8/18/2010 3:36pm - Uplink Activity Report - 93 changes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
There is really no other satellite they could put them on. Only 72 is another option.

110 &119 has a spotbeam that covers Maine and this DMA, but those are WA satellites. Our SD' s are on 110 spot now.

Dish is trying to move this DMA to EA, since everyone was a mixed Arc in this DMA and needed 2 dishs.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Have you called Dish and requested Platinum HD? I called they said they cannot give it to me because I live in AK. However, I have been able to watch free previews with 6ft antenna. Does not make sense.

You are correct, it does not make any sense. Same here in PR. I had Platinum HD, good signal, and that was before E-15. Dish just took it away, no way to re-subscribe, but we can watch all free previews. Go figure.
In the process, Dish is missing almost 20 bucks a month from me and countless others subscribers, not to mention a lot of them that just downgraded their service, and others, like myself, that are, for the first time, really looking for alternatives, in case Dish does not make the right thing soon.

I am one of those considering for the first time abandoning Dish. Not because of bad service but just because they are right now capable of providing same service for all regions outside of CONUS being these Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and USVI. We here for many years before Echostar 15 have been able to get all HD's from 61.5 and now they pull this stunt. Instead of offering better service they opted for discriminating against all these regions. People form Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and USVI start calling and emailing Dish Executive offices about this matter to get them to rethink their actions and start taking into consideration all of their subscribers not just only a part of them. We pay the exact amount as CONUS for less service if this is not discrimination I guess I must be crazy. All contact Information for the executive offices are on Dish Network Webpage under contact us. Please express your frustrations and keep writing untill they take some action. We are all one Nation not CONUS and the rest of the states beign the relegated territories to second hand service.

If Dish start putting $10 discount for subs like me ie in PR/VI/AK & Hawaii...then we are all cool & Dish will find less issues with us....but paying like others in CONUS & getting less....thats the issue with everyone.

Hi Everyone

I am very happy for all of you that recived new National HD channels and locals in some cities. But at the same time I am sad and very mad at Dish Network because with this uplink they have confirmed by their actions that they have no consideration for subscribers in Puerto Rico and USVI. Now that we can recive signal from 61.5 they have decided to move every national HD to 72.7, that we dont have a good signal, nor will have for a very long time. We only get 41 HD channels and a good idea would have been to provide internationals on 72.7 and leave and add new HD to 61.5, that way they serve the Eastern arq with the same channels but with the added effect of us here on the Islands getting the same amount of HD's as CONUS from Echostar 15 (61.5). Now we know that we have to look elsewere for HD service. Hate to admit this but it looks the local cable company is getting more atractive with each new action Dish takes. There is absolutly no reasoning what so ever on inverting channels between these two sats and leave us without HD service. Sorry for the rant but I have to express how upset and frustrated every costumer of Dish here on the Island feels. No more "Dish the leader in HD" here in Puerto Rico or USVI since local cable has more hd channels and adding every day. Guess they will start doing something when they start loosing costumers. It is sad that companies react only when is to late.

They decided to move HD Channels before the new 61.5 sat. launched. One of there main reasons for doing that is because of all the problems 61.5 had & because of room up there.

Now, they are sticking to the same plan after the new Sat. at 61.5 is up because 1) Tech's have already done quite of few setups using 72.7 & other weird configurations. 2) Because they want to move to a 1 Sat solution which is a great idea. 3) 72.7 has a lot more room to offer more HD Channels than 61.5 even with the new sat. If they left HD on 61.5, then they would run out of room & have to put it on 72.7.

I feel that made this decision because they had to do something. I know they didn't make this decision just to screw customers in PR, AL or Hawaii.

I noticed that also. I am pissed of about this now. Dish has in WFVX HD in the guide instead of the real inf & it's not even in HD. Way to advertise HD and only deliver SD crap.

I wouldn't be pissed if they just said SD from the beginning.

I'm wondering if they are working on it...as it is obvious in other markets they launch the local channels in SD when they are not HD.

I'm wondering if they are working on it...as it is obvious in other markets they launch the local channels in SD when they are not HD.

I hope so. I know that FOX HD in not available OTA. It's only in SD OTA, so I am not surprised if they don't launch it in HD for that reason.

But, if they weren't going to launch it in HD, then I don't think they would be WFVX HD across the program guide & put HD in the uplink.

I feel that made this decision because they had to do something. I know they didn't make this decision just to screw customers in PR, AL or Hawaii.

And don't forget, make some extra $$$$ off of all of us that are in the US but have the 110, 119, 61.5 set up and now cannot get all the new HD. Still refusing to give them money since I would have to upgrade a receiver (508dvr) and have them repoint. I understand that it costs to come out and upgrade receivers but been with them for over 10+ years. No, I have not gotten any kind of letter to upgrade to all MPEG4.

Why no cosiderations for long term customers?!?!?! Instead, I downgraded to cover price increases and not pay extra $10 for the HD platnum channels I don't get. Slowly going back to watching SD channels that is kind of a bummer.

Hi Sundude90

I completly understand your point and I am pretty sure that those reason that you point out had to be the trigger for Dish doing what their doing. But still they have probably more than a millon costumers between PR/USVI/Ak and Hawaii that are being charged the exact same amount of money as a CONUS client for a second class service. My opinion is that if you realy care for your clients you resolve the issues afecting them like this HD's on these regions and then start planing on making other changes. When making changes they have to take into consideration every costumer not just some of them. Or compensate with some kind of credit those costumers that are paying and not getting the same service, for the only reason of having a different zip code.

Hi Sundude90

I completly understand your point and I am pretty sure that those reason that you point out had to be the trigger for Dish doing what their doing. But still they have probably more than a millon costumers between PR/USVI/Ak and Hawaii that are being charged the exact same amount of money as a CONUS client for a second class service. My opinion is that if you realy care for your clients you resolve the issues afecting them like this HD's on these regions and then start planing on making other changes. When making changes they have to take into consideration every costumer not just some of them. Or compensate with some kind of credit those costumers that are paying and not getting the same service, for the only reason of having a different zip code.

I completely agree on what your saying. Dish really should give you a discount of some kind, if they can't give you all the channels that the people in the Continental US get.

Last edited:
Really? You think there are over a million Dish subs in PR/USVI/Ak/Hawaii alone?

What data/metrics are you basing this on?

Well dishburgh I am only realy guessing here since they have 14 millon and some in total. I know that between PR/USVI there are 4.5 millon potential costumers so less just guess they have 200 thousand here alone. Yeah you are right I am posibly exagerating but still the point is the same, there are still a lot of costumers being left out and then being overcharged for less service. Here on the island there are not as many options as in the mainland so we only get to choose between a limited few. Cable companies do not reach the mayority of the population so that leaves only two options Dish Network or Direct TV and believe me Direct TV here realy sucks, we don't get the satelites from Direct TV USA we only get one Direct TV satellite from Venezuela with limited programing and not many people are interested on their programing. So that brings us to Dish Network wish then has a higher posibility of capturing a lot of those 4.5 potential costumers. But still this is a guess not hard data. But anyhow you get my point and the frustration we all have here.

Last edited:
Hey now that we mention numbers here. Does anyone know or can find out what are the real number of subscribers outside Continental US? By this I mean legal subscribers in PR/USVI/AK and Hawaii. This data can be helpfull in ower matter.

There is one limitation. Normal equipment installed here is two 2.5ft antennas; one pointing to 110 and other with two LNBs 119/129. This setup is NOT 6ft antenna system as I have and you need that to get 129 conus. HD on 129 is delivered to Alaska in spotbeam. My point is why not sell service to those who has purchased big antenna with their own money and are able to receive CONUS here in Alaska.

I wonder if Dish is planning on keeping Rochester CONUS or changing it to spot. They could of course keep it CONUS until they get a new 77 or 61.5 spot beam satellite launched.