have now done research (visited the dish) and found there is an SWM attached to it. Only one cable goes to my receiver. The other one I had attached apparently was from an old Dish Network dish which had been disconnected. So now I'm back to needing a splitter and power inserter if I had followed this properly. Are there any specific ones I should get? Thanks everyone.

If you already have a swm lnb, you should have a power inserter, too. If you don't, then you should immediately disconnect your dvrs. Without a power inserter, the dvrs are trying to supply voltage to the swm lnb, but they can't supply enough. You can burn out the power supplies in the dvrs. BTW, just because there is only one cable from the dish that doesn't mean it's a swm lnb. You need to either check the model number or remove it and see how many ports there are on it. A swm has one, a standard lnb has four.

I brought the ladder this time. 4 cables come from the dish and are connected to an SWM-8. From there 1 cable goes to my cottage. While checking satellite signals, I noticed I could check the incoming SWM signal, and all signals are quite good. Since the SWM-8 is powered, can I now assume all I need is something like a green label splitter? Thanks.

GTC123 said:
I brought the ladder this time. 4 cables come from the dish and are connected to an SWM-8. From there 1 cable goes to my cottage. While checking satellite signals, I noticed I could check the incoming SWM signal, and all signals are quite good. Since the SWM-8 is powered, can I now assume all I need is something like a green label splitter? Thanks.

Yup! That's all you need and then tone out the line (locate) lines you'll need and hook them up and run with it

looks like this is working out easier than we originally thought :)

It's easy when I have great advise from you guys! I now have the problem solved, and as a bonus, I'm the proud owner of a useless multiswitch!

Thanks everyone for your help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HR34 self install

Will This SWM Setup Work Correctly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts