2011 Big Ten Football

But Notre Dame gets BCS money all to itself every single year. It's portion is higher than any team in any conference that gets 2 teams in.

Notre Dame gets $6 million/yr (no matter if it gets into a BCS game or not)
BCS conferences get $17 million for 1 team, and $6 million for a 2nd.
Big Ten basically gets $23 million, split 12 ways that is just under $2 million. Under a 3rd of what Notre Dame gets.

Not to mention, Notre Dame is part of the non-BCS Big East Bowl System, so gets a portion of that as well (and being split 9 ways, soon to be 10, is more than the non-BCS Big Ten which is now split 12 ways). As well as a portion of the Big East basketball monies.

So why would Notre Dame want to join the Big Ten again? Definately not for money.

That is my understanding for why they haven't joined as well. Like I said before I would like them to join anyways. With these leagues getting bigger and moving towards more conference games like the Big Ten did this year I think it will get harder for them to get a good schedule every year.

I wish they would just join and have a guaranteed conference schedule. They could still keep their rivalries with USC and Navy if they want. Many ND fans don't want this because they think they would have to give up rivalries or make their schedule to hard to keep them in.

They could still keep their rivalries with USC and Navy if they want. Many ND fans don't want this because they think they would have to give up rivalries or make their schedule to hard to keep them in.
And they're right. Just look at the annual rilvaries that Penn St. lost when they joined up with the Big Ten.

In the Big Ten, Notre Dame would only 3 OOC games to schedule their non-Big Ten rilvaries in. That's not enough to keep what they have.

Several years ago they inquired about joining the ACC (back when it needed a 12th) with only a limited schedule (6 instead of 8 conference games). ACC said no, full schedule or nothing.
I doubt the Big Ten would agree to that either, so no Irish for them.

Notre Dame is the one school where joining a conference buy them a whole lot nor fill their coffers...unless they keep losing. The Irish are 69-54 over the past ten years and this doesn't bode well for future contract negotiations. They will have to start winning.

But Notre Dame gets BCS money all to itself every single year. It's portion is higher than any team in any conference that gets 2 teams in.

Notre Dame gets $6 million/yr (no matter if it gets into a BCS game or not)
BCS conferences get $17 million for 1 team, and $6 million for a 2nd.
Big Ten basically gets $23 million, split 12 ways that is just under $2 million. Under a 3rd of what Notre Dame gets.

Not to mention, Notre Dame is part of the non-BCS Big East Bowl System, so gets a portion of that as well (and being split 9 ways, soon to be 10, is more than the non-BCS Big Ten which is now split 12 ways). As well as a portion of the Big East basketball monies.

So why would Notre Dame want to join the Big Ten again? Definately not for money.

Yes, I always thought that ND is holding someone hostage to get that kind of payout.

They get 6M for making onto a football field, they don't have to do anything, just show up.

I can't believe the person that thought this was a good idea is still around.
What has ND done to have this type of payout from the Bowl system ?

Just that ... if you don't give us a great amount of money, well cry to whoever will listen.

And they're right. Just look at the annual rilvaries that Penn St. lost when they joined up with the Big Ten.

In the Big Ten, Notre Dame would only 3 OOC games to schedule their non-Big Ten rilvaries in. That's not enough to keep what they have.

Several years ago they inquired about joining the ACC (back when it needed a 12th) with only a limited schedule (6 instead of 8 conference games). ACC said no, full schedule or nothing.
I doubt the Big Ten would agree to that either, so no Irish for them.

How many "Rivalries" does ND have to have each year ?
3 Games OOC isn't enough ?

ND has USC and who else, NAVY ?
Michigan ?

It's only a rivalry when both teams are worth watching .... When NAVY takes you to the wood shed, you got problems

ND hasn't been worth watching for 10 years now.

It's only a rivalry when both teams are worth watching ....
Does that mean the Ohio St. / Michigan game is no longer a rilvary? How long has it been since Michigan was worth watching?

Sorry, just because a game isn't "top tier" doesn't mean it's not a rilvary. Army-Navy is about the biggest there is, and it's been a while since they were top ranked.

Also, Notre Dame has many semi-annual games as well.
ND hasn't been worth watching for 10 years now.
And yet people continue to watch. True fans will watch their team, for better or worse. And Notre Dame has about the largest nationwide fanbase there is.

As to why Notre Dame has a nice BCS contract. It's because they were there in the beginning of the original Bowl Alliance, long before the Big Ten and Pac 10 decided to join it. It's also why the Big East is still there. It pays to be in at the beginning.

Another reason is because the BCS Bowl want Notre Dame in it. The Irish alone can fill any Bowl game out there. Again, no team has their kind of following.

And I say this as someone who hates the Irish.

Does that mean the Ohio St. / Michigan game is no longer a rilvary? How long has it been since Michigan was worth watching?

EXACTLY

Sorry, just because a game isn't "top tier" doesn't mean it's not a rilvary. Army-Navy is about the biggest there is, and it's been a while since they were top ranked.

Also, Notre Dame has many semi-annual games as well.

And yet people continue to watch. True fans will watch their team, for better or worse. And Notre Dame has about the largest nationwide fanbase there is.

As to why Notre Dame has a nice BCS contract. It's because they were there in the beginning of the original Bowl Alliance, long before the Big Ten and Pac 10 decided to join it. It's also why the Big East is still there. It pays to be in at the beginning.

Another reason is because the BCS Bowl want Notre Dame in it. The Irish alone can fill any Bowl game out there. Again, no team has their kind of following.

Yup, it's been a real JOY watching ND get BLOWN out everytime the play in a BSC game.

The school no longer receives a full BCS share, as it did when it reached the Fiesta Bowl in 2001 and 2005, but Notre Dame is guaranteed $1.3 million in years it does not make a BCS bowl. And if and when the Irish return to glory, a $4.5 million BCS payout will be waiting, one they won't have to share

Notre Dame has been treated well during BCS era - College Football - ESPN
Did some checking. It's gone up since '98. They now get $1.7 million when they don't make it, and $6 million when they don't.
Good incentive to not be in a conference.

ND has a very large national fan base, and many would go to their games just because of the tradition that they have. Many people who consider themselves a fan of ND in other areas of the country however, consider them a second team, at least in my experience. With the younger fan base, they are becoming more irrelevant each year that they stay off of the radar. It might be time to start considering a jump (maybe not right now, but in a few years if things dont turn around).

I totally agree with you about the rivalries though.

I for one am glad Nebraska is in the Big 10 now and was happy when it happened, as I believe the Big XII will be changing again before long.
I know the Big 10 schedule is a tough one, and we'll see how the offense goes this year, I think the defense will hold it's own.
Playing in a new conference will be an adjustment but I believe it will work out very well.
Looking forward to all the Cornhusker teams competing in the Big 10. I am also a big volleyball fan.

I for one am glad Nebraska is in the Big 10 now and was happy when it happened, as I believe the Big XII will be changing again before long.
I know the Big 10 schedule is a tough one, and we'll see how the offense goes this year, I think the defense will hold it's own.
Playing in a new conference will be an adjustment but I believe it will work out very well.
Looking forward to all the Cornhusker teams competing in the Big 10. I am also a big volleyball fan.

The 'Huskers have a good team and should do well this year, but it won't be easy to prepare since they are unfamiliar with many of the teams. We shall see.

I read today that Nebraska is picked to WIN the Big Ten this year ...

It's possible, but most of the experts I've read are picking MSU or Wisconsin. OSU may also be in the mix but they are a huge unknown with Pryor and Tressel leaving. I think Michigan may surprise a lot of people of Coach Hoke has them playing defense (something completely lacking during the Rich Rodriguez experiment) because their offense is going to score points. It should be a very interesting season.

It's possible, but most of the experts I've read are picking MSU or Wisconsin. OSU may also be in the mix but they are a huge unknown with Pryor and Tressel leaving. I think Michigan may surprise a lot of people of Coach Hoke has them playing defense (something completely lacking during the Rich Rodriguez experiment) because their offense is going to score points. It should be a very interesting season.

I want to see the Wisconsin / Nebraska game !

I want to see the Wisconsin / Nebraska game !

Now that will be a smash mouth football game. I am ready to see any college football right now. I'll even watch the little guys play. I love MLB baseball but in my opinion nothing compares to college football. That is the only sport where I will watch any game that happens to be on no matter who is playing.

My pecking order goes Notre Dame, Michigan, Michigan State, other Big Ten games, any game between ranked teams, SEC, Big 12, and then anyone else.

Oh Man! I am oh so ready for the Big Ten football season to kick-off!!! This should be a great season with Nebraska joining the ranks. And I am really looking forward to the first night game between Michigan and Notre Dame at Michigan Stadium - September 10th at 8:00 pm. :)

Oh Man! I am oh so ready for the Big Ten football season to kick-off!!! This should be a great season with Nebraska joining the ranks. And I am really looking forward to the first night game between Michigan and Notre Dame at Michigan Stadium - September 10th at 8:00 pm. :)

I am going to that game at the big house as a Notre Dame fan. Hopefully I make it out of the stadium alive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts