2008 MLB All-Star Game

That's good news for Sox fans. Some players are under the impression that participating in the HR Derby may have screwed up their swing for the second half of the season. While this may or may not be true, Bobby Abreu's monster '05 Derby was followed by a mediocre second half...

Sluggers can't blame Derby for second-half power outage

The entire column from the link you posted made a good point.

The notion that one night of swinging for the fences - followed by a couple of days off - can ruin these "All-Stars" swings is ridiculous.

A lot of numbers go down in the second half, for a lot of players that never take part in the derby.
That's baseball.

A lot of numbers go down in the second half, for a lot of players that never take part in the derby.
That's baseball.
I agree, but the fact that the idea is in some of the players heads is interesting. That's probably why you won't see too many veterans taking part in the future. You'll be seeing more of the up-and-coming sluggers instead....

I agree, but the fact that the idea is in some of the players heads is interesting. That's probably why you won't see too many veterans taking part in the future. You'll be seeing more of the up-and-coming sluggers instead....

Rather than "getting in their heads," I think it has more to do with the fact that plenty of them are prima donnas who don't care that fans would love to see them hit. They'd just rather have the night off.

I'd actually have more respect for those that said, "I don't want to do it. Baseball's a long season. I want a night off."

I think it may be more of a status thing too. Maybe the more popular players won't join because they think they're too good or something. Kind of like when the bigger names in the NBA (ie. LeBron James and Kobe) don't partake in the dunk contest anymore.

I just think, being in front of their own home crowd, at least 1 Yankee should've participated for the sake of the fans.

I just think, being in front of their own home crowd, at least 1 Yankee should've participated for the sake of the fans.

Sometimes, a home guy being in the derby at his own stadium isn't always a good thing.

Remember when Jim Thome laid an egg in 1997?

My MVP possibiilities for tonight (in order):

1. Joe Mauer
2. Derek Jeter
3. Grady Sizemore

Obviously by looking at my choices, I think the AL wins. :D

What if......

On Mike & Mike this morning, they brought up a scenario that could happen tonight that may result in the largest booing of a player in Yankee Stadium History......

Apparently Boston's closer, Johnathan Papelbon already said that he wants to be the closer of tonight's game if the game is on the line going into the 9th. Papelbon is without a doubt an outstanding closer and his comments are indeed justifiable, but can you imagine if in that scenario and on the final All-Star Game in historic Yankee stadium, if the AL Manager selects Papelbon to come dancing out of the bullpen instead of Mariano Rivera!?!!! :eek: Rivera has meant everything to the Yankees and is without a doubt the best closer in the history of the game IMO. But if Papelbon is selected over the home crowd favorite Rivera, chaoas will surely insue.....

You won't have to worry about that drama. Papelbon himself basically said he won't be closing:

"Of course, I want to be the one to close out the All-Star Game," Papelbon said. "I wouldn't be Jonathan Papelbon if I didn't feel that way. But this game had been great to all of us, and we all owe this game something. If what I owe is to step aside and let the elder statesman go before me, then that's what it is."

Francona Likely To Let Rivera Close -- Courant.com

You won't have to worry about that drama. Papelbon himself basically said he won't be closing:

"Of course, I want to be the one to close out the All-Star Game," Papelbon said. "I wouldn't be Jonathan Papelbon if I didn't feel that way. But this game had been great to all of us, and we all owe this game something. If what I owe is to step aside and let the elder statesman go before me, then that's what it is."

Francona Likely To Let Rivera Close -- Courant.com

Well then, Papelbon deserves some respect for his comments. Mike & Mike must have just been stirring the pot as usual as they omitted that last sentence from their discussion....

Well then, Papelbon deserves some respect for his comments. Mike & Mike must have just been stirring the pot as usual as they omitted that last sentence from their discussion....

Ok then, because after reading your comments pertaining to the Mike and Mike Show I was ready to rip Papelbon................and I love the guy. Sorry, but this night belongs to Mo Rivera............if it gets to that situation.

Rivera has meant everything to the Yankees and is without a doubt the best closer in the history of the game IMO.

I agree. At the very least he's in the discussion with the likes of Fingers, Gossage, Sutter, Eckersley, et al. IMO, Gossage was the most intimidating closer I've ever seen, but Mo is the best.

Here's what will happen, if the game is close in the late innings, they will bring in Papelbon in the 8th and Rivera in the 9th and hope it doesn't go to extra innings.

How would you like to be the pitcher that does NOT get into the game because they had to save someone IN CASE it goes into extras, most likely this may be a player that is not a regular and possibly his only chance to get there ?

Jimbo

How would you like to be the pitcher that does NOT get into the game because they had to save someone IN CASE it goes into extras, most likely this may be a player that is not a regular and possibly his only chance to get there ?

Jimbo
That's going to be a by-product of the tie a few years ago. The strategy used to be get everyone into the game and whoops, we ran out of players!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)