722 stopped reading external drive

FranKy400

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Last night my 722 showed a warning screen stating that my internal hd was corrupted and everything had to be deleted for my receiver to work. I unplugged for a few hours and then reset it and it came on again working properly. I immediately moved everything off the internal hd to the external hd. Earlier today everything worked just fine. Now tonight when I go to my media it freezes and after a couple of minutes reboots itself. I have tried several times to access the external drive, including unplugging the drive and reconnecting it. Each time the receiver states that the device has been disconnected/connected, but when I go to manage the device it again freezes and reboots.

Is my external drive corrupted or do I just need a replacement receiver? or something else? And if I get a replacement receiver will it be able to read my external drive? Or is everything gone for good? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

First, your external HDD will connect to a replacement box, or any box on your account that has the archiving feature (the 211K uses an external HDD, but it is for DVR feature not archiving. The recordings on your external HDD should be safe and playable on any ViP associated with your account (except the ViP's that have DVR to external HDD such as the 211K), including replacements. In short, don't worry.

What you are experiencing is very similar to what I also experienced. In my case I could do just about everything, but when I accessed the My Recordings, the box would freeze a few moments later, then reboot EVERY time I dared to enter My Recordings. Like you, I was able to archive all my recordings. I don't think I could access the external HDD via My Media, either, but like you, I could archive my recordings to the external HDD.

Now, you have a choice: you may call Dish and get it RMA'd. You would have to go to the trouble of disconnecting the DVR, waiting for a working replacement, then take the old DVR down to the UPS store (or equivalent) for free shipping.

--OR--

You can do what I did: perform a dump and HDD reformat. I did this because, like you, I had nothing to lose and I didn't want the hassle of the RMA and Dish would have sent me a replacement that would have been dumped and reformatted, anyway. I can tell you that after the dump and reformat, my 722K has worked PERFECTLY since, and that was about 4 months ago. In my case, a pop up appeared stating that the HDD was corrupted, then proceeded to reformat.

The dump and reformat is a last resort, desperate move only to be used if one has nothing to lose and should not be used lightly by others. In your case, you are a candidate for this procedure. However, you will lose all your timers, recordings still on the internal HDD, and most (strangely not all, I found in my case) settings. You are pretty much resetting the box as to when you first got it, like new, except the HDD is reformatted. The keys seem to be preserved so it is still associated to your account after the procedure.

I have seen a few posts lately regarding this SAME problem on both 722's and 722K's. Did Dish mess something up? Let's keep our eyes open to see if the problem becomes more common on this board.

The following is dump and reformat procedure:

Dish Network Last Resort Solution for Erring DVR's

Full Memory Dump and Reformat of HDD

Try this instead, it'll do a full reset/reboot as part of it:

1st: Hit this button sequence on your remote:

Menu-6-3-Info-Right-Left-TV/Video (or Input on some remotes)
to clear the NVRAM, then reboot it.

2nd: After it reboots and comes back up, just do a:

Menu-6-3-Info-Right-Left- Play,- Play,- Recall to format the internal HDD. It'll prompt to format, and reboot again.

You will lose all recordings, and your settings (and timers, write them down first) but it may fix your drive! If this doesn't do it, then it's time to RMA it.

Good luck, and please let us know what you've decided to do and how it turns out.

Wow. Thanks so much. I really appreciate your VERY informative post. I will go into my timers and other settings so that I can write them down and then give this procedure a try.

Thanks again for your help -- very much appreciated.

I was finally able to get around to trying your recommendation for resetting my internal hard drive and wanted to once again say "thanks" as it looks like this solved the issues and what you recommended was something I would never have come up with on my own. Fortunately all of my settings were retained with the exception of my timers and the one tv show that I intentionally left on the drive. Anyway, just wanted to let you know how things turned out and say thanks again.

Happy to hear of a good result. I think there were 2 others who had this problem very recently. Again, we should be aware if others report this because it may be bug, but I hope not.

We could also say that we saved Dish Network some $$$ as they didn't incur the costs of RMA'ing a box, not including some shipping.

Happy TV watching to you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)