2009 Men's NCAA Basketball Tournament

It's just the way of the world right now...most of the best basketball players that come from Northern states are from NY/NJ, Philly, and the Pacific Northwest...those players go to traditional powers or warm weather. Everybody else in southern states goes to the same schools. The Big Ten is getting cut out because of it. It has effected Big East football, but not basketball because of the tradition. The problem is that the Big Ten schools don't have storied baskeball programs...Ohio State cheats enough to get good recruits, and Indiana (a storied tradition) tried that for a year, Minnesota did it for a decade...but that's what it's going to take. Out of the top 15 NBA players (based on Dimes list) only one is from the big 10
That's not completely true. The midwest has great players. Indiana is one of the best recruiting grounds in the country. Bill Self has a pipeline going from Chicago to Lawrence. The problem is that Big Ten teams can't get any of these guys. If Tom Crean starts to hold down the fort with Indiana players the Hoosiers are going to be a power again soon.

That's not completely true. The midwest has great players. Indiana is one of the best recruiting grounds in the country. Bill Self has a pipeline going from Chicago to Lawrence. The problem is that Big Ten teams can't get any of these guys. If Tom Crean starts to hold down the fort with Indiana players the Hoosiers are going to be a power again soon.

Everywhere has "good" players, but name 4 or 5 impact guys from that area... impact in the nba I mean...the amount of players from the seattle area alone have trumped all those states

ricky roe was a fictional player:)

Those guys were good. Well not Koufos. He sucks. But the point is nobody can hang on to good players for long. You have to constantly get new good players. Bruce Weber was handed a loaded team thanks to Bill Self, and he hasn't done jack since then. Thad Motta gets Oden and Mike Conely to spend a few months in Columbus and now Ohio St is back to being irrelevant in basketball. The quality of talent right now in the Big Ten is closer to the Missouri Valley than the ACC or Big East. The difference is that Missouri Valley schools have to take what they can get. Big Ten teams shouldn't have to.

You do realize the Buckeyes lost 4 of their 5 starters from their '06-'07 team to the NBA Draft, don't you? Rome wasn't built over night.

Everywhere has "good" players, but name 4 or 5 impact guys from that area... impact in the nba I mean...the amount of players from the seattle area alone have trumped all those states
I'm not talking about the NBA. What matters is having good players for the college level. Pittsburgh probably doesn't have any good NBA players besides Dejuan Blair but that doesn't mean they aren't a very good college team.

You do realize the Buckeyes lost 4 of their 5 starters from their '06-'07 team to the NBA Draft, don't you? Rome wasn't built over night.
Carolina lost its top 7 players after 2005. Kansas lost its starting 5 after last season. Memphis lost most of their top players. UCLA reached 3 straight FF's with a different lineup each year. That's what good programs do. They replace good players. That's what Jim Tressel does with the Ohio St football team.

It's just the way of the world right now...most of the best basketball players that come from Northern states are from NY/NJ, Philly, and the Pacific Northwest...those players go to traditional powers or warm weather. Everybody else in southern states goes to the same schools. The Big Ten is getting cut out because of it. It has effected Big East football, but not basketball because of the tradition. The problem is that the Big Ten schools don't have storied baskeball programs...Ohio State cheats enough to get good recruits, and Indiana (a storied tradition) tried that for a year, Minnesota did it for a decade...but that's what it's going to take. Out of the top 15 NBA players (based on Dimes list) only one is from the big 10

I'm pretty sure you're just trying to be controversial with your off the wall posts, but what on Earth do you mean "Ohio State cheats to get good recruits"???

Clearly you're ignorant to the mid-west. The state of Ohio and the surrounding Great Lakes states are a hot-bed for athletic talent. From our high schools on, you won't find more competitive or talented athletes on the face of the earth!

BTW, it was no coincidence that the state of Ohio had more colleges (5) than any other state in the country to be represented in this year's NCAA Tournament. (Xavier, Ohio State, Cleveland State, Akron and Dayton).

I'm pretty sure you're just trying to be controversial with your off the wall posts, but what on Earth do you mean "Ohio State cheats to get good recruits"???
They do have a history of run ins with the NCAA. Ohio St was on probation in basketball as recently as 2005. But that was his comment not mine.

Clearly you're ignorant to the mid-west. The state of Ohio and the surrounding Great Lakes states are a hot-bed for athletic talent. From our high schools on, you won't find more competitive or talented athletes on the face of the earth!

BTW, it was no coincidence that the state of Ohio had more colleges (5) than any other state in the country to be represented in this year's NCAA Tournament. (Xavier, Ohio State, Cleveland State, Akron and Dayton).

Not too off the wall, think Mo Clarett was the only Ohio State athlete to get paid? I know every school worth their weight in athletics do it, but they do it more than anybody except USC.

And I know there are five schools from Ohio, but that's because they are all mid-majors. Ohio is the land of Mid-Majors...the Indians are mid major (somewhere between AAA and the MLB)

Carolina lost its top 7 players after 2005. Kansas lost its starting 5 after last season. Memphis lost most of their top players. UCLA reached 3 straight FF's with a different lineup each year. That's what good programs do. They replace good players. That's what Jim Tressel does with the Ohio St football team.

Great. We'll be back next year.

Thad Matta is an excellent recruiter. Probably too good actually.

Not too off the wall, think Mo Clarett was the only Ohio State athlete to get paid? I know every school worth their weight in athletics do it, but they do it more than anybody except USC.

And I know there are five schools from Ohio, but that's because they are all mid-majors. Ohio is the land of Mid-Majors...the Indians are mid major (somewhere between AAA and the MLB)

:rolleyes:

Over the last 15 years combined the Indians are somewhere in the top 5 in MLB wins, and they're somewhere between AAA and MLB??? :confused:

Flame much? :rolleyes:

lolololool...you're an ass...you were drafted by the Indians, weren't you???? and you were recruited to hoop at penn state!!! Jig is up, buddy!!!!

lolololool...you're an ass...you were drafted by the Indians, weren't you???? and you were recruited to hoop at penn state!!! Jig is up, buddy!!!!

lolololoololol...i didn't think anybody twitter'd in the midwest!! Now you know what I do all day!!!!! Oh, yeah...I love cleveland. Its a true American city. I would't live there but I had a blast whenever I had to go.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)