4DTV Mod 922 Problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tjgood

Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
Last night my receiver essentially froze up, the clock showed 9:25 continuously. When I noticed it, I tried to turn on the receiver, wouldn't do anything. This afternoon I unplugged it for about 15 minutes and plugged it back in, it displayed the warm-up and then an incorrect time. I pushed the power button and the only thing displayed is the number 1. The clock display is now changing with the passage of time.
I've been fruitlessly searching the internet for ideas.
Can anyone out there offer some help/advice?
Thanks

Do any of the buttons on the remote work to bring up the menus onscreen?

If you use OPTION / 6 / 5

1st Question - Does the Unit ID that shows on the screen match what is on the back of the receiver, or is it all 00 00 00 's? (I'm trying to determine if the onboard battery has died and if the unit is now brain-dead)
2nd Question - What is the signal quality showing? (Trying to determine signal quality)
3rd Question - How many channels does it show on the bottom right-hand side? (Number of channels - gives a hint if the unit has done a master reset on its own..)

I have a dead 920 that when you turn it off. It too displays a "1". Unit i.d. is toast along with an analog picture rolling problem.
Tidi, you better hurry up and change your battery or never unplug it.:D

Try another unplug replug, if this does not do anything your 922 may have done a reset on it's own do to a brown out or dirty power, if your unit ID is still ok do a unplug replug anyways and do a master reset.

Appreciate the help guys/girls, as the case may be.
Here goes.
Davage: the remote has always given me fits, sporadic operation for years. Accessing through the front panel buttons shows the unit ID is still there & correct. Signal quality = 0/0. 555 channels indicated. You didn't ask, but I went to the satellite selection screen also. It doesn't show anything there.
kbghdg: I don't know what "tidi" means. After doing all that internet surfing yesterday I'm definitely getting the idea that a battery change is critical on these things. It will be done if I find out that the unit is salvageable at a reasonable cost. In the mean time I'll leave it plugged in pending resolution of this problem.
tdti1: Brown out/dirty power a real problem here. I have it plugged into a Monster Power HTS-5000 conditioner; not a UPS I know, but better than surge strips until I find one I like for A/V usage. Another unplug/replug didn't help; a master reset is doable, I'll wait til this evening and try it.

Last edited:
Yes it sounds like a glitch, a line conditioner or ups with line conditioner mite be a good investment, to reset the unit you need to press options 6-7-7-8 and select reset.

This usually happens when there is a short in one of the lnb cables, loose connectors or damaged cable run can cause that.

It seems that without the remote working I can't do a master reset, can't get to the hidden screens.
Hopefully tgti1 was right & it just did a reset on its own with nothing seriously wrong.
Working under this assumption; using front panel buttons, I reset the limits and was able to manually tune in/save satellites.
To update the answers to Davage's questions: it is now showing signal quality as 139/84 and 4707 channels.

If it's still working til next week, it'll get a battery change as kbghdg said.
Thanks again
& cross your fingers for me :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts