2015 NCAA football discussion thread

They only sucked by 5 pts
;)
Haha, I actually think they have a very good team, and while the record does not show it, watching them play all year has.

They aren't there yet,but are very competitive.

Still. VOLS SUCK!!!! RTR!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of suck, Va Tech. Wow, their season is a train wreck.

Last edited:
Speaking of suck, Va Tech. Wow, their season is a train wreck.

It seems to be that way when the Buckeyes play them, win or lose to them you hope they have a good season to help your team but ever since they have had OSU scheduled, they have stunk the rest of the season.

That series is over now so they can more than likely go back to winning 10 games a year.

AP Poll Top 25:
1. Ohio State (39) 8-0
2. Baylor (7) 7-0
3. Clemson (6) 7-0
4. LSU (5) 7-0
5. TCU (3) 7-0
6. Michigan State 8-0
7. Alabama (1) 7-1
8. Stanford 6-1
9. Notre Dame 6-1
10. Iowa 7-0
11. Florida 6-1
12. Oklahoma State 7-0
13. Utah 6-1
14. Oklahoma 6-1
15. Michigan 5-2
16. Memphis 7-0
17. Florida State 6-1
18. Houston 7-0
19. Ole Miss 6-2
20. Toledo 7-0
21. Temple 7-0
22. Duke 6-1
23. Pittsburgh 6-1
24. UCLA 5-2
25. Mississippi State 6-2

Dropped from rankings: Texas A&M 15, California 20

Others receiving votes: Texas A&M 73, North Carolina 46, USC 33, BYU 18, Georgia 17, Wisconsin 15, Northwestern 10, Appalachian State 6, California 5, Washington State 2

Coaches Poll Top 25:
1. Ohio State(49) 8-0
2. Baylor(10) 7-0
3. TCU(2) 7-0
4. LSU(1) 7-0
5. Michigan State 8-0
6. Clemson(1) 7-0
7. Alabama 7-1
8. Stanford 6-1
9. Notre Dame 6-1
10. Oklahoma State 7-0
11. Iowa 7-0
12. Florida 6-1
13. Oklahoma 6-1
14. Utah 6-1
15. Florida State 6-1
16. Memphis 7-0
17. Michigan 5-2
18. Duke 6-1
19. Houston 7-0
20. Toledo 7-0
21. Ole Miss 6-2
22 Temple 7-0
23. Georgia 5-2
24. Pittsburgh 6-1
25. UCLA 5-2

Dropped from rankings: Texas A&M 16, California 19

Others receiving votes: Texas A&M 89, Mississippi State 70, North Carolina 55, Wisconsin 36, California 17, Navy 15, USC 14, Northwestern 14, BYU 11, Washington State 11, Oregon 11, Marshall 1, Boise State 1

Reactions: fhsucade07
Good news from the Hurricane disaster.. Golden is gone. Bad news, he did not take DC D'Onofrio with Golden. The search is on. The main candidates are Butch Davis(again), OL coach at Alabama, Mario Cristobal...Indianapolis Colts asistant HC Rob Chudzinski...Greg Schiano and Kentucky Coach Mark Stoops.

According to the Palm Beach Post:

Justin Fuente or Tom Herman, Hot Young Coaches Du Jour: Fuente, 39, who makes $1.4 million annually at Memphis, is due a major raise after going 17-3 in his last 20 games. Herman, 40, who has Houston (7-0) rolling in his first season, earns $1.35 million this season. Both will be considered by any major school looking for a coach. As of Saturday, that list includes four major programs (USC, Illinois, South Carolina and Maryland). By the end of the season, Miami could be joined by Virginia, Virginia Tech, Purdue, Rutgers or others. Another hot young name: after the Golden era, would UM go for another MAC success story like Toledo’s Matt Campbell (35, and making $495,000)?

Good news from the Hurricane disaster.. Golden is gone. Bad news, he did not take DC D'Onofrio with Golden. The search is on. The main candidates are Butch Davis(again), OL coach at Alabama, Mario Cristobal...Indianapolis Colts asistant HC Rob Chudzinski...Greg Schiano and Kentucky Coach Mark Stoops.

According to the Palm Beach Post:

Justin Fuente or Tom Herman, Hot Young Coaches Du Jour: Fuente, 39, who makes $1.4 million annually at Memphis, is due a major raise after going 17-3 in his last 20 games. Herman, 40, who has Houston (7-0) rolling in his first season, earns $1.35 million this season. Both will be considered by any major school looking for a coach. As of Saturday, that list includes four major programs (USC, Illinois, South Carolina and Maryland). By the end of the season, Miami could be joined by Virginia, Virginia Tech, Purdue, Rutgers or others. Another hot young name: after the Golden era, would UM go for another MAC success story like Toledo’s Matt Campbell (35, and making $495,000)?
I'm seriously hoping NOT ...

Was just over at the University today putting in lines for ESPN for next weeks Toledo Rockets game, people there are also hoping not.

I really like Matt, he's worked his way up and doing very well.
Sadly that usually means he'll be moving on.

Reactions: fhsucade07
I'm seriously hoping NOT ...

Was just over at the University today putting in lines for ESPN for next weeks Toledo Rockets game, people there are also hoping not.

I really like Matt, he's worked his way up and doing very well.
Sadly that usually means he'll be moving on.
Such is the life of a coach of a mid major and its fans. They are stepping stone jobs.

Reactions: salsadancer7
Occasionally you will get a coach that will stick with a school and have consistent success. Jeff Bower at Southern Miss comes to mind. He was there from 91-2007, led them to 14 consecutive winning seasons (his only two non winning seasons were at the start of his career), and a bowl in 10 of his last 11 years. Several 9 win seasons with some big upsets sprinkled in there.
Then the school makes a stupid decision to "retire him" because they are not happy with the Liberty Bowl glass ceiling. Look how that turned out. They peaked on a 12 win season shortly after and have not righted the ship since Fedora turned the job into a coaching carousel stop.

I really don't look at how many Bowl games teams have been too anymore, it's way too easy to get to them .... you no longer have to have a good season, just a .500 season is usually good enough.
They need to cut the Bowl games in Half.

I really don't look at how many Bowl games teams have been too anymore, it's way too easy to get to them .... you no longer have to have a good season, just a .500 season is usually good enough.
They need to cut the Bowl games in Half.
Agreed, getting to a bowl game is seen as no more than a participation ribbon these days.

Same even with coaching the big boys. It's seen as a stepping stone to the NFL, and then as a fall back when they fail at the NFL. (ie, Saban and Spurrier as well as Carrol and many others)
That was true at a time. It's not AS true now.

Several of the big name coaches make comparable salaries with far more control at the college level than they would have in the pros, to the extent that most pro jobs would be a lateral move at best.

Not so much, winning the Super Bowl is still better than the MNC.

It is the biggest game there is, no doubt, but the appeal of the average NFL HC job versus a "blueblood" NCAA coaching position is not as enticing as it once was.
A lot has evened out over the last 10 years, and I am not so sure that is a good thing to the average college football fan.

It is the biggest game there is, no doubt, but the appeal of the average NFL HC job versus a "blueblood" NCAA coaching position is not as enticing as it once was.
A lot has evened out over the last 10 years, and I am not so sure that is a good thing to the average college football fan.

The money is there yes but so is recruiting and trying to control boosters. I would imagine most would walk to an NFL job if they had a chance. The NFL like most pro sports hire from within most of time. As much as we like college football, the NFL is king and will always be king even though college football has caught up in popularity the last 5-10 years.

And yet successful coaches don't leave the NFL to coach at the NCAA level. The only ones that have done that, did not leave the NFL with winning records.

Saban did not leave the NFL for the glory of coaching Alabama, he left the NFL because he failed at his Dolphins gig. Same thing with Spurrier at the Redskins.

While a blueblood SEC team might be one of the top jobs in the NCAA, it's still a stepping stone to the NFL.

Reactions: mccoyrj

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)