4K FTA HD Receivers?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I just saw this this morning: I have no affiliation with this receiver and no nothing about the ones bringing it to market, I only know the name "Tek2000" but do not know how reliable they are nor how they handle customer service. Maybe others have more info on them.
The receiver appears from the description to be able to handle the New CBS 4:2:2 Mpeg 4 plus the 4k signals up there if you have a 4k capable tv.

(Copied & pasted)

This receiver will decode DVB-S and DVB-S2 satellite signals, ATSC terrestrial and digital cable signals and supports all major video compression codecs like MPEG2, MPEG4, and H.265 (hevc) and can demodulate QPSK, 8PSK, 16APSK and 32APSK modulation.

Get the most out of your TVRO satellite experience with a ZGemma H7 (North American) 4K digital satellite receiver today!

Note: A 4K television is required to view UHD tv channels.

Note: This 4K receiver will start shipping with all our dish packages starting in August, 2017.

Note: Future EPG satellite support will only work if you purchase from us. It will NOT work with the European edition or any clones.

Note: We are the exclusive dealer for the North American Edition of the ZGemma H7 4K receiver.

(edited to remove links)

Note: Now accepting pre-orders for $249 USD (regular price $299 USD). Item will ship August 15th, 2017.

FEATURES
  • 4K (UHD) resolution
  • Front panel display
  • Front CI and smart card slots
  • DVB-S2 and ATSC tuners
  • QPSK, 8PSK, 16APSK and 32APSK demodulation
  • MPEG2, MPEG4, H.264, H.265 SD, HD, UHD video decoding
  • Internal SSD mount for PVR capability
  • 4.2.2 / MPEG 4 / H.265 processing
  • Enigma 2 Open Source Operating System
INCLUDES
  • ZGemma H7 (North American Edition)
  • Remote Control
  • 120V/240V Power Supply
  • HDMI Cable
TEK was making 4:2:2 claims for the Zgemma H7 during their pre-order campaign. When the receivers finally arrived, they did not support 4:2:2. If you check the Zgemma manufacturer's site, Shenzhen Air Digital Technology, you will find that the manufacturer never made any 4:2:2 claims. Tek, however, made a variety of claims stating that 4:2:2 decoding would be fixed with software, then stating that a modified version of the receiver would be available around Feb 2018 based on a new Broadcom decoder chip. The software and new decoder solutions never materialized. Tek is now promoting a CAM card solution that intercepts the data stream and transcodes 4:2:2 video to 4:2:0 video which is passed along to the receiver's decoder. This solution is supposed to be available by summer 2018. Cost of the CAM card is unknown.

Ignoring any 4:2:2 claims, and lack of blind scan, the ZGemma H7 appears to be a good value. I don't know, however, whether a dealer that misrepresents the product he's selling can be trusted. Use your own judgement.

ZGemma has a direct sales store on aliexpress.com.
Shenzhen Air Digital Technology Co., Ltd. - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Cost is 224.91. Minimum order quantity is 2. Shipping is free. The North American version with a dual DVB-S2 tuner and a single ATSC tuner is Model ZGemma H7.AC.

Last edited:
if you check his original thread on the subject which I had read before I ordered one he was lead to believe that the receiver would support 4:2:2: I.E.;

I have been told this receiver can decode 4.2.2 / MPEG4 chroma profiles and is capable of blind scan, but needs another firmware update. As soon as I can confirm that these two features work and the CBS channels decode, I will let everyone know.
The 4K TVRO Revolution begins! - TVROSat

A little further down the thread he said;

We are not initially releasing the 4:2:2 mpeg4 firmware because of some technical problems and until the manufacturer gets permission to use this commercial codec legally. You guys made such a fuss about 4:2:2 that it went around the world all the way to the chip maker! If the firmware with the 4:2:2 supports gets leaked, you can use it, but it does have some problems.

He never said on the website or product description that the receiver did 4:2:2 but that it was a work in progress. Apparently the manufacturer couldn't solve the problems from a simple firmware update as apparently this chroma format is only used in the US and the manufacturer is from China. Apparently they have found a way to hande 4:2:2 through a Cam module. Once it's released and tested [if at a reasonable price point] I'll probably purchase one. Of course you are free to assume that he was being intentionally misleading but you have no proof AFAIK that this is true but only your supposition. I purchased a 10' dish package from them this past summer as well as the Zgemma receiver and I have found them to be legitimate and above board and since I actually own one of those receivers I can vouch for it's performance myself. I currently have nothing but good things to say about them and unless you can point to a claim where they stated the receiver definitely decodes 4:2:2 I would be careful about accusing someone of misrepresentation. I followed the release of the receiver from the beginning and saw only that it was hoped that 4:2:2 capability would come along but no promises to that were ever made AFAIK.

if you check his original thread on the subject which I had read before I ordered one he was lead to believe that the receiver would support 4:2:2: I.E.;

This is the only ad that I saw. It came up on a google search for Linux E2, DVB-S2, 4K, 4:2:2. I didn't see any disclaimers regarding 4:2:2 decoding:

Note: Now accepting pre-orders for $249 USD (regular price $299 USD). Item will ship August 15th, 2017.
FEATURES

• 4K (UHD) resolution
  • Front panel display
  • Front CI and smart card slots
  • DVB-S2 and ATSC tuners
  • QPSK, 8PSK, 16APSK and 32APSK demodulation
  • MPEG2, MPEG4, H.264, H.265 SD, HD, UHD video decoding
  • Internal SSD mount for PVR capability
  • 4.2.2 / MPEG 4 / H.265 processing
  • Enigma 2 Open Source Operating System

Reactions: madmadworld
That is inline with what he was lead to believe himself as that was 'pre-orders' of the Zgemma before they received a copy that could be tested. Now whether or not they knew that it was only a possibility but were claiming it could in order to get people to order it I don't know and can't prove either way. I only have what was posted on the forum and what was discovered after he had one in hand that could be tested. AFAIK only the older AZbox Elite or Premium could do legitimate 4:2:2 decoding. I know some of the USB boxes can also do 4:2:2 and I'd like to have one but unfortunately they don't play well with Apple products and my current desktop is an iMac. What I can tell you is that the Zgemma is a great receiver that can do 4K and is $50 cheaper than the Octagon that Rick sells. If a Cam module comes out at a decent price that can support 4:2:2 I'll do it and gladly report back. I can also tell you that I received both my dish package and the Zgemma from this supplier and that they have met and/or exceeded any claims that have been made.

Today I've got this "toy" IMG_20180219_101130(1) (Medium).jpg ScreenHunter_546 Feb. 19 23.07.jpg Watched several 4k channels....impressive picture.

That is inline with what he was lead to believe himself as that was 'pre-orders' of the Zgemma before they received a copy that could be tested. Now whether or not they knew that it was only a possibility but were claiming it could in order to get people to order it I don't know and can't prove either way. I only have what was posted on the forum and what was discovered after he had one in hand that could be tested. AFAIK only the older AZbox Elite or Premium could do legitimate 4:2:2 decoding. I know some of the USB boxes can also do 4:2:2 and I'd like to have one but unfortunately they don't play well with Apple products and my current desktop is an iMac. What I can tell you is that the Zgemma is a great receiver that can do 4K and is $50 cheaper than the Octagon that Rick sells. If a Cam module comes out at a decent price that can support 4:2:2 I'll do it and gladly report back. I can also tell you that I received both my dish package and the Zgemma from this supplier and that they have met and/or exceeded any claims that have been made.
I have the AZbox Premium. It decodes MPEG2 4:2:2 feeds, but not MPEG4 4:2:4 feeds. I just get a black screen on MPEG4 4:2:2 feeds.

I'm also running a Chrome Box (Dual Core Intel) with LibreElec/KODI software. Presumably, it's capable of USB tuner support, but I've never tested this feature. I would have to find a suitable DVB-S2 tuner for USB. The Intel graphics should support 4:2:2.

Hello All
VU + Zero 4K .
I had this Receiver for about 2.5 weeks now and still working very good with issues.
I purchsed it from World of Satellite and I am ery Happy with it.
As you can see is a very limited Receiver, but, if you have an external USB HD, A USB HUB, A ATSC EXTERNAL TUNER LIKE THE HAUPPAUGE 955Q, than is not so limited anymore, with all these extras components connected the receiver does not get very hot
PROS - Fast switching channels.
Very nice remote
Very nice picture, the UHD channels look very nice and so the other none-UHD channels.
It is very small so you can put it anywhere.
Multiboot works very well and it does not get stuck on booting.
It records and plays recordings back with no issues.
I connected a USB WIFI adaptor, it was recognize by the receiver right away, but I haven't try to connect to the network using WIFI.
I have the receiver connected to the ASC1 Satellite Dish DiSEqC Positioner and it moves my 10 foot dish with no problems same speed as my other receivers.
This receiver suppose to scan and be able to detect the 16APSK AND 32APSK feeds.
Not to expensive.
It had no problems detecting all the components I mentioned above and the ASTC tuner scans very well.
Blind Scan is good on C-Band and Ku Band
CONS - The SNR signal reads high I don't how true it is.

The VU + Zero 4K is an affordable entry-level receiver into the ultra-high resolution (4K) TV world. The VU + Zero 4K offers a S2X tuner for the first time and is therefore prepared for the future.
TWO YEAR HARDWARE WARRANTY!
ENIGMA 2 SUPPORT FROM OPENVIX, OPENATV, OPENPLI + MORE!
VU + Zero 4K 1x DVB-S2X Multistream tuner Linux UHD set-top box
Digital satellite receiver for UHD and HD TV and radio programs.
The heart of the VU + Zero 4K is the 2x 1.500 MHz ARM DualCore processor. Experience UltraHighDefinition (UHD) TV with the VU + Zero 4K set-top box.
Key Features:
Very fast switching times
WebKit Browser
HbbTV
HDMI 2.0 output
1x tuner DVB-S2X
1x USB 2.0
ARM CPU (2x 1,500 MHz)
eMMC flash memory
HVEC / H.265 video decoding
External 12V power supply
Technical Highlights:
1,500 MHz ARM DualCore processor
4096 MB Flash (eMMC)
2048 MB of DDR3 DRAM
LAN (10/100 MBit / s)
1x DVB Common-Interface slot
1x smartcard reader (Xcrypt)
1x USB 2.0 (back)
S / PDIF audio output optical (digital)
1x HDMI 2.0 video / audio output (digital)
unlimited channel list for TV and radio
EPG (Electronic Program Guide) support
Support of bouquet lists (favorites lists)
OSD in many languages
UI appearance versatile (skin support)
Expandable with many free plugins (apps)
automatic / manual channel search
DiSEqC 1.0 / 1.1 / 1.2, USALS
SCR / CSS (EN50494 & EN50607)
External 12 volt power supply
power switch
RS232 - service interface
Free apps available for iOS and Android
Video decoding:

Video compression HVEC / H.265, MPEG-2 / H.264 and MPEG-1 compatible
Video standard PAL G / 25 Hz, NTSC
Picture format 4: 3/16: 9
Letterbox for 4: 3 TV sets

Output Digital:

Sampling frequencies 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz
S / PDIF output optical (AC3)
Audio encoding:
Audio compression MPEG-1 & MPEG-2 Layer I and II, MP3
Audio Mode Dual (main / sub), stereo
Sampling frequencies 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 16 kHz, 22.05 kHz, 24 kHz

power consumption:
<10W (in operation, with LNB)
<9 W (in operation, without LNB)
<0.5W (deep standby mode)

External power supply:
Input: 110 - 240V AC / 50 - 60Hz / 0.7A
Output: 12V = / 2.0A
Delivery:
1x VU + Zero 4K DVB-S2X 1x DVB-S2X Multistream Tuner UHD Receiver
1x remote control
1x Quick manual (German / English / Spanish / Dutch / French / Italian)
1x external IR receiver
1x HDMI cable
2x batteries (AAA)
1x power supply (110-240V / 12V)

Attachments

• screenshot_2018-02-28_02-40-08.jpg
    screenshot_2018-02-28_02-40-08.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 303
  • screenshot_2018-02-28_02-47-51.jpg
    screenshot_2018-02-28_02-47-51.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 266
  • screenshot_2018-02-28_02-49-38.jpg
    screenshot_2018-02-28_02-49-38.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 318
  • screenshot_2018-02-28_02-50-58.jpg
    screenshot_2018-02-28_02-50-58.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 265
  • screenshot_2018-02-28_02-53-36.jpg
    screenshot_2018-02-28_02-53-36.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 268
  • screenshot_2018-02-28_02-55-40.jpg
    screenshot_2018-02-28_02-55-40.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 263
  • screenshot_2018-03-01_02-31-47.jpg
    screenshot_2018-03-01_02-31-47.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 306
Is Closed Captioning and European Subtitling ready receiver?

That receiver looks good to me provided is to carry CC and Subtitling format and also any Teletext formats.:hungry2

Thanks!:)

I have a USB hard drive connected to my Zero and it records any thing from UHD, 1080P with no problems and it can play the recordings with no issues.
Regards.
Tunder

A few weeks ago I ordered the VU Plus Zero 4k from Europe for $165 delivered in 3 days via DHL. Thank you Tunder for your recommendation! This 4k STB is the best 4k STB that I have tested! Blows the Zgemma H7, Octagon SF4008 and the K1 receivers out of the water!

The Zero 4K Blind Scans transponders for DVBS/S2/SX, SD/HD/UHD, in approx. 2 minutes and completes the service scan in approx. 6 minutes. Found over 2600 TV and Radio services on 105w C-band in one blind scan pass in about 8 minutes. The radio services are showing the service names! Currently flipping though and listening to dozens of morning show feeds.

Scans and plays the Music Choice 125w VCM channels (with video), 16APSK, H.265 and flawless 4k. Upconverts and downconverts, so it doesn't matter if you have an HD or UHD TV. It features a built-in hotspot / server and time can be set to reference NTP. The DVR works fine with all formats (including radio). Live stream and DVR playback of 4:2:2. Yes, the teletext service works.

Watching local TV with an ATSC USB dongle and listening to FM radio with a RTL DVBT USB dongle via a powered USB Hub.

So far I've tested the OpenATV and SatdreamGR E2 images and dual boot. Takes about 2 minutes to swap between images. OpenPLI is my favorite, but the blind scan addon needs to be updated, so will patiently wait for their upcoming build.

For anyone interested in jumping on the 4k train, finally a STB that I would recommend!

How much do I like the Zero 4k? Am working on getting some to resell in North America.

If buying out of the EU, contact the seller to arrange the export price without VAT. This savings will be equal to receiving free shipping!

I would love to buy this receiver, but I am holding it off till they add Closed Captioning for NA regions.:rolleyes:

When they do add CC then I will order the baby.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)