2010 Winter Olympics

TMC1982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 26, 2008
NBC's Vancouver Olympics are down 24% from Salt Lake City
Comparing Vancouver vs. Salt Lake City is more apt because the 2006 Torino Olympics were the lowest-rated since 1988. PLUS: Dear NBC: "Show the games live, already!"

Rick Krakauer of Mediaite says some cable systems aren't airing NBC Universal's coverage of the Winter Olympics and are getting horrid programming in return.

Eric Wilbur of the Boston Globe says NBC isn't apologizing for delaying certain events.

Bob Raissman of the New York Daily News is not a fan of Al Trautwig's Olympic work.

Pete Dougherty of the Albany Times Union has some early Olympic announcing likes and dislikes.

From the Washington Examiner, Jim Williams writes that NBC's Tom Brokaw was a big hit on the first day of Olympics coverage.

Barry Sviruga of the Washington Post was dismayed at how NBC butchered coverage of the men's downhill on Monday. Thanks to The Big Lead for the link.

Leonard Shapiro feels NBC was right in airing the footage of the death of Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili, but not more than once.

Barry Horn of the Dallas Morning News tells us not to get so riled up about NBC's taped delay action during the Olympics.

Ron Judd of the Seattle Times is fed up of the NBC Olympics tape delays.

Lowell Ullrich of The Province likes some of the new voices that the Olympics Broadcasting Consortium have brought to the small screen.

William Houston in Truth & Rumours writes that some announcers are rooting for the home team a bit too much.

Steve Lepore at Puck The Media feels NBC's cable networks failed to pick up the slack for Olympic hockey coverage.

TMC1982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 26, 2008
Curling is on USA mid day again tomorrow... I've been stuck with figure skating late night, so will record curling etc. to watch later... ;) got started watching curling many years ago with C-band & CBC..

The Canadian curling announcers:
The primary team will be Vic Rauter, Ray Turnbull and Linda Moore. Bryan Mudyrk, Russ Howard and Cathy Gauthier will be the second team. Dan Murphy will report from ice level. APTN will use Keith McMahon, Arnold Asham and Al Hackner for their coverage.

Men's
Day #5 - Tuesday 2/16:
9:00am, Draw #1: Canada vs. Norway. CTV. Vic Rauter, Ray Turnbull, Linda Moore, Dan Murphy
9:30am, Draw #1: Great Britain vs. Sweden. TSN (JIP). Bryan Mudyrk, Russ Howard, Cathy Gauthier
7:00pm, Draw #3: Canada vs. Germany. TSN. Vic Rauter, Ray Turnbull, Linda Moore, Dan Murphy
7:00pm, Draw #3: Norway vs. United States. APTN. Keith McMahon, Arnold Asham, Al Hackner

Day #6 - Wednesday 2/17:
2:00pm, Draw #5: Switzerland vs. United States. S-Net.

Day #7 - Thursday 2/18:
9:00am, Draw #7: Canada vs. Sweden. CTV.
9:00am, Draw #7: Great Britain vs. Switzerland. S-Net.
9:00am, Draw #7: Denmark vs. United States. APTN.
7:00pm, Draw #9: Canada vs. France. S-Net.

Day #8 - Friday 2/19:
2:00pm, Draw #11: Canada vs. Denmark. TSN.

Day #9 - Saturday 2/20:
9:00am, Draw #13: Denmark vs. Norway. S-Net.
9:00am, Draw #13: Sweden vs. United States. APTN.
7:00pm, Draw #15: Canada vs. Great Britain. S-Net.

Day #10 - Sunday 2/21:
2:30pm, Draw #17: Canada vs. Switzerland. TSN.

Day #11 - Monday 2/22:
9:00am, Draw #19: Canada vs. United States. CTV.
9:00am, Draw #19: Teams TBA. APTN
7:30pm, Draw #21: Great Britain vs. Germany. TSN.

Day #12 - Tuesday 2/23:
2:15pm, Draw #23: Canada vs. China. TSN.
2:30pm, Draw #23: Great Britain vs. Norway. S-Net.

Day #14 - Thursday 2/25:
2:00pm, Semi Final: Teams TBA. TSN.
2:00pm, Semi Final: Teams TBA. S-Net.

Day #16 - Saturday 2/27:
9:00am, 3rd Place Game: Teams TBA. TSN.
3:00pm, Final: Teams TBA. CTV.

Women's
Day #5 - Tuesday 2/16:
2:30pm, Draw #2: Canada vs. Switzerland. TSN. Bryan Mudyrk, Russ Howard, Cathy Gauthier, Dan Murphy

Day #6 - Wednesday 2/17:
9:00am, Draw #4: Canada vs. Japan. S-Net. Vic Rauter, Ray Turnbull, Linda Moore, Dan Murphy
9:00am, Draw #4: Sweden vs. Switzerland. APTN. Keith McMahon, Arnold Asham, Al Hackner
7:00pm, Draw #6: Great Britain vs. Switzerland. TSN.

Day #7 - Thursday 2/18:
2:00pm, Draw #8: Canada vs. Germany. TSN.

Day #8 - Friday 2/19:
9:00am, Draw #10: China vs. Denmark. APTN.
7:00pm, Draw #12: Canada vs. Denmark. S-Net.

Day #9 - Saturday 2/20:
2:00pm, Draw #14: Great Britain vs. United States. TSN.

Day #10 - Sunday 2/21:
9:00am, Draw #16: Canada vs. United States. CTV.
9:00am, Draw #16: Teams TBA. APTN.
7:00pm, Draw #18: Canada vs. China. TSN.

Day #11 - Monday 2/22:
2:00pm, Draw #20: Canada vs. Sweden. S-Net.
2:30pm, Draw #20: Denmark vs. Great Britain. TSN.

Day #12 - Tuesday 2/23:
9:00am, Draw #22: Canada vs. Great Britain. S-Net.
9:00am, Draw #22: China vs. United States. TSN.
7:00pm, Draw #24: Canada vs. Russia. S-Net.

Day #14 - Thursday 2/25:
9:00am, Semi Final: Teams TBA. CTV.
9:00am, Semi Final: Teams TBA. S-Net.

Day #15 - Friday 2/26:
9:00am, 3rd Place Game: Teams TBA. S-Net.
3:00pm, Final: Teams TBA. TSN.

anders5189

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 11, 2008
Good action in the women's downhill today. Americans take gold and silver. Lindsey Vonn won the gold and there were lots of spectacular crashes.

Not so spectacular was the French skiier who fell down not 50 feet out of the starting gate. Better luck in 4 years. :D

TMC1982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 26, 2008
The Sports Business Daily/Journal Winter Olympics sites notes that NBC got a big ratings win over American Idol on Wednesday.

The Wall Street Journal's Jason Gay answers questions about NBC's Olympic coverage and Tiger Woods' statement.

USA Today's Michael Hiestand writes about Tuesday's Olympic ratings which did not quite match American Idol.

Sports Illustrated's Richard Deitsch has your Olympic viewing guide.

SI's Michael Rosenberg is frustrated by NBC's tape delayed Olympics.

In the New York Times, Bill Carter and Richard Sandomir write that American Idol remains the gold standard in the ratings, but what will they write about last night's AI defeat?

Brian Stelter of the Times wonders why there isn't more live streaming available at NBCOlympics.com.

Ken McMillan in the Hudson Valley Times Herald-Record says New York doesn't share the same interest in the Olympics as Canadians.

Alan Pergament of the Buffalo News notes that the Olympics also beat American Idol in Western New York last night.

Michael Kline in the Lansdale (PA) Reporter feels NBC puts any Olympics competition on the back burner at the expense of creating drama and storylines.

In the Washington Post, Dan Steinberg in the DC Sports Bog notes that NBC's Mike Milbury and Jeremy Roenick went all out arguing about Alex Ovechkin.

Barry is amazed how the Olympics trounced American Idol on Wednesday.

Bob Wolfley in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel says local viewers are watching the Olympics in droves.

Jim O'Connell of the Chicago Sun-Times says Tiger will push the Olympics to the back pages for one day.

Bob Mayhall of the St. Louis Globe-Democrat says Gateway City residents are watching the Olympics.

Chris Zelkovich of the Toronto Star feels one CTV analyst went too far in his comments.

William Houston in Truth & Rumours talks to a veteran Olympics TV producer about the Vancouver Games.

And writing for Yahoo.ca, William says hockey should give CTV a big ratings boost, not that it needs it.

The Sports Media Watch says the Olympics pulled a huge ratings upset on American Idol on Wednesday.

Chris Byrne at the Eye on Sports Media wishes NBC would explain the rules of curling during the Olympics.

Steve Lepore at Puck The Media says NBC is treating hockey fans like dogs.

TMC1982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 26, 2008
The Sports Business Daily/Journal Winter Olympics sites notes that NBC got a big ratings win over American Idol on Wednesday.

The Wall Street Journal's Jason Gay answers questions about NBC's Olympic coverage and Tiger Woods' statement.

USA Today's Michael Hiestand writes about Tuesday's Olympic ratings which did not quite match American Idol.

Sports Illustrated's Richard Deitsch has your Olympic viewing guide.

SI's Michael Rosenberg is frustrated by NBC's tape delayed Olympics.

In the New York Times, Bill Carter and Richard Sandomir write that American Idol remains the gold standard in the ratings, but what will they write about last night's AI defeat?

Brian Stelter of the Times wonders why there isn't more live streaming available at NBCOlympics.com.

Ken McMillan in the Hudson Valley Times Herald-Record says New York doesn't share the same interest in the Olympics as Canadians.

Alan Pergament of the Buffalo News notes that the Olympics also beat American Idol in Western New York last night.

Michael Kline in the Lansdale (PA) Reporter feels NBC puts any Olympics competition on the back burner at the expense of creating drama and storylines.

In the Washington Post, Dan Steinberg in the DC Sports Bog notes that NBC's Mike Milbury and Jeremy Roenick went all out arguing about Alex Ovechkin.

Barry is amazed how the Olympics trounced American Idol on Wednesday.

Bob Wolfley in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel says local viewers are watching the Olympics in droves.

Jim O'Connell of the Chicago Sun-Times says Tiger will push the Olympics to the back pages for one day.

Bob Mayhall of the St. Louis Globe-Democrat says Gateway City residents are watching the Olympics.

Chris Zelkovich of the Toronto Star feels one CTV analyst went too far in his comments.

William Houston in Truth & Rumours talks to a veteran Olympics TV producer about the Vancouver Games.

And writing for Yahoo.ca, William says hockey should give CTV a big ratings boost, not that it needs it.

The Sports Media Watch says the Olympics pulled a huge ratings upset on American Idol on Wednesday.

Chris Byrne at the Eye on Sports Media wishes NBC would explain the rules of curling during the Olympics.

Steve Lepore at Puck The Media says NBC is treating hockey fans like dogs.

I posted these same links in Television Without Pity's Olympic forum, and let's just say that some folks didn't take too kindly to my methods:
Warned by Notes Strega Warned on Yesterday @ 10:05 pm Added to warn level Please reread the FAQ about posting links. It's fine to post links to relevant articles and items online, but:

1) Don't post entire articles.

2) Please don't repost excerpts from comments/forums at other sites. You can link to media coverage. Quotes from random unknown posters on other sites really aren't relevant or interesting.

These are not minor matters of taste -- they are copyright issues.

Honestly, it's sort of odd that all you seem to post are links and excerpts from other sites, and it's getting to be disruptive. So I'm asking you to tone it down, and make sure you understand that we only want links that are relevant to the existing conversation. That means, don't start a thread just to post links to other sites, or take over a thread with linkspam.:(

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
I found it useful, but if it's a Copy/Paste from somewhere else, especially if written/compiled originally by someone else, that would be wrong.

Paul Wozniak

SatelliteGuys Master
Oct 26, 2005
Hamtramck,MI
If you put the male figure skaters in short skirts and make-up (scratch that, they are wearing make-up) it would be like watching the girls. When did skating become such a non-matter in this competition. last night looked more like watching an interpretive dance company, than anything resembling a skating competition. Just sad.

One more rant - How does Shaun only get a 48.4 on his last "drop-in" in snowboarding? Nobody but him and his coaches have ever seen that trick. So how can they say he did it wrong, when it's never been done before? That kid is just so far ahead of his competition, that they should just hand him the gold for the next Olympics now, and just let everyone else just slug it out for the silver and bronze. Never seen anybody come out of the pipe like that. He just looks like he is out there just having fun on a Saturday afternoon. I could here him when he somebody first told him he could get paid for snowboarding - "Dude, let me get this straight, I go snowboarding, and everyone will throw money at me? That's all I got to do?" Incredible athlete who just seems happy to be there.

stardust3

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2006
I've been watching the Olympics every night & have really enjoyed it so far. I don't agree with some of the judging, but am just an armchair QB with my own opinions.

One thing that has impressed me is the way some of these people crash & burn then get back up with a smile & finish their routines. If I were in their shoes I would sit there & cry in pain and emotional defeat only to be carried away. :eek: What a testament to these games for the human mind & not just the athletic ability. I applaud all the competitors.

anders5189

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 11, 2008
If you put the male figure skaters in short skirts and make-up (scratch that, they are wearing make-up) it would be like watching the girls. When did skating become such a non-matter in this competition. last night looked more like watching an interpretive dance company, than anything resembling a skating competition. Just sad.
:up I can't really say what I think about the men's figure skating because it would look really bad, but it's in the direction you're headed.

The Harrington

SatelliteGuys Family
May 3, 2006
NYC/Lehigh Valley, PA
cannot friggin believe that I have Dish network's top tier HD package and I can't watch the US v. Canada hockey game in HD cause it is on MSNBC but if I had a lesser package I could watch it in HD. What makes it worse is that CNBC Is showing curling in HD!! #&%$!

Rangers484

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 21, 2007
Palmyra, Virginia, United States
cannot friggin believe that I have Dish network's top tier HD package and I can't watch the US v. Canada hockey game in HD cause it is on MSNBC but if I had a lesser package I could watch it in HD. What makes it worse is that CNBC Is showing curling in HD!! #&%$!

What am I missing? I have 250 with HD and Platinum and am watching it now in HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)