2010 NCAA Football Season

And other perennial powerhouse teams such as La Tech, Utah State, Idaho, etc.

I almost choked on my Pepsi when I read that, though. :D

As I said, I don't think you pay much attention to the actual results and matchups. Fresno State always plays a tough out of conference schedule and has had some big defeats. They took down Cincinnati in the first game this year. I don't think Cincinnati's that good, but all of you would claim they were a viable opponent. Utah State happens to be a pretty decent team this year. They went down to the last play in Norman earlier this year in a 7 point loss (what was the score of the Oklahoma-Florida State game?). And yet FSU is ranked in the top 25. I'm not saying the conference is on a par with the SEC, but you don't give any credit to any of them no matter how often they bite your boys in the butt. I give credit where credit is due and respect where it is earned. I just don't see any objectivity from the lot of you and all your arguments are air, and you choose to ignore facts.

As I said, I don't think you pay much attention to the actual results and matchups. Fresno State always plays a tough out of conference schedule and has had some big defeats. They took down Cincinnati in the first game this year. I don't think Cincinnati's that good, but all of you would claim they were a viable opponent. Utah State happens to be a pretty decent team this year. They went down to the last play in Norman earlier this year in a 7 point loss (what was the score of the Oklahoma-Florida State game?). And yet FSU is ranked in the top 25. I'm not saying the conference is on a par with the SEC, but you don't give any credit to any of them no matter how often they bite your boys in the butt. I give credit where credit is due and respect where it is earned. I just don't see any objectivity from the lot of you and all your arguments are air, and you choose to ignore facts.

Your WEST coast BIAS is stunning.

My only real problem with those teams is they don't schedule much of an out of conference schedule. Yes they might play one game that is tough but I would like to see them play week after week tough teams. Why did BSU turn down the offer from Nebraska to do a three game series? If they want to be treated like a big boy they should have jumped all over this offer.

I will also not give OSU any credit on the out of conference schedule this year. They played Miami but they also had three games that were a scrimmage. I am OK with one of these types of games but come on, and get a few more games that will boost your strength of schedule.

My only real problem with those teams is they don't schedule much of an out of conference schedule. Yes they might play one game that is tough but I would like to see them play week after week tough teams. Why did BSU turn down the offer from Nebraska to do a three game series? If they want to be treated like a big boy they should have jumped all over this offer.

I will also not give OSU any credit on the out of conference schedule this year. They played Miami but they also had three games that were a scrimmage. I am OK with one of these types of games but come on, and get a few more games that will boost your strength of schedule.
Very few of the top teams play a really strong OOC schedule, if any. For poll position they might schedule one team that they know is stronger, and get lucky and have another lined up that just happens to be strong but was weaker when they were scheduled. You can't single out one team over another for that. Playing a weak conference schedule is what you need to look at.

As for tOSU, we will find out a bit more about how good they are this weekend. If they handle Wisconsin like they've handled the rest, maybe they might be a different team than we've seen in the past. They have the talent. We won't know for sure until the second to last game of the season when they play Iowa. To be honest, as an SEC fan and living up here in Ohio, I think this Buckeye team is different than the ones I've pulled against in the past. I believe they'll go undefeated and deservedly get to play in the MNC.

And who knows, maybe my Tigers will continue to stupefy the world and be the ones to beat them in that game. :D

Last edited:
Very few of the top teams play a really strong OOC schedule, if any. For poll position they might schedule one team that they know is stronger, and get lucky and have another lined up that just happens to be strong but was weaker when they were scheduled. You can't single out one team over another for that. Playing a weak conference schedule is what you need to look at.

As for tOSU, we will find out a bit more about how good they are this weekend. If they handle Wisconsin like they've handled the rest, maybe they might be a different team than we've seen in the past. They have the talent. We won't know for sure until the second to last game of the season when they play Iowa. To be honest, as an SEC fan and living up here in Ohio, I think this Buckeye team is different than the ones I've pulled against in the past. I believe they'll go undefeated and deservedly get to play in the MNC.

And who knows, maybe my Tigers will continue to stupefy the world and be the ones to beat them in that game. :D

Hopefully they will be healthy by then, thier D is becoming quite an injured bunch.

Oh boy....this will cause a stir...

...not because of what was done...everyone has always known that agents pay college players...but there are ALOT of names here, some BIG names.

Updated: October 12, 2010, 9:01 PM ET

Report: Josh Luchs says he paid players

ESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- A former sports agent told Sports Illustrated he paid college football players early in his career, and several of them confirmed it to the magazine.

In the Oct. 18 edition, Josh Luchs said he paid more than 30 players from 1990 to '96, including many who didn't sign with him.

He said quarterback Ryan Leaf, the second pick in the 1998 draft who famously flopped in the pros, took more than $10,000, most of which he voluntarily paid back after signing with another agent. Leaf declined to comment on specific allegations.

Luchs told the magazine he also paid first-round picks Jamir Miller and Chris Mims. Miller, a linebacker from UCLA taken 10th by the Cardinals in 1994, declined comment. Mims, a defensive lineman from Tennessee taken 23rd by the Chargers in 1992, died in 2008.

The former agent also said that while he was recruiting Ohio State receiver Santonio Holmes in 2005, Holmes said he had been taking money from an agent for a couple of years. Holmes, now with the Jets, told the magazine and ESPNNewYork.com that the story was untrue.

Luchs was suspended for a year by the NFL Players Association in 2007 over the handling of a commission check. He says he's telling his story because "I don't want my career to be defined by that suspension."

Luchs says he didn't pay players while working with Gary Wichard, the agent linked to the investigation of NCAA violations at North Carolina. But he says Wichard and John Blake, the Tar Heels assistant who resigned amid the investigation, worked together in violation of NCAA rules in 2002.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said Tuesday that the league has talked to college coaches and agents about reports that a coach was on an agent's payroll.

Report: Ex-sports agent says he paid college football players, including Ryan Leaf, Jamir Miller, Chris Mims - ESPN

You can't single out one team over another for that. Playing a weak conference schedule is what you need to look at.

I 100% agree with you on this point. I singled OSU out to make a point that it is just not BSU that I had a problem with. I could pretty much hit almost every team and do the same complaining. I also choose them as I am a fan (2nd favorite college team).

To be honest, as an SEC fan and living up here in Ohio, I think this Buckeye team is different than the ones I've pulled against in the past. I believe they'll go undefeated and deservedly get to play in the MNC.

I also live in the heart of Buckeye country but I am not thinking the same as you. I think that they have a few big holes that actually make me have more doubts than in the past. I am not sure they will get through the rest of their schedule untouched. This is the fun about being in one of the major conferences, any one of the teams could beat the top team of the conference. This is also my hate of BSU as their conference schedule is pretty much everybody else's warm up games at the beginning of the year.

You don't think the info that was shown last week was accurate in the BcS preview show ?
If it wasn't, they wouldn't have a show.

ESPN doesn't concern themselves with accuracy on subject matter, after all, they are ESPN. It would honestly surprise me if the average IQ of the talking heads and "analysts" there was even positive. (Analysts = someone with head firmly up their...... well, you know where.)

This season's BcS ratings are not even out yet, so saying who will be #1 is pure BS at this point, unless the games are all fixed. :shocked
While the BCS itself is not out, the individual computer rankings are, which can easily be converted to the BCS computer score.
The Harris Poll also came out on October 10th, so all they had to do was add the three components, and viola, BCS rankings were made.

Harris Interactive BCS Poll - 10/10/2010

Computer Ratings
Links to all the computer ratings
Jeff Sagarin
Anderson Sports
Richard Billingsley
Colley Matrix
Kenneth Massey
Dr. Peter Wolfe - doesn't come out until next week

A team's highest and lowest computer ranking will be discarded from figuring a team's computer poll average. Points will be assigned in inverse order of ranking from 1-25. The four remaining computer scores will be averaged and the total will be calculated as a percentage of 100.
All three components -- The Harris Interactive Poll, the USA Today Coaches Poll and the computer rankings -- shall be added together and averaged for a team's ranking in the BCS standings. The team with the highest average shall rank first in the BCS standings.

Last edited:
Computer rankings are very deceiving this time of year. Boise State has already played the toughest part of their schedule, and most major conference teams have not. Assuming they win, those teams' ranking will go up. Even if Boise State wins, their ranking will go down.

Of course now the major conference teams have to worry about actually winning, while Boise gets to trick play themselves into 45-10 victories week after week.

Sandra

Computer rankings are very deceiving this time of year. Boise State has already played the toughest part of their schedule, and most major conference teams have not. Assuming they win, those teams' ranking will go up. Even if Boise State wins, their ranking will go down.
Same with Human Polls (Texas and Va Tech are big examples), which is why I wouldn't do either until late October.

ESPN doesn't concern themselves with accuracy on subject matter, after all, they are ESPN. It would honestly surprise me if the average IQ of the talking heads and "analysts" there was even positive. (Analysts = someone with head firmly up their...... well, you know where.)

I'm not taking about the guys that chose how they would vote.
I'm talking about the one that was on the TOP, that was the BcS poll.

Rebel Black Bear is new Ole Miss mascot - WLOX-TV and WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

And check out that snazzy mascot.

13322982_BG1.jpg

Must-see games this weekend:

3:30 PM California-USC Fox Sports Net

Yes, that's it. Not a good weekend in the must-see world. Lots of interesting conference games so I'll be watching all day Saturday, but not only is nothing else must-see, Cal-USC barely makes this list as well.

I know, I know, Wisconsin-Ohio State is must see for some of you, but not for me. Ohio State hasn't beaten anyone yet, and if they win Saturday, that statement will still hold. But take heart, Buckeye Nation, it is one of those interesting conference games. ;)

Probably a good time for a brief explanation of what I determine 'must-see'. It's a game that anyone should watch, whether it involves their team or not, just because you like college football. In my mind, Wisconsin-Ohio State doesn't meet that standard.

Of course it is must-see for some of us, just like Fordham-Yale and Northern Colorado-Eastern Washington is also must-see for some people. But not me.

Sandra

Last edited:
I would say #7Auburn at #12 Arkansas is a must watch by any standard this weekend. As this one could have SEC and national title implications.
2:30 on CBS

As well as Ohio Stat and Wisconsin at 6 pm central

I would say #7Auburn at #12 Arkansas is a must watch by any standard this weekend. As this one could have SEC and national title implications.
2:30 on CBS

As well as Ohio Stat and Wisconsin at 6 pm central

That one came close too, but I decided against it. :)

I'm a tough grader because in some weeks I don't want to list 15 'miust-see' games, because that's silly. Just bad luck that this week there are so few.

Sandra

Center Ice Screw up

GREAT baseball read about Cuba and their plans on stopping defections

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)