2011 Big Ten Football

Jimbo said:
Yes, I always thought that ND is holding someone hostage to get that kind of payout.

They get 6M for making onto a football field, they don't have to do anything, just show up.

I can't believe the person that thought this was a good idea is still around.
What has ND done to have this type of payout from the Bowl system ?

Just that ... if you don't give us a great amount of money, well cry to whoever will listen.

IMO the big east should tell ND to either have their football team join or get all their other sport teams out of the big east. Time for them to grow a pair and put their foot down.

The big east basketball conference doesn't need ND they are to good and to deep to need ND.

IMO the big east should tell ND to either have their football team join or get all their other sport teams out of the big east. Time for them to grow a pair and put their foot down.

The big east basketball conference doesn't need ND they are to good and to deep to need ND.

I agree...the Big East should demand all or nothin to ND, but I just don't see the Fighting Irish football program ever joining the Big East.

Oh, I just wanted to say how excited I am the Big Ten Hockey Conference will be formed and starting league play in 2013. Initially there will be six teams: Minnesota and Wisconsin from the WCHA and Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State from the CCHA; Penn State will be starting a Division I team in 2012 as the sixth team. Offhand, I would love to see all 12 teams field a hockey team. Offhand, I'm not sure why Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa and Nebraska do not have a Division I hockey team.

Oh, I just wanted to say how excited I am the Big Ten Hockey Conference will be formed and starting league play in 2013. Initially there will be six teams: Minnesota and Wisconsin from the WCHA and Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State from the CCHA; Penn State will be starting a Division I team in 2012 as the sixth team. Offhand, I would love to see all 12 teams field a hockey team. Offhand, I'm not sure why Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa and Nebraska do not have a Division I hockey team.

Did you hear that Michigan and Ohio State will play an outdoor hockey game this winter at Progressive Field (formally Jacob's Field). That's going to be fun!

Did you hear that Michigan and Ohio State will play an outdoor hockey game this winter at Progressive Field (formally Jacob's Field). That's going to be fun!

I haven't heard that, but it sounds like great fun! Personally, I am waiting to hear word from the NHL that the Red Wings will be hosting the 2013 Winter Classic at Michigan Stadium in front of 112,000+ fans. :)

Notre Dame makes their non-BCS bowl package look better though. The Gator & others are willing to pay the Big East more when they know that Notre Dame will be an option to select.

Besides, Notre Dame isn't the only non-football team in the conference. Can't get rid of the Irish if you're not willing to lose Villanova. The Big East wasn't created for football, it was and is mainly a Basketball conference.

Derwin0 said:
Notre Dame makes their non-BCS bowl package look better though. The Gator & others are willing to pay the Big East more when they know that Notre Dame will be an option to select.

Besides, Notre Dame isn't the only non-football team in the conference. Can't get rid of the Irish if you're not willing to lose Villanova. The Big East wasn't created for football, it was and is mainly a Basketball conference.

But the difference is that Villanova isn't a division I football team like ND.

Only six more days until Michigan football returns with the fall kickoff. I can hardly wait! For Christmas I would like nothing more than the memory of Rich Rodriguez erased from grid-iron history. I don't know what this season has in store, but we're finally going to play some fooball (and defense too) at the Big House...and the Big Ten should be rocking!

Good luck to everyone this year. Here are the newly formed divisions:

LEGENDS DIVISION
Iowa
Michigan
Michigan State
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern

LEADERS DIVISION
Illinois
Indiana
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue
Wisconsin

I will never "get" why they picked those names.

Pretentiousness. Make them south "better" than those who use North/South or East/West.
As it is, it became fodder for people to make fun of. Even the Big Ten fans aren't happy with the names.

If they really didn't want geography names, they should have gone the ACC route, or named them after Big Ten coaches of the past.

I'm not a big fan of the names, but I couldn't see them using north/south or east/west.

I always thought "great lakes" and "heartland" would have been decent picks if they wanted to go in a different direction.
I said it when this came out. Leaders and Legends brings to mind schoolyard playground team naming to me.

Okay, why is it that ABC never announces their regional games in advance (reasonable time). Here it is monday and I'm still seeing "TBA" in the listings. :(
Typically they announce them on Wednesday. The reason is that the affiliates have until then to tell them what game they want.