6' Panel Dish with Feedhorn?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
A couple questions ( since I've already ordered the hardware ).
1. Assuming the coax cables to the orthomode feed lnb's are on the correct lnb, is switching from Verticle to Horizontal at the receiver automatic ( as it would be for a voltage controlled lnbf), or will some custom programming be necessary ( like 2 sats, 1 Horiz and 1 Vert).
2.I already use a Zinwell 4x8 for Cband and Ku band, with the Ku band on the 22khz inputs. Is there any reason that I can't convert only the 0Khz inputs to full time 18V and leave the 22khz ports alone, so that I can keep my current configuration ?
:)

A couple questions ( since I've already ordered the hardware ).
1. Assuming the coax cables to the orthomode feed lnb's are on the correct lnb, is switching from Verticle to Horizontal at the receiver automatic ( as it would be for a voltage controlled lnbf), or will some custom programming be necessary ( like 2 sats, 1 Horiz and 1 Vert).
2.I already use a Zinwell 4x8 for Cband and Ku band, with the Ku band on the 22khz inputs. Is there any reason that I can't convert only the 0Khz inputs to full time 18V and leave the 22khz ports alone, so that I can keep my current configuration ?
:)

I have an ortho to put on my dish. I modified just the 0khz side for the 18 volt on both polarities and it checks
out fine. The 22khz side is 18v and 13v. The switch itself will act like the voltage controlled lnbf and select
the port based on the voltage from the reciever so I'd say yes, your current setup should be fine.

Well , the hardware arrived and I just bolted together the feedhorn and two Norsat lnb's, mounted the assembly in place of my C2 lnbf, and it's working. Hasn't been tuned, obviously, but I DO get a tiny Q number on the ABC feeds on 99W ( DVB-S2 8psk 9/10 FEC), so clearly I have more sensitivity than before. It's pretty exciting thinking of getting out there when the rain stops and seeing how well I can tune it in. Moving the orthomode unit back and forth, and skew adjustments are bound to get me something !! :)
Not bad for a 69.95 6 footer. Thanks, Robbie !! :)

Did a blindscan on 99W with my Azbox Prem +, and it picked up the ABC nets ( 4140 tp) very nicely . Never got a whiff of these with the Geosat Pro lnbf. Thank you Pendragon, for your fine advice. :)

Nice to hear how that is working out for you Brent. I need to get my Ortho and Norsat's on mine.
Have had them for several months but weather and other priorities have put it on the back burner.

Jim

wow, just found this thead. thanks for the great new brentb636, now I have to get one :)

It doesn't solve all the problems of a 6 foot dish ( low powered feeds ) but knowing that it can haul in a 9/10 FEC signal is a real confidence booster. :)

Finally got mine on. Yeah, it does not make the dish bigger but it sure helps. Getting the 9/10 FEC you had mentioned and MeTV used
to drop out during the day on me starting this spring but no more. Good signal all day. I'm sure I need to tweek it some more. I
noticed on ThisTV and MeTV my quality went way up with the feed bottomed out on the scaler. Sure got me scratching my head.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I am wanting to put a single ortho feed with two Norsat 8525 LNB's on my 7.5 footer and go C only with it. Will the following be all that I need to do this, 1.) C-Band ortho feed; 2.) LNB's, and 3.) WNC SWA-48 switch modified? Do I have to modify the switch if I am just using one receiver? Also, how do I hook up the LNB's to the switch and then to the receiver? I am using a Manhattan RS-1933. Thanks in advance for the help.

You don't have to modify the switch if the LNBs you use don't need a full 18v and can operate on 13v. You could use a DiSEqC switch but you would have to make a different transponder list for Horizontal and Vertical frequencies as two different sats. The mod is simple. I bought 2 of those WNC 4x8 switches on Ebay for $11 each.

The preference for the WNC SWA-48 comes from the fact the covers are removable, held on with screws. Solder in two resisters and screw the cover back on.

Attachments

• WNC%20SWA-48%20Mod.jpg
    WNC%20SWA-48%20Mod.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 142
Once I get that multiswitch modified, do I hook up both LNB's to it, and then run one line from that multiswitch to the receiver? Will the receiver then "think" it is hooked up to one C-Band LNB and change polarities based on voltage?

yes and yes You hook up to the side without the 22khz tone I'm going to use a dual orthomode C/Ku so I will use all 4 inputs on the switch. So I will use tone on for Ku channels. The line to the reciever is not there yet in this pic. I color coded the cables to keep them in order.

Attachments

• switch 002.JPG
    switch 002.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 161
  • Pinnacle 003.JPG
    Pinnacle 003.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 159
yes and yes You hook up to the side without the 22khz tone I'm going to use a dual orthomode C/Ku so I will use all 4 inputs on the switch. So I will use tone on for Ku channels. The line to the reciever is not there yet in this pic. I color coded the cables to keep them in order.

Thanks a lot Magic Static for your help. I have ordered the WNC switch (I got two to have an extra). I have my Chaparral dual C feed on order, and I have got to decide which Norsat LNB's I want to get. That is a great looking Winegard dish that you have got. You did an excellent job on the restoration. Looks like it will serve you for many more years. I would love to have H-H mount like that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)