4DTV 920 Mapping

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I unplugged my 920 today because I was moving a few things around. Lost all maps and now when I drag the 10 ft dish to G1 3 I can't get a lock although I did get a lock two weeks ago. I get a real strong signal from EWTN. Any thoughts ?

is it possible you have the LNBF in the setup at 90 degree rotated? I know when I use KU I have to set the menu to "90 degree rotated"

I had the same issue a while back. Change to normal and it should work :)

John I hate to even think about it, but it sounds like the battery has gone. I had that happen to me a couple of years ago with a power outage. If you know what it is, look at the units Digital ID# in Options 6 - 5? If it's changed, the battery has gone. Obviuosly, if you don't know what it was, this method won't help you to know, unless the number has completely disappeared.

Al

is it possible you have the LNBF in the setup at 90 degree rotated? I know when I use KU I have to set the menu to "90 degree rotated"

I had the same issue a while back. Change to normal and it should work :)

I tried it both ways when I couldn't get a lock. No luck.

John I hate to even think about it, but it sounds like the battery has gone. I had that happen to me a couple of years ago with a power outage. If you know what it is, look at the units Digital ID# in Options 6 - 5? If it's changed, the battery has gone. Obviuosly, if you don't know what it was, this method won't help you to know, unless the number has completely disappeared.

Al

Al, I wouldn't swear to it but unit id number looks the same. Can you think of any other way to determine if battery is gone ?

John if you have subscribed to anything digital, your provider will have the number. If so and you have a snailmail invoice, it will be on it. I hate to say it, but I had 2 power outages yesterday and all I lost was my program guide. The maps stayed in tact. If you lost the maps, you probably have a bad battery. I hope I'm wrong and someone will come along and help you out. I can't think of anything, but if I do, I'll post it for you.

Al

I lost my maps on an uplug of my 920, and my battery is fine.

I bought a bigger dish, got it yesterday, and just this morning got a lock on 91W --- G7 (maps update the name to GB) channel 24 (the DCII "international" channels)

The maps downloaded from there. took about 10 minutes.

Try that one.

I thought about trying for the maps on a different Sat but have read alot of conflicting info on that being possible. I will try that tomorrow.
What are the options when the battery is dead ?

John if you have subscribed to anything digital, your provider will have the number. If so and you have a snailmail invoice, it will be on it. I hate to say it, but I had 2 power outages yesterday and all I lost was my program guide. The maps stayed in tact. If you lost the maps, you probably have a bad battery. I hope I'm wrong and someone will come along and help you out. I can't think of anything, but if I do, I'll post it for you.

Al

Thanks AL. Good ideas.

I thought about trying for the maps on a different Sat but have read alot of conflicting info on that being possible. I will try that tomorrow.
What are the options when the battery is dead ?
John, if the battery has gone bad, the only option I know of to get it fixed, is to send it to ATS. They will put a new motherboard into it, which will have a new battery. And that will give it a new Identity, but they can tell you more than I can:
ATS Electronics, Inc. Authorized 4DTV Repair Center

Al

I lost my maps on an uplug of my 920, and my battery is fine.

I bought a bigger dish, got it yesterday, and just this morning got a lock on 91W --- G7 (maps update the name to GB) channel 24 (the DCII "international" channels)

The maps downloaded from there. took about 10 minutes.

Try that one.

Thank you my friend. I can confirm this works. Aimed at G11/G7 Channel 24. I got a lock and the maps. Went from 514 to 4881. G11 is a much easier shot for me because my house is in the way of G1.
Thanks again :up

Congratulations John, this is one of the few times, I'm glad I was wrong!

Al

Al, This is one of those times I am thrilled you are wrong. However I will be replacing the battery very soon.
I am also glad to find out we have other options on getting the maps.

Anyone know if the entire receiver should be sent to ATS for battery replacement or just the board ? I think immediate battery replacement is worth it considering I got the 920 for just a little labor.

seems like a lot of expense to consider...
$25 to send one way, $25 back.
And the expense to repair, what is it $80?
You're looking at $130 as it is.
You can buy a replacement receiver for that much.

Find a ham radio guy, ask around. The job isn't that bad. If you're even considering taking the thing apart to send just the board, you might as well just have someone local unsolder the thing. It is really that simple.

I would buy a small UPS unit just for the receiver and make sure its never unplugged.
Batteries are supposedly only good for 7 yrs and 920s are at least that old.
If you try replacing batteries you need to parallel the old and new before clipping the old one out.
I bought a 920 from ebay and guy said it worked fine but had set in closet for about a year.
He told me this after I got it DOA.
He was nice enough to pay ATS to repair it and send it back to me. Cost was $200 for all repairs and shipping.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)