36X21 Inch Dish Network Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have that exact same dish on a Stab motor and get PBS on 125 W just fine in NM.

I bought the LNB you suggested for the Slimline dish I found. When it arrives, I'm going to try it on 125. Probably won't have any luck, but its the only dish I feel comfortable mounting on the roof with line of sight to 125.

I had some additional dishes lying around, so I figured I'd let the Ku Experts look at them. I was wondering what options are available for mounting a linear LNB on these two dishes. It looks like the WildBlue dish would be the biggest PITA. Both dishes may be too small, but figured I'd check it out. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20181024_153505[1].jpg
    IMG_20181024_153505[1].jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20181024_153513[1].jpg
    IMG_20181024_153513[1].jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20181024_153639[1].jpg
    IMG_20181024_153639[1].jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20181024_153619[1].jpg
    IMG_20181024_153619[1].jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_20181024_153529[1].jpg
    IMG_20181024_153529[1].jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_20181024_153636[1].jpg
    IMG_20181024_153636[1].jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 134
You can reuse those dishes but they are on the small side but it can be done people have done it before.

There's a HughesNet internet dish up there that measures 39 inches across, but it's a lot smaller up and down. I guess it could be used for picking up horizontal channels, but may be a bit lacking for the vertical channels. :)

I had some additional dishes lying around, so I figured I'd let the Ku Experts look at them. I was wondering what options are available for mounting a linear LNB on these two dishes. It looks like the WildBlue dish would be the biggest PITA. Both dishes may be too small, but figured I'd check it out. Any suggestions?
I think I see a DN Superdish, with the dual feed for 119W and 121W. The feed that is centered (for 121) should be linear and have a stacked FSS LNB that covers the regular Ku. In other words, if it is what I think it is, it's ready for Ku reception as it is. I'm using one of those for KBS on 123 and it's working great. Note that those LNBs are not very good, and the few I have played with were off by about 8-10 MHz, but they work well enough for stull like KBS or the CGTN channels on 95W or the RT/NHK mux on 103W. Also I think there's a hole in the arm that is well positioned for a typical Ku LNBF bracket, should you decide to use a new, better quality LNBF. With that dish you should be able to easily get many Ku satellites. So it's usable with minimal modifications.

Just keep in mind that those smaller-than-recommended dishes will not have much margin for rain fade.

I think I see a DN Superdish, with the dual feed for 119W and 121W. The feed that is centered (for 121) should be linear and have a stacked FSS LNB that covers the regular Ku. In other words, if it is what I think it is, it's ready for Ku reception as it is. I'm using one of those for KBS on 123 and it's working great. Note that those LNBs are not very good, and the few I have played with were off by about 8-10 MHz, but they work well enough for stull like KBS or the CGTN channels on 95W or the RT/NHK mux on 103W. Also I think there's a hole in the arm that is well positioned for a typical Ku LNBF bracket, should you decide to use a new, better quality LNBF. With that dish you should be able to easily get many Ku satellites. So it's usable with minimal modifications.

Just keep in mind that those smaller-than-recommended dishes will not have much margin for rain fade.

You're correct. There was a tag on the LNB that said just that on it. For now, I'll play with that one and see what pops up. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks.

Reactions: Brct203

What should the LO freq. be set at for this LNB?

What should the LO freq. be set at for this LNB?
very good question... You should set it to 10750. But the way that LNB works is that it works like a normal standard LNB for 11.7 to 12.2 Vertical, but for horizontal it uses a higher LO and stacks the resulting IF on top of the vertical signal

So basically from 950 to 1450 you get the vertical transponders and from 1650 to 2150 you get the horizontal transponders, without switching voltage. so in the receiver, just set it to one polarization and 10750 as the LO. Just expect to see Horizontal transponders show up with unusual frequencies like 12630 MHz etc. The beauty of those is that you could feed them to multiple receivers using spliters.

there's a great explanation here:
Satellite LNB: What is it, how does it work and where do I buy one? (scroll down to the "Stacked Frequency LNBs" section

the other LNB that is labelled "BSS Stacked" works the same way, but with the 11250 LO, for the 12.2-12.7 band

Reactions: raydio
Two Superdish units from Dish, SD105 and SD 121 had a linear LNBF for the 105W or 121W on them along with circular ones for the normal Dish stuff. You might be able to just "Plug and Play" that one.

I may get a chance to play with it today. Appreciate the information. :)

very good question... You should set it to 10750. But the way that LNB works is that it works like a normal standard LNB for 11.7 to 12.2 Vertical, but for horizontal it uses a higher LO and stacks the resulting IF on top of the vertical signal

So basically from 950 to 1450 you get the vertical transponders and from 1650 to 2150 you get the horizontal transponders, without switching voltage. so in the receiver, just set it to one polarization and 10750 as the LO. Just expect to see Horizontal transponders show up with unusual frequencies like 12630 MHz etc. The beauty of those is that you could feed them to multiple receivers using spliters.

there's a great explanation here:
Satellite LNB: What is it, how does it work and where do I buy one? (scroll down to the "Stacked Frequency LNBs" section

the other LNB that is labelled "BSS Stacked" works the same way, but with the 11250 LO, for the 12.2-12.7 band
You can remove the dbs lnb and put a fss lnb up then you can have 2 degree seperation.

Reactions: Brct203
You can remove the dbs lnb and put a fss lnb up then you can have 2 degree seperation.
i've actually tried that, with 97W and 95W, but the second feed being circular, the reception of 95W was compromised - i could get CGTN with limited quality, and not the Phoenix mux at all, as it would get interference from some signal at 12055V

That second feed, with the FSS LNB, is still a good option for 119W Anik F3...

Reactions: wvman
i've actually tried that, with 97W and 95W, but the second feed being circular, the reception of 95W was compromised - i could get CGTN with limited quality, and not the Phoenix mux at all, as it would get interference from some signal at 12055V

That second feed, with the FSS LNB, is still a good option for 119W Anik F3...

I played with the dish pictured with no results. I used my Amiko receiver and a SatLink meter and could not get a signal with this dish at all. I am doubtful that the LNB on it was working, so I took a FSS LNB off another dish and installed it on this one. Still nothing. I tried a variety of LNB settings with the Amiko receiver with no results, so I ordered a Universal Ku LNB and a conversion mount.

This dish and the LNB's that were tried had been stored out in the weather, so I'm doubtful either of them are functional. I was using 97W as a reference satellite to see if this dish was functional, but didn't get a hint of a signal. The battery was dead in my Birddog Ultra, so I didn't get a chance to hook it up. I will try again when my new LNB and bracket shows up. Appreciate the help you've given me so far. :)

img_20181024_153619-1-jpg.135694

I played with the dish pictured with no results. I used my Amiko receiver and a SatLink meter and could not get a signal with this dish at all. I am doubtful that the LNB on it was working, so I took a FSS LNB off another dish and installed it on this one. Still nothing. I tried a variety of LNB settings with the Amiko receiver with no results, so I ordered a Universal Ku LNB and a conversion mount.

This dish and the LNB's that were tried had been stored out in the weather, so I'm doubtful either of them are functional. I was using 97W as a reference satellite to see if this dish was functional, but didn't get a hint of a signal. The battery was dead in my Birddog Ultra, so I didn't get a chance to hook it up. I will try again when my new LNB and bracket shows up. Appreciate the help you've given me so far. :)

while you're waiting for the new LNBF, you could try the DBS LNB on the circular feed on 91W or 82W, if it works you should get scrambled Bell TV channels (with a few preview channels ITC). Or 110W. I think the other DN satellites are mostly Turbo at this point so would no scan in on the Amiko.

This LNB assembly is weird. It usually gave me mediocre results compared to a regular LNBF, except on 123W it works really well for KBS. So that's where I parked it.

Reactions: wvman
while you're waiting for the new LNBF, you could try the DBS LNB on the circular feed on 91W or 82W, if it works you should get scrambled Bell TV channels (with a few preview channels ITC). Or 110W. I think the other DN satellites are mostly Turbo at this point so would no scan in on the Amiko.

This LNB assembly is weird. It usually gave me mediocre results compared to a regular LNBF, except on 123W it works really well for KBS. So that's where I parked it.

Both of the LNB's pictured yielded no signal, and the other DN LNB was gone. I used to have some of them on hand, but they were given away long ago. It was fun playing with it just to see what would pop up. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts