720p vs. 1080i

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ChrisDuncan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 16, 2005
I was wondering which setting you all like better, 720p or 1080i. On my projector, which is just a 480p DLP, it turns out that 720p actually looks quite a bit better. For some reason, even the black level and color looks better at 720p. I also get less stairstepping on the edge of objects. My projector is probably pushed to its limits since the screen is 126" diagonal (16:9) but I think Voom looks fantastic on it. I have a black ceiling and dark purple walls, and dark carpet with curtains around the screen (dedicated theater room) which helps the contrast.

On my TV, a 65" CRT Toshiba, in some ways 1080i looks better. I definitely can't tell a big difference between the two like I can on my PJ though. In some ways, even on the PJ 1080i looks to have slightly more detail, but it's not nearly as smooth so the 720p image makes for a more enjoyable experience. What's surprising is how black bars on 2.35:1 movies look so much darker in 720p than 1080i. Why would that be?

Thanks

I have a 720P projector and I leave it on 1080i all the time, it seems the scaling down of a higher resolution seems to give the impression of a better image. Magic?

You are brave pushing a 480P pj to 126"! I am viewing mine at 110" from 14' away and it is almost too big. I am just far enough away so I don't get any SDE.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)