2017-18 NCAA Football Thread

Georgia got crushed, as did it's only quality win of the season. That's why the Auburn game scared me, as they haven't played anyone since the Notre Dame game.

After watching that game, and Alabama against Miss St, it looks like Georgia could have a rematch against Auburn, especially since the Iron Bowl is at Jordan-Hare this season..

Reactions: mccoyrj
Georgia got crushed, as did it's only quality win of the season. That's why the Auburn game scared me, as they haven't played anyone since the Notre Dame game.

After watching that game, and Alabama against Miss St, it looks like Georgia could have a rematch against Auburn, especially since the Iron Bowl is at Jordan-Hare this season..
I didn't see that coming. I knew Auburn was good but damn.

I really don't think Auburn is any better than Georgia, but damn if they weren't yesterday.

They played a near perfect game and pushed them around.

As for Bama, I kept telling my friends that the state game was gonna be close and I wouldn't be surprised with an upset. Too many defensive injuries, and it showed.

Hats off to State, they played a hell of a game.

And cowbell should be BANNED from the dang stadium. How they get away with it, I do not know.

Miami jumps up to #2 in both polls.

AP Top 25
1. Alabama (SEC) - 57 first place votes
2. Miami (ACC) - 4 first place votes
3. Oklahoma (Big 12)
4. Clemson (ACC)
5. Wisconsin (Big Ten)
6. Auburn (SEC)
7. Georgia (SEC)
8. Ohio State (Big Ten)
9. Notre Dame (Div. I FBS Independents)
10. Oklahoma State (Big 12)
11. TCU (Big 12)
12. USC (Pac-12)
13. Penn State (Big Ten)
14. UCF (American)
15. Washington State (Pac-12)
16. Washington (Pac-12)
17. Mississippi State (SEC)
18. Memphis (American)
19. Michigan (Big Ten)
20. Stanford (Pac-12)
21. LSU (SEC)
22. Michigan State (Big Ten)
23. South Florida (American)
24. West Virginia (Big 12)
25. North Carolina State (ACC)

Coaches Top 25
1. Alabama (SEC) - 63 first place votes
2. Miami (ACC)
3. Clemson (ACC)
4. Wisconsin (Big Ten)
5. Oklahoma (Big 12)
6. Auburn (SEC)
7. Georgia (SEC)
8. Ohio State (Big Ten)
11. USC (Pac-12)
12. Penn State (Big Ten)
13. UCF (American)
14. TCU (Big 12)
15. Washington (Pac-12)
16. Washington State (Pac-12)
17. Memphis (American)
18. Michigan (Big Ten)
19. Mississippi State (SEC)
20. South Florida (American)
21. LSU (SEC)
22. North Carolina State (ACC)
23. Stanford (Pac-12)

Miami jumps up to #2 in both polls.

AP Top 25
1. Alabama (SEC) - 57 first place votes
2. Miami (ACC) - 4 first place votes
3. Oklahoma (Big 12)
4. Clemson (ACC)
5. Wisconsin (Big Ten)
6. Auburn (SEC)
7. Georgia (SEC)
8. Ohio State (Big Ten)
11. TCU (Big 12)
12. USC (Pac-12)
13. Penn State (Big Ten)
14. UCF (American)
15. Washington State (Pac-12)
16. Washington (Pac-12)
17. Mississippi State (SEC)
18. Memphis (American)
19. Michigan (Big Ten)
20. Stanford (Pac-12)
21. LSU (SEC)
23. South Florida (American)
25. North Carolina State (ACC)

Coaches Top 25
1. Alabama (SEC) - 63 first place votes
2. Miami (ACC)
3. Clemson (ACC)
4. Wisconsin (Big Ten)
5. Oklahoma (Big 12)
6. Auburn (SEC)
7. Georgia (SEC)
8. Ohio State (Big Ten)
11. USC (Pac-12)
12. Penn State (Big Ten)
13. UCF (American)
14. TCU (Big 12)
15. Washington (Pac-12)
16. Washington State (Pac-12)
17. Memphis (American)
18. Michigan (Big Ten)
19. Mississippi State (SEC)
20. South Florida (American)
21. LSU (SEC)
22. North Carolina State (ACC)
23. Stanford (Pac-12)
Ohio State lurking on the outside ... will they manage to squeak in to the playoffs again ? (I have to keep reminding myself, this is the AP, not the College Playoff Committee (CPC ?) hopefully they are close.

IF , they dominate the remaining games, possibly ....
They should get by Illinois this weekend (trap game, better not mess them up) I don't expect them to move up any this week, unless others go down ahead of them this weekend.
Then they would have to beat thier Rival, Michigan, a close game won't help them, but a convincing win would ...
Then they would win the BT east and play (5 ?) Wisconsin, IF they do, do they have enough ?
If they do, that would add 2 more top 25 team wins to the resume.

The way I look at it, teams above will get upset of just lose ...
Auburn could beat Bama ... ( I was rooting for Auburn, but realized that if Bama beats them, that take Auburn out of it, with 3 losses).
Then you would have Bama and Georgia playing again, again if Bama wins, that would be 2 losses for Georgia, could still stay ahead of the Bucks, but ya never know. (Buckeyes have to win convincingly to get there, if Georgia loses, they would probably put OSU ahead of them.)

If Miami beats Clemson ... that drops Clemson down. (ahead or behind OSU, don't know)

I'm just thinking here guys .... don't need any HUGE arguments ...
I know the majority of you Hate the Buckeyes.

So, is this scenario a possibility, probability ?

Ohio State lurking on the outside ... will they manage to squeak in to the playoffs again ? (I have to keep reminding myself, this is the AP, not the College Playoff Committee (CPC ?) hopefully they are close.

IF , they dominate the remaining games, possibly ....
They should get by Illinois this weekend (trap game, better not mess them up) I don't expect them to move up any this week, unless others go down ahead of them this weekend.
Then they would have to beat thier Rival, Michigan, a close game won't help them, but a convincing win would ...
Then they would win the BT east and play (5 ?) Wisconsin, IF they do, do they have enough ?
If they do, that would add 2 more top 25 team wins to the resume.

The way I look at it, teams above will get upset of just lose ...
Auburn could beat Bama ... ( I was rooting for Auburn, but realized that if Bama beats them, that take Auburn out of it, with 3 losses).
Then you would have Bama and Georgia playing again, again if Bama wins, that would be 2 losses for Georgia, could still stay ahead of the Bucks, but ya never know. (Buckeyes have to win convincingly to get there, if Georgia loses, they would probably put OSU ahead of them.)

If Miami beats Clemson ... that drops Clemson down. (ahead or behind OSU, don't know)

I'm just thinking here guys .... don't need any HUGE arguments ...
I know the majority of you Hate the Buckeyes.

So, is this scenario a possibility, probability ?
Hard to say.

The winner in Atlanta (Georgia or Alabama/Aubarn) and Charlotte (Clempson/Miami) is in, along with Oklahoma. The question is the 4th spot.

If Wisconsin wins the Big Ten, they get the 4th spot, and it's the conference champ from those 4 conferences.

If Wisconsin loses (to say Ohio St), then it's a numbers game.

If Alabama loses to either Aubarn or Georgia, then you could see 2 teams from the SEC, Alabama and the winner of Aubarn/Georgia (now before you say, but Alabama didn't win the conference, or play in the conference game, don't forget Ohio St. was put in last year over a more deserving Penns St.).

Also in the ACC, if Miami loses a close game to Clempson, the committee could put both of them in with a single loss each.

For Ohio St. to even think of getting in, Clempson has to beat Miami, and Alabama has to beat both Aubarn and Georgia. Even then, if Wisconsin barely loses to Ohio St, they could still get in over Ohio St, due to a better record (and before you say, but we would be beaten then, don't forget last year and Penn St.)

Would help if Oklahoma lost another game as well, but since Oklahoma beat Ohio St, they will still get in over Ohio St. even with another loss. Notre Dame could even be above Ohio St. in the committee poll. So I think the Buckeye changes are pretty much nil.

I don't hate Ohio St. More like I just don't care about them. I do like Urban Meyer though.

Hard to say.

The winner in Atlanta (Georgia or Alabama/Aubarn) and Charlotte (Clempson/Miami) is in, along with Oklahoma. The question is the 4th spot.

If Wisconsin wins the Big Ten, they get the 4th spot, and it's the conference champ from those 4 conferences.

If Wisconsin loses (to say Ohio St), then it's a numbers game.

If Alabama loses to either Aubarn or Georgia, then you could see 2 teams from the SEC, Alabama and the winner of Aubarn/Georgia (now before you say, but Alabama didn't win the conference, or play in the conference game, don't forget Ohio St. was put in last year over a more deserving Penns St.).

Also in the ACC, if Miami loses a close game to Clempson, the committee could put both of them in with a single loss each.

For Ohio St. to even think of getting in, Clempson has to beat Miami, and Alabama has to beat both Aubarn and Georgia. Even then, if Wisconsin barely loses to Ohio St, they could still get in over Ohio St, due to a better record (and before you say, but we would be beaten then, don't forget last year and Penn St.)

Would help if Oklahoma lost another game as well, but since Oklahoma beat Ohio St, they will still get in over Ohio St. even with another loss. Notre Dame could even be above Ohio St. in the committee poll. So I think the Buckeye changes are pretty much nil.
See, now I was thinking differently, If Bama loses a game they probably stay in the top 4 (mainly because they are Bama and it would only be thier 1st loss), so that would be bad for the Buckeyes as Georgia / Auburn gets in with the winner if they play again in the CCG.
2 sec teams getting in would eliminate the Buckeyes.

I don't think that Clemson / Miami loser gets in, particularly if Miami wins, seeing Miami is on quite a roll, I think they win and are in. (then I go back and remember that the Mac Toledo Rockets hung real well with them till the 4th quarter.)
That just shows how different a team is from early in the season to the end, NO Team is the same.

Ala, Oklahoma ... I'll take that Buckeye /Sooners game at a later date and it may be an entirely different out come.
Sooners played well early and the Buckeyes were just getting to know one another in the Defensive backfield.
(I've previously mentioned how I hate these BIG games early in the season, for that exact reason.)

Regardless, it should be an interesting final few weeks and CCGs.

Sad thing about THIS Buckeyes team, is you never know which one shows up (I really hate that about this year).
They can get blindsided Or beat the top teams.
An Angry Buckeye team can play with ANY of the teams above it.

Personally, I don't think they will make it this year, but we'll see.

I would love a shot at Bama, Oklahoma or Clemson again.
Provided the Good team shows up ...

Real Jekyll and Hyde here.

Oklahoma had better win out, they play Kansas and West Virginia ...
Do they play TCU or Ok State in a CCG ?
They do HAVE a CCG now, right ?

Oklahoma had better win out, they play Kansas and West Virginia ...
Do they play TCU or Ok State in a CCG ?
They do HAVE a CCG now, right ?
TCU, as they own the tie breaker against both Oklahoma St & West Virginia .

What would be chaotic, is if West Virginia somehow beat Chokelahoma. Then there would be a 4-way tie for first place in the Big 12. In that scenario, it would be record against the other 3 teams, in which case it would still be Oklahoma and TCU, as they would be 2-1 while West Virginia and Oklahoma St. are 1-2.

Doesn't matter for Ohio St., as a 2 loss Oklahoma should still get in over a 2-loss Ohio St, as Oklahoma beat Ohio St. Doesn't matter if it was at the beginning of the season, they still beat them.
At this point, the only 2-loss team I see having a chance would be Aubarn if they win out.

TCU, as they own the tie breaker against both Oklahoma St & West Virginia .

What would be chaotic, is if West Virginia somehow beat Chokelahoma. Then there would be a 4-way tie for first place in the Big 12. In that scenario, it would be record against the other 3 teams, in which case it would still be Oklahoma and TCU, as they would be 2-1 while West Virginia and Oklahoma St. are 1-2.

Doesn't matter for Ohio St., as a 2 loss Oklahoma should still get in over a 2-loss Ohio St, as Oklahoma beat Ohio St. Doesn't matter if it was at the beginning of the season, they still beat them.
At this point, the only 2-loss team I see having a chance would be Aubarn if they win out.
Ok, so then even though Auburn seems to be the sexy team at the moment, I should hope they Lose ... Miami would also be considered a sexy team at the moment, on quite a roll and a team that others either love or hate.

Ok, so then even though Auburn seems to be the sexy team at the moment, I should hope they Lose ... Miami would also be considered a sexy team at the moment, on quite a roll and a team that others either love or hate.
Miami is sexy for one reason, that only Alabama and Wisconsin share in, they are undefeated. Until they lose, they deserve to be where they are, sexy or not.

Well, this is just stupid ....
While waiting for the NCAA ranking show tonight, its usually on at 8 I think ...
I looked for it, its on at 9, in between the basket ball games ...
However, because basketball take 20 minutes to play the last 2 minutes, the 9 pm show will be on around 9:30 ...

New Playoff Rankings are out:

1. Alabama (10-0)
2. Clemson (9-1)
3. Miami (9-0)
4.. Oklahoma (9-1)
5. Wisconsin (10-0)
6. Auburn (8-2)
7. Georgia (9-1)
8. Notre Dame (8-2)
9. Ohio State (8-2)
10. Penn State (8-2)
11. Southern California (9-2)
12. TCU (8-2)
13. Oklahoma State (8-2)
14. Washington State (9-2)
15. Central Florida (9-0)
16. Mississippi State (7-3)
17. Michigan State (7-3)
18. Washington (8-2)
19. N.C. State (7-3)
20. LSU (7-3)
21. Memphis (8-1)
22. Stanford (7-3)
23. Northwestern (7-3)
24. Michigan (8-2)
25. Boise State (8-2)

Well, this is just stupid ....
While waiting for the NCAA ranking show tonight, its usually on at 8 I think ...
I looked for it, its on at 9, in between the basket ball games ...
However, because basketball take 20 minutes to play the last 2 minutes, the 9 pm show will be on around 9:30 ...

Well, to be honest, it makes no sense to sit around waiting on a "rankings show" that will change again next tues. You could always just get the rankings the next morning lol, its not like this is the final.

Reactions: Jimbo
Then and now with 7 teams out and 7 new teams in top 25.

AP Poll: September ............. NOW selection committee

1. Alabama Crimson Tide #1

2. Ohio State Buckeyes #9

3. Clemson Tigers # 2

4. Penn State #10

5. Oklahoma Sooners #4

6. USC Trojans #11

7. Washington Huskies #17

8. Michigan Wolverines # 24

9. Wisconsin Badgers #5

10. Florida State Unranked

11. Oklahoma State #13

12. LSU Tigers #20

13. Auburn Tigers #6

14. Stanford Cardinal #22

15. Georgia Bulldogs #7

16. Miami Hurricanes #3

17. Louisville Cardinals Unranked

18. Virginia Tech Hokies Unranked

19. Kansas State Wildcats Unranked

20. Washington State #14

21. South Florida Bulls Unranked

22. Florida Gators Unranked

23. TCU Horned Frogs #12

24. Notre Dame #8

25. Tennessee Volunteers Unranked

New additions

#15. Central Florida

#16. Mississippi State

#18. Washington

#19. N.C. State

#21. Memphis

#23. Northwestern

#25. Boise State

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)