5G Network interference:

ispaguil

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2022
Austin Texas
Hello guys:
I live in Austin Texas and since the telephony companies activated the 5G net I have serious problems to get the satellite signal from the Eutelsat 113 West. The signal freezing continuously. Is there any way to scape from the interference? The signal I got from that bird is very strong (75%). My system is a 6 foot dish with a Geosatpro receiver. The interference covers all transponders.I never had any problem before the 5G started here. Very nasty!!!!

If you are, indeed having issues because of the 5G, (first I've heard of it actually from a non-broadcaster) you're one of the satellite users in the country that will need a filter which may or may not help, depending on strength of (5g) signal. As a broadcaster, we had the option to file with the FCC to either have the satellite company or companies come out and fix the problem at no charge, or take a buyout funded by the FCC to fix our own problems on C-band after the bandwidth was reallocated. Unfortunately, a filter is really your only help if the issue turns out to really be the 5G. The filters are available, and there's two kinds, known as the "blue" and the "red." Due to our radio station's more rural nature, we've not had to deal with this yet, and probably won't....but if you google the filters it may help you. You may also call and politely ask for the name of a local broadcast engineer at an AM or FM station. Chances are, if any of their programming is brought in by C-band, they've had to deal with it already in your area.and he may be able to advise you. I guess what I'm saying is, if YOU are having issues, probably the most local of AM/FM stations or even a TV station may have had to fix this as well.

Don't know if this is of much help, but I wish you the best of luck! Oh, and WELCOME to Satelliteguys.us! We're all glad you're here.

Hello guys:
I live in Austin Texas and since the telephony companies activated the 5G net I have serious problems to get the satellite signal from the Eutelsat 113 West. The signal freezing continuously. Is there any way to scape from the interference? The signal I got from that bird is very strong (75%). My system is a 6 foot dish with a Geosatpro receiver. The interference covers all transponders.I never had any problem before the 5G started here. Very nasty!!!!

Sorry to hear that. You could try the filters radio mentioned or perhaps one of these new 5G filtering lnbfs from Titanium might help. He has single and dual output models based on your needs.

If the interference is severe even those may not help. In that case you may need to build an RF fence between the dish and the interference source or even consider moving the dish behind a building to block it. Best to check the area yourself with a spectrum analyzer or have it checked by a pro. Then you can determine the best way to proceed. Good luck! :)

Hello there again. I see the filter is an option to avoid the 5G interference to the C-band on 113 W Eutelsat bird. I have lost a lot of good channels, I also have invested a lot of money on my FTA satellite system and this is very nasty. Agai, where can I buy the filter please? Thank you in advance.
If you are, indeed having issues because of the 5G, (first I've heard of it actually from a non-broadcaster) you're one of the satellite users in the country that will need a filter which may or may not help, depending on strength of (5g) signal. As a broadcaster, we had the option to file with the FCC to either have the satellite company or companies come out and fix the problem at no charge, or take a buyout funded by the FCC to fix our own problems on C-band after the bandwidth was reallocated. Unfortunately, a filter is really your only help if the issue turns out to really be the 5G. The filters are available, and there's two kinds, known as the "blue" and the "red." Due to our radio station's more rural nature, we've not had to deal with this yet, and probably won't....but if you google the filters it may help you. You may also call and politely ask for the name of a local broadcast engineer at an AM or FM station. Chances are, if any of their programming is brought in by C-band, they've had to deal with it already in your area.and he may be able to advise you. I guess what I'm saying is, if YOU are having issues, probably the most local of AM/FM stations or even a TV station may have had to fix this as well.

Don't know if this is of much help, but I wish you the best of luck! Oh, and WELCOME to Satelliteguys.us! We're all glad you're here.
ilter is

Not a lot of details provided regarding which channels on 113W you are now unable to receive however if its any of the feeds below 3800MHz, its unlikely you will be receiving those anymore. For feeds above 3800Mhz, a new LNB with 5G filter may make a big difference.

Sorry to hear that. You could try the filters radio mentioned or perhaps one of these new 5G filtering lnbfs from Titanium might help. He has single and dual output models based on your needs.

If the interference is severe even those may not help. In that case you may need to build an RF fence between the dish and the interference source or even consider moving the dish behind a building to block it. Best to check the area yourself with a spectrum analyzer or have it checked by a pro. Then you can determine the best way to proceed. Good luck! :)
Thank you so much.

Reactions: FTA4PA

Is there any other way to erase the 5G interference on C band other than a expensive filter?

Thank you but I can't move the dish, it is set on the only one place I have available. I guess the fence or the filter should be the best options.

Thank you but I can't move the dish, it is set on the only one place I have available. I guess the fence or the filter should be the best options.
I priced the cost of building an RF fence and for me it was quite a bit higher than buying the filter.

I am quite happy with my Titanium C138 filter. I would be even happier if I lived out in the country and didn't need it at all!

But I am wondering if I ever buy a 5G phone, will it create RF interference so strong that even the C138 might not be able to filter it out?

One advantage to building a fence is it will block the 5g in any case. Where as if 5g claims the next band of frequencies (like they did already and might do again) then you’ll need a new filter to keep up. So if you’re on the fence, then consider a fence.

One advantage to building a fence is it will block the 5g in any case. Where as if 5g claims the next band of frequencies (like they did already and might do again) then you’ll need a new filter to keep up. So if you’re on the fence, then consider a fence.
At $0.33 per square foot, a wire mesh 5G fence would be quite expensive: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Phifer-48-in-x-25-ft-Brite-Aluminum-Screen-3000914/100392916
How many square feet would you need to protect a motorized 10' dish? My guess is about 500. And you would need to ground it.

Chicken wire is much cheaper but it doesn't block all of 5G. Also, a 5G fence would be a very ugly addition to a backyard.

What's the technical theory on an RF fence? 3.8GHz is about 8cm wavelength so do the holes in the mesh just need to be less than the wavelength of the signals? Does anyone understand the science behind it?