510 DVR...How would you rank it?

gaoxiang

Original poster
Apr 4, 2005
I have a new system with a 522 and it sucks, nothing good to say about it. I am considering swapping it out for a 510. What do you all have to say about the 510? Is it a reliable machine, without all the sound dropouts, audio popping when changing channels, and frequent picture distortion that I have every 5 minutes on my 522??? How would you rank the 510 on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being perfect? All input appreciated!

As a single tuner I would score it a 9. It is a very stable box. I have had two of them for about six or seven months and have not noticed any problems with them. Only thing bad I can say about the 510 is no name based recording .

I'd rank mine an 8. It has it occasional turn the channel and nothing happens just a black screen. When it does this it is on every channel. Holding in the power button and letting it reboot fixes this problem for a month or 2.

My biggest gripe about the 510 is when you skip forward a day or two in the guide and find a movie or program you want to record and you hit either the "select" button or the "record" button, often it kicks you out of the guide and back to the channel you were watching. If you change channels to the one you want to record on and attempt to select the program again, it kicks you out to channel 101. It may do this up to five times before it accepts and creates a timer. I still cannot figure out what causes this and it gets very frustrating at times. Also, we have noticed lately that it has just spontaneously deleted some of our weekly timers. Shows that used to get recorded every week suddenly just weren't recorded and the timer had dissappeared. It took us awhile to notice because we are behind in watching our shows for the season.

I guess overall I would rate the 510 at about 7+ (as compared to a VCR rated at 3).

The 510 is a great unit. If you get any of the conditions mentioned above, get another one as these are bad boxes. You should have trouble free viewing and recording. Best addition we've made to our system.

I would say very solid until the latest updates. Now the box I liked the most has become the box I hate the most. They better come out with new software real quick. I have a couple quirky boxes in an 811 and 522 and the 510 is the worst now.

gaoxiang said:
I have a new system with a 522 and it sucks, nothing good to say about it. I am considering swapping it out for a 510. What do you all have to say about the 510? Is it a reliable machine, without all the sound dropouts, audio popping when changing channels, and frequent picture distortion that I have every 5 minutes on my 522??? How would you rank the 510 on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being perfect? All input appreciated!

So far excellent. I used to have 2 boxes and I Never had any problems with them.

Pils said:
I would say very solid until the latest updates. Now the box I liked the most has become the box I hate the most. They better come out with new software real quick. I have a couple quirky boxes in an 811 and 522 and the 510 is the worst now.
What update do you have? May have a bad box. Mine is still rock solid. I will check and see tonight what version I have.

3.00, My box was flawless until this update, it is not a bad box, thats for sure. Others have the same issues, posted in another thread.

I've been with E* for about 7 years now and I've had about a half dozen different receivers and I have to say my 510 has got to be the Best one so far. But I do agree with ByrdWatcher about the NBR (damn you Charlie :mad: )

Pils said:
3.00, My box was flawless until this update, it is not a bad box, thats for sure. Others have the same issues, posted in another thread.

Hmm. Have 3.00 on my 501 and 508 and have had zero problems with either. :confused:

NightRyder

The 510 box I have now was more stable than the 7200 I originally owned. I love the ability to record programs that I would normally miss out on watching (work nights) plus I can zap past the commericals. My box has been pretty stable for the most part, just a few quirks every now and then...do a reset with the power button or unplug the receiver and it usually solves the problem.

ByrdWatcher said:
Only thing bad I can say about the 510 is no name based recording .

And they charge you $4.95/month for the lack of NBR unless you have AEP programming. :(

Never had a 510 but the 501 and 508 I had were a good box, only messed up on a rare occasion.

I would have had no complaints until just a few days ago when the hard drive failed. The receiver still works except no DVR functionality. Dish sent a replacement in just a few days.

I also have two 510's. One is at least a year old, and the other only a few months. I haven't had a bit of trouble with either unit, so I'd definitely recommend them.

I had a 510 for a little over a year and I'd say it was pretty damn good. From what others have said about other recievers on here I'd say it's a top ranked box and very stable.

The 510 is an excellent box stability wise. Feature wise it sucks though and having to pay $5 a month for it's a joke. This 522 I just got seems to be the steaming pile of poo poo that everyone says it is. My wife already wants to go back to the 510 but I like the dual tuners too much. Ah well, just a few more months and bye bye Dish :D.

The 522 is the only DVR receiver I have had that has not went bad yet but I have not had it for that long yet so I give it a little while longer before it fails too.

The 501, 508, and 510 receivers are all the same except for the size of the hard drive. The 510 receiver has the $5/month charge, while the 501 and 508 do not. The 508s are still available.

These receivers have been around a while and are very stable. I have had my 501 for years and never had any problem at all (Except for the 1st year. That it how long it took E* to get the software to the point where it was stable). I do not have any of the problems described in this thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts