2011-12 NFL Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still predicting that Suh will be a big factor in the Lions' defense for this game. As for the offense, well we know that the Lions love to pass so that's obvious. If only injured reserve players can be returned to the active list for postseason games. You figure if RB Jahvid Best was ready to play and if he can be allowed to play, the Lions would have their running game back.

If he's ready then he shouldn't have been put in IR...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If he's ready then he shouldn't have been put in IR...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

They put him in IR weeks ago because he was dealing with concussion issues. I have no idea if he's actually ready to play by now. I was just speaking theoretically. To me, if a player was put in IR during the regular season and his team makes the postseason, I think the NFL should allow that team the ability to put that player back on the active list for the postseason if he is ready to play (especially if the player is one of their team's best for that certain position.) That way the team has a better chance to play their best during the most critical time they are out on the field. Of course if that same team has to waive off other players to do this because of roster restrictions, then that's fine. The team would decide what they want to do.

They put him in IR weeks ago because he was dealing with concussion issues. I have no idea if he's actually ready to play by now. I was just speaking theoretically. To me, if a player was put in IR during the regular season and his team makes the postseason, I think the NFL should allow that team the ability to put that player back on the active list for the postseason if he is ready to play (especially if the player is one of their team's best for that certain position.) That way the team has a better chance to play their best during the most critical time they are out on the field. Of course if that same team has to waive off other players to do this because of roster restrictions, then that's fine. The team would decide what they want to do.
Sounds like something that would get taken advantage of quickly. What would stop a team from IR'ing a player to rest him, freeing up a roster spot, then taking him off IR for the playoffs??

Certainly the NFL would put rules in place to make sure that the player is actually injured when being put in IR (such as proof of injury if that makes any sense.)

He's been on IR since the week after Cutler broke his thumb. The Bears didn't IR Cutler until they were eliminated from the playoffs ~2 weeks ago, which is what the Lions should have done if they expected Best to be able to play in the postseason. They apparently didn't, or want to protect him from any further concussions this season so to IR he went regardless of the teams postseason chances.

It's not like he's been on it since week 3 or something, I don't think the rules need tweaking.

If they extend the season at all, I could see a short term roster exemption for x number of players or something (like an in-season PUP list... a static number of games), but that's unlikely considering the longevity and injury prevention moves they've made.

Certainly the NFL would put rules in place to make sure that the player is actually injured when being put in IR (such as proof of injury if that makes any sense.)
That would never work. Would the league have to hire doctors to decide if the player is injured?? It just sounds impossible to manage.

I think the current process works fine. If there's any chance a player can come back, you don't IR him. Peyton Manning wasn't IR'ed, just in case he could have played.

should've put this here:

steeler safety Ryan Clark will be out for this weekend's game against the broncos. still think steelers win this one.

Prediction: the conference championship games will have both top seeds (Ravens vs. Patriots, Saints vs. Packers)

Before the season started, my Super Bowl prediction was Packers over Ravens. Will it stay that way?

AFC
Bengals
over Texans
Steelers over Broncos

Patriots over Bengals
Ravens over Steelers

Ravens over Patriots

NFC
Saints over Lions
Giants over Falcons

Saints over 49ers
Giants over Packers- yes, that's right

Saints over Giants

Super Bowl XLVI
Ravens over Saints....................MVP- Ray Rice

I play too...the playoffs according to Sandra:

AFC
Texans
over Bengals
Steelers over Broncos

Patriots over Steelers
Ravens over Texans

Patriots over Ravens

NFC
Saints
over Lions
Giants over Falcons

Saints over 49ers
Packers over Giants

Packers over Saints

Super Bowl XLVI
Patriots
over Packers................MVP - Tom Brady of course

Sandra

I play too...the playoffs according to Sandra:

AFC
Texans
over Bengals
Steelers over Broncos

Patriots over Steelers
Ravens over Texans

Patriots over Ravens

NFC
Saints
over Lions
Giants over Falcons

Saints over 49ers
Packers over Giants

Packers over Saints

Super Bowl XLVI
Patriots
over Packers................MVP - Tom Brady of course

Sandra

I like it Sandra. And if that were to happen, Brady would HAVE to be MVP.

Why? He would need to put up 60 on the Packers.

I like it Sandra. And if that were to happen, Brady would HAVE to be MVP.

Why? He would need to put up 60 on the Packers.

...and he's just the guy to do it!

Honestly, I think Belicheck will get that defense playing just well enough to win.

Sandra

...and he's just the guy to do it!

Honestly, I think Belicheck will get that defense playing just well enough to win.

Sandra

Heard a very interesting stat yesterday:

Over the last 8 games the Pats defense has given up an average of 7 points in the second half of those games. That's pretty good considering the yardage they've given up.

That said, this defense still scares the bejesus out of me!! :eek:

In recent years, we've seen teams with great offenses win the Super Bowl.

Not saying the Pats will shut everyone out, but great defense alone is sometimes not enough- you have to back it up with scoring.

Since Super Bowl XXXV, the Ravens have squandered a lot of great defensive teams with inability to generate enough points (no SB appearances since then despite 6 playoff appearances)

One side can only do so much if the other side doesn't bring anything to the table.

It's amazing how ONLY in football, everything prior to 1967 was pretty much erased and "irrelevant" to most fans. Can you imagine if we did the same in baseball?

Thats because thats when the SB started ..... doing so, eliminates the Lions as they actually WON before hand !

I'm still predicting that Suh will be a big factor in the Lions' defense for this game. As for the offense, well we know that the Lions love to pass so that's obvious. If only injured reserve players can be returned to the active list for postseason games. You figure if RB Jahvid Best was ready to play and if he can be allowed to play, the Lions would have their running game back.

Best is OUT for the year I believe.

However, Dumas will be back and Aaron Berry will also be back and Chris Harris should be good to go as well.

BillD1984 said:
Heard a very interesting stat yesterday:

Over the last 8 games the Pats defense has given up an average of 7 points in the second half of those games. That's pretty good considering the yardage they've given up.

That said, this defense still scares the bejesus out of me!! :eek:

Can't get down 17 or 21 nothing against the Steelers or Ravens, I would like to see the defense get to play with a lead next week.

I'm rooting for the Bengals this week, it's not that I don't think they can beat either the Steelers or Ravens, I just think it would be better to play them after they play another game against each other.

I'm rooting for the Bengals this week, it's not that I don't think they can beat either the Steelers or Ravens, I just think it would be better to play them after they play another game against each other.

I am too, based from a competitive standpoint. I think playing Cincinnati, and having Pittsburgh and Baltimore beat the snot out of each other is the ideal situation for the Pats.

However, if we're just talking next week, Denver would be my first choice to play.

With Tebow's bandwagon on fire and in a ditch, some fans are clamoring for Quinn to start against Pittsburgh.

Elway commented on it today:

On if Brady Quinn could get a chance to play quarterback if Tebow continues to struggle: "I don't think so, but you never know. I think the coaches are looking at it right now," Elway said. "We're in the playoffs, and the coaching staff is going to do anything they can to help us win this football game."

via John Elway says he's taking a big-picture view of Broncos' playoff berth - The Denver Post

Have to wonder how much time they'll give Tebow if the 3-and-outs start early and often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)