$299 HD-DVR w/ $100 rebate

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Robert,

What about new customers not entitled to the retntion credit? I have been talking with an associate, Graham at your store and was planning an install and

1) I appreciate your knowledge and level of customer service
2) Directv would not charge me for a Multi-Switch which you guys are charging me for.
3) There should be some deal for New customers signing up for service not to pay $599 when all existing memebers are getting much cheaper.

Any advice Robert?

billbillw said:
Alan, In your post, you said that you want to avoid the retention department. Well that seems to be the only way to get this deal.

Hmm, I've read differently on other boards. I don't want to deal with retention, but I might still try it anyway...

~Alan

MrMojoRisin said:
Robert,

What about new customers not entitled to the retntion credit? I have been talking with an associate, Graham at your store and was planning an install and

1) I appreciate your knowledge and level of customer service
2) Directv would not charge me for a Multi-Switch which you guys are charging me for.
3) There should be some deal for New customers signing up for service not to pay $599 when all existing memebers are getting much cheaper.

Any advice Robert?

I can credit you for the switch and you should be paying us $549.00, which I can also correct. You will also get the $100 mail in rebate.

Please cal me so I can correct your charge.

-Robert

peallen said:
I didn't get the GREAT deals that some of you have been getting. I called twice, first offered me $399 with $100 MIR, second offered $299 with mail-in. They offered no kind of programming credit either, I have never been late on payment, guess I just haven't been there long enough (since Jan). Anyway, if they could lower it to $99 I could take it, just at the moment can't afford the $199, just got my house's AC fixed, that took any "fun" money I had this month.

I just called and this is the same deal I got. I've only been with Directv since April. It's a good deal to be sure but after seeing Directv's pathetic HD channel lineup I'm passing on it. 4 HD channels just aren't worth $11 a month imho. I'll wait until they get more HD channels and all the new sats up.

Someone asked about self-installs. When we moved in last fall DirecTV gave us the 3-lnb dish and I had them run the lines to our laundry/media room where the multiswitch is. I've already run the coax planning for an HD TiVo but they said they still had to send someone out to install it.

I called Monday afternoon got the $299 deal plus $100 rebate, $150 credit (I mentioned that I had called back in the fall and it was $250 then, but they said it was only $150 now, YMMV) plus six months free Showtime and $10 off HBO for six months. When I called the retention number I only mentioned the $299 HD TiVos I had heard about. The CSR knew about the deal and hooked me up with the rest without asking. Again, YMMV.

Robert,

I must have gotten really lucky on the deal I got on Sunday night, as I only talked to two CSRs to get the best deal and told them both that I wanted it because others on tivocommunity.com were getting it.

What they gave me was:

+ $299.00 for HR10-250
- $150.00 credit from DirecTV (which they quoted me 2 months prior)
- $100.00 MIR (which I've already sent in today)
+ $ 14.95 shipping and handling
+ $ 0.00 state taxes for Maine (the CSR couldn't get the tax for my state to apply)
+ $ 0.00 installation, new dish or sat "C" kit for my elliptical dish (installer decides)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$ 63.95 total on the HR10-250 plus installation on 8/14/05
+ $ 25.00 tip for installer
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+ $ 88.95 total for the whole thing.

Other incentives given to me were:
$5/mo off TC Premiere for 6 months ($30.00 total)
$5/mo off HD Programming for 6 months ($30.00 total)

I never told them I'd leave, I merely played CSR roulette and told them I what I wanted and the second guy said yes to it and we took care of it immediately with my credit card.

I am a TC Premiere customer and I hadn't called retention for any deals since 10/01/2002 where I got a deal on a new "Primestar" dish with a 119 LNB and an RCA 420re receiver so I could watch the NASA channel.

Are these most likely the factors in why they might have offered me one of the best deals?

I know I'm not getting the service plan with this deal, but with the new MPEG-4/Ka/high-definition capable NDS and UCentric DVR receivers due out early next year, I'm not too worried about a service contract on the HR10-250 as I may not have it for too long. If it goes bad, I always have my HDVR2 to fall back on which does an excellent job for a standard-def DVR receiver. ;)

BillyT said:
Robert,

- $100.00 MIR (which I've already sent in today)

Hey Billy T How did you do that so quickly??

Also, was explained to me that the $250 retention everyone is speaking of was the discount off of the HDDVR to bring it to the 299 plus the 100 rebate. This would verify what Robert explained. Was told that if I could find anyone that received the 250 retention AND the 299 plus 100 rebate that would post that portion of the bill like the others have I would get it. But was told no one will because it hasn't happened. This particular retention guy felt pretty sure of himself and was not being a pain. He had stats on numbers ordered etc....anyone care to prove the extra $250?

I got the deal just now, but it took me being pretty firm with the retention CSR that answered the phone. She kept telling me that the alleged offer was a hoax, or on an unofficial web site or something like that and people were who said they were getting this deal were not actually getting this deal and making up stories.

She said that she had spoken with a number of people who were calling for this deal and that she had to inform them that the only deal was for $599 with the rebate. I kept telling her that it was not a joke. She insisted it was.

When I asked her to speak to a supervisor, she told me one was not one available. When I finally started sounding like I was getting upset, she said I would have to wait for a while. I told her fine.

Finally a supervisor got on the phone and told me I could have the deal. Not sure why they are doing this, but given this discussion, I believe the initial CSR knew about the deal but is being instructed to dissuade as many people as possible from getting the deal. I wonder how many folks have given up. Oh well at least I am in and installation is set for Thursday.

Thanks to all who posted this information.

BTW, do these DVRs work well??

I printed the rebate form on DirecTVs site, entered the customer and order confirmation numbers for my order and any other information requested. Signed it dated it, sealed it in an envelope with the address for the rebate on it. Stamped it and sent it off this morning. It was as easy as that. ;)

There are a million different retention people with a million different stories. Your job is to find the one who likes your story. I can't account for a $250.00 discount on top of the $299.00 price of the DVR, but I did get a $150.00 discount which DirecTV had quoted me two months prior that they would give me if I bought the HR10-250 at the price it was set to back then. I didn't go for it back then, but the second CSR I talked to on Sunday was willing to honor it for me on the $299.00 price which is what I asked him to do.

Really, all you have to do to get a deal like this is be firm and tell them that you know other people are getting it. It doesn't matter if you are a new or existing customer. You need to let the retention CSR know what you want. Tell them that you know others are getting similar deals and be willing to call them as many times as you have to until you are satisfied.

If I had been given a $250.00 discount instead of a $150.00 discount, DirecTV would have been paying me to give me the HR10-250. I'm just not greedy enough to try to push for a deal like that. ;)

I'm not sure how I can prove to you I got the discount, but I did and my transactions since last statement online also indicate so. I will include those here.

Here are the transactions since my last statement (note I also paid my bill which is $103.48/month for TC Premeire + three West coast network feeds + DVR fee + extra receiver fee for a standalone TIVO with the credit card while making this deal) (I also deleted any visible access card numbers for privacy purposes):

Transactions Since Last Statement

Date, Access Card, Description, Amount Tax, Sub-Total
08/05/2005, xxxxxxxx, - Monthly Bill, $0.00, $0.00, $0.00
08/05/2005, xxxxxxxxxxxx, Additional Receiver - Charge, $4.99, $0.00, $4.99
08/05/2005, xxxxxxxxxxxx, Network: ABC from LA_* - Charge, $1.50, $0.00, $1.50
08/05/2005, xxxxxxxxxxxx, Network: FOX from LA_* - Charge, $1.50, $0.00, $1.50
08/05/2005, xxxxxxxxxxxx, Network: NBC from LA_* - Charge, $1.50, $0.00, $1.50
08/05/2005, xxxxxxxxxxxx, TOTAL CHOICE PREMIER - Charge, $93.99, $0.00, $93.99
08/14/2005, xxxxxxxx, - One Time CCard, -$268.18, $0.00, -$268.18
08/14/2005, xxxxxxxx, HD-DVR - SvcC/Eq/Sh/Hn CR, -$150.00, $0.00, -$150.00
08/14/2005, xxxxxxxxxxxx, HD-DVR - Charge, $299.00, $0.00, $299.00
08/14/2005, xxxxxxxxxxxx, $14.95 Delivery and Handling - Charge, $14.95, $0.75, $15.70
08/14/2005, xxxxxxxxxxxx, Annual Commitment - Charge, $0.00, $0.00, $0.00

IMO, the more people who get the HR10-250 with a deal like this, the better. In reality it is good for DirecTV as the numbers of high-definition customers will increase and it is good for the consumers because most of those people will have an actual TIVO. Thus more people will be unwilling to accept any compromises in the form of an NDS branded high-definition DVR. Thus, NDS branded DVRs will be held to a higher standard.

I recommend that you not only try to get a similar deal, but through word of mouth, tell your friends about it too. ;)

I have 2 questions kind of off subject but not really. Does the HD Tivo come with the HDMI Cable? 2nd ,I will be dropping 1 of my SD DVR Tivos , it is a 1st generation Hughes , my question is can I take the Hard drive out of it and put it into another Tivo to increase the Hard Drive space ? They are both 35 hour tivos.

Thanks!

LOBO2999 said:
I have 2 questions kind of off subject but not really. Does the HD Tivo come with the HDMI Cable? 2nd ,I will be dropping 1 of my SD DVR Tivos , it is a 1st generation Hughes , my question is can I take the Hard drive out of it and put it into another Tivo to increase the Hard Drive space ? They are both 35 hour tivos.

Thanks!

The HD DTivo does come with an HDMI cable out of the box.

BillyT said:
I printed the rebate form on DirecTVs site, entered the customer and order confirmation numbers for my order and any other information requested. Signed it dated it, sealed it in an envelope with the address for the rebate on it. Stamped it and sent it off this morning. It was as easy as that. ;)

There are a million different retention people with a million different stories. Your job is to find the one who likes your story. I can't account for a $250.00 discount on top of the $299.00 price of the DVR, but I did get a $150.00 discount which DirecTV had quoted me two months prior that they would give me if I bought the HR10-250 at the price it was set to back then. I didn't go for it back then, but the second CSR I talked to on Sunday was willing to honor it for me on the $299.00 price which is what I asked him to do.

Really, all you have to do to get a deal like this is be firm and tell them that you know other people are getting it. It doesn't matter if you are a new or existing customer. You need to let the retention CSR know what you want. Tell them that you know others are getting similar deals and be willing to call them as many times as you have to until you are satisfied.

If I had been given a $250.00 discount instead of a $150.00 discount, DirecTV would have been paying me to give me the HR10-250. I'm just not greedy enough to try to push for a deal like that. ;)

I'm not sure how I can prove to you I got the discount, but I did and my transactions since last statement online also indicate so. I will include those here.

Here are the transactions since my last statement (note I also paid my bill which is $103.48/month for TC Premeire + three West coast network feeds + DVR fee + extra receiver fee for a standalone TIVO with the credit card while making this deal) (I also deleted any visible access card numbers for privacy purposes):

Transactions Since Last Statement

Date, Access Card, Description, Amount Tax, Sub-Total
08/05/2005, xxxxxxxx, - Monthly Bill, $0.00, $0.00, $0.00
08/05/2005, xxxxxxxxxxxx, Additional Receiver - Charge, $4.99, $0.00, $4.99
08/05/2005, xxxxxxxxxxxx, Network: ABC from LA_* - Charge, $1.50, $0.00, $1.50
08/05/2005, xxxxxxxxxxxx, Network: FOX from LA_* - Charge, $1.50, $0.00, $1.50
08/05/2005, xxxxxxxxxxxx, Network: NBC from LA_* - Charge, $1.50, $0.00, $1.50
08/05/2005, xxxxxxxxxxxx, TOTAL CHOICE PREMIER - Charge, $93.99, $0.00, $93.99
08/14/2005, xxxxxxxx, - One Time CCard, -$268.18, $0.00, -$268.18
08/14/2005, xxxxxxxx, HD-DVR - SvcC/Eq/Sh/Hn CR, -$150.00, $0.00, -$150.00
08/14/2005, xxxxxxxxxxxx, HD-DVR - Charge, $299.00, $0.00, $299.00
08/14/2005, xxxxxxxxxxxx, $14.95 Delivery and Handling - Charge, $14.95, $0.75, $15.70
08/14/2005, xxxxxxxxxxxx, Annual Commitment - Charge, $0.00, $0.00, $0.00

IMO, the more people who get the HR10-250 with a deal like this, the better. In reality it is good for DirecTV as the numbers of high-definition customers will increase and it is good for the consumers because most of those people will have an actual TIVO. Thus more people will be unwilling to accept any compromises in the form of an NDS branded high-definition DVR. Thus, NDS branded DVRs will be held to a higher standard.

I recommend that you not only try to get a similar deal, but through word of mouth, tell your friends about it too. ;)

Well I definitely believe you. I called the retention number listed above and within 2 minutes the CSR came back with a price of $299.00-$100 rebate. Like I said before I've only been a customer with Directv for a few months, so I didn't even bother to ask her about any other discounts in addition to the rebate.

The ONLY reason I'm not going for this deal is the lack of good HD content from Directv. It's almost worth it for OTA signals alone though to me. I'm tempted to call them back and see if they actually would offer me some other discount like you got BillyT.

LOBO2999 said:
2nd ,I will be dropping 1 of my SD DVR Tivos , it is a 1st generation Hughes , my question is can I take the Hard drive out of it and put it into another Tivo to increase the Hard Drive space ? They are both 35 hour tivos.
Thanks!

You can, but its not as simple as dropping it in. The drive needs to be formated a certain way and you might need a bracket, new IDE cable, power splitter to hold and connect the drive. There is a lot of information out there on how to upgrade Tivos.

billbillw said:
You can, but its not as simple as dropping it in. The drive needs to be formated a certain way and you might need a bracket, new IDE cable, power splitter to hold and connect the drive. There is a lot of information out there on how to upgrade Tivos.

Thanks!

They got swamped with calls today, and I think they're beginning to circle the wagons and eliminate the ultra-liberal deals. If you call, just ask for the $299 deal and if they balk, tell them it's the "Shopper" deal. Worst case deal is $299 with the $100 rebate. Anything beyond that is anyone's guess.

As with all equipment purchases from D*, all cables, installation, multiswitches, LNBs, etc. needed for full functionality are included - don't let the installer tell you differently. The $299 deal also includes a 3 LNB dish, so make sure you get that as well - assuming it is not installed.

I say tell your friends and their families and get everyone you can to buy the high-definition DVR with TIVO software. The more people who have this DVR, the more people who will hold the new NDS mpeg-4/ka-band/high-definition DVR which comes out in 2006 to a higher standard. Tell everyone to just call 800-600-8977 and request the deal. ;)

BillyT said:
I say tell your friends and their families and get everyone you can to buy the high-definition DVR with TIVO software. The more people who have this DVR, the more people who will hold the new NDS mpeg-4/ka-band/high-definition DVR which comes out in 2006 to a higher standard. Tell everyone to just call 800-600-8977 and request the deal. ;)

OR D* decides that way to many people have the HD-DVR and decide not to upgrade for free anymore!!!!

Another happy customer story for this thread. I called and the rep knew exactly what I was talking about. She offered me an extra $100 off plus some programming credits and then went to $150 off. It's being installed this Friday. This will replace my 4 year old DTC-100 HD receiver. I've had a DirecTivo for about a year now and can't say that it's "changed the way I watch TV". Perhaps the HD-DVR will... Sure will be nice for football season and new fall shows. Thanks for the info.

-JustBob

I called two times so far and both times the most they would offer is 299 and the mail in rebate. I have been a total choice customer for many, many years and never took a loyalty credit. The rep said that they could not offer a credit with the price coming down to 299. I guess I'll try again in the morning. Perhaps I could ask for a particular operator - one that offered the deal to someone in this forum. Would anyone like to volunteer any names?

Status
Please reply by conversation.