8PSK Module

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If you'll stick with mux analysis and just PVR function, your PC would be OK ( it will require once in a while to restart if memory allocation will come to the 512M edge). You'll need to networked it, then other more powerful PC with good graphic video card will play those files on your HD monitor/TV.

Smith P, about using the DVB Card? Does the PC have to be a very powerful one? Mine is 3 yrs old running XP home on 512 Mb of RAM w/ a 2 Ghz Celeron only. I would assume is enough just for analizing the stream , I do not even plan on using it as a PVR or anything? I can not afford to make this hobby more expensive than it is already.
Using a PCI card for SD or with TSREADER for either analysis or even for streaming HD to another device like Roku or PCH, you could probably get by with a much slower computer. I'm using a PC that's somewhere around 7 to 10 years old (can't remember), and it is around 1.8 GHz. I can play SD 4.2.0 and 4.2.2 on the computer, and it will do some low bitrate HD, but chokes badly on high bitrate HD. It streams any speed HD however without a problem.
Iceberg, How Do you find the DVB-S2 feeds since this CS 8100 does not have blind scan? If I want a C-Band Dish to be motorised for this 8PSK , then it will probably have to be even bigger as the motorised setup is more likely not perfectly aligned as a fixed dish is?. Your thoughts or anyone on this, please?.
Re finding DVB-S2... It doesn't always work, but I use an old Broadlogic 1030 pci card and a program that generates a spectrum of the satellite band. You can easily see where there are transponders being used, and if they don't show up in a blind scan, then they might be other modes, like DCII, or Trellis 8PSK, but they also might be DVB-S2. I take an analog receiver and tune that to the frequency of the unknown signal, then feed the baseband video into a SW receiver, and you'll get a signal corresponding to the SR of that signal. I then see if it's DVB-S2 using either the TT3200, which will lock without specifying the FEC/pilot parameters, and if it IS an S2 signals, then I can use one of my other S2 receivers (like CS 8100 Diamond 9000, Azbox) to determine the FEC and pilot. Somewhat cumbersome, but I don't have room for a blind scan receiver.
OFF topic (as usual, lol) I noticed that at least with the HD stuff from any PBS on 125W the audio tracks are only DD 2.0 not 5.1. Yet on my Bell TV subs , PBS Boston has DD 5.1 audio on the same show. Is it a CS 8100 issue? I am using an optical cable to an Onkyo 605 and I set DD as digital audio option on the CS menu. The box is supposed just to read and stream DD through the S/PDIF optical without even touching the audio track, right?.

Interesting. Using Tsreader right now on the 125W signals, it shows the PBS signals as being :

AC3: Mode complete main Coding 2/0 L, R
AC3: Dolby Surround Mode Not Dolby Surround
AC3: LFE Mode Off Dialogue normalization -24 dB

I assume that the 2/0 coding must correspond to what you're describing as the DD 2.0 ?? I don't know much about Dolby digital. What I have noticed though, is that most PBS programs work fine through regular L/R speakers, however on some programs, I seem to have to hook up the audio through a surround sound system to hear all the audio. I've been assumming that this has just been a situation where all the PBS audio is in 5.1 mode, but that usually the dialog is in the L/R channels, but sometimes the dialog is in the center channel. However what you're describing makes me think that perhaps even though it's AC3, that perhaps most of it isn't really in 5.1 ???
I don't know much about 5.1. I thought that AC3 and 5.1 were the same, but I guess not? Guess I need to do more reading.

hd fan

Regarding 125W PBS channel sound issue. The AV Receiver doesn't show if signal is in Mono or Stereo, and it may mistakenly recognize Stereo as DD 2.0, when it comes as PCM. If you hear that PBS audio coming as Stereo, you can select any Onkyo's Listening Mode to upgrade the sound. There should be a Listening Modes Table in Onkyo Manual. Depending on receiver model, Onkyo can convert Stereo to various modes. Not so with Mono. If Mono signal is the same in both channels, you can direct it to all speakers and play with Modes to some degree, like select Neural Surround, Neo6 Cinema / Music, or Pro Logic II. If Mono comes in one channel only (while the other channel may send non-playable, different sound or silence signal), it may come from the speakers you won't expect, so you need to tell the receiver, which Mono channel to play and what set of speakers to use. There is very little Mode choice in this case, and it affects a speaker subset selected the receiver.

Last edited:
AC3 and DD or Dolby Digital are the same , it has even had several other marketing names over the years. It is a compression technique developed by Dolby Laboratories as we all probably now. It could have up to 6 discrete digital audio channels (5.1) therefore it could easily be 2.0 only, similar to PCM but it is not PCM since it is a lossy compression technique. PCM it is the full raw bitstream after the A/D conversion or up to 48 khz digital sampling if you prefer to call it that way. DD it is a way to compress that PCM signal to make it smaller for transmission or storage.

BJ your TSReader confirms my suspicion . the first line is telling that there are only 2 digital channels , the first 2, L and R. a Full 5.1 will show 2/3 plus the LFE channel (.1). The second line is confirming there are no Dolby Surround Channels , LS and RS. and the third one is even telling that there is no LFE channel what most people wrongly call subwoofer. It remainds me recently during the Classic Bassebal Tournament , that once a gain we lost to the Japanese , this asian girls are killing me people, lol, the girls not the players of course, lol, well to the point, over here Rogers SportsNet , RSN had the exclusive rights and their audio was only 5.0 on the Ontario feed but 5.1 on the West feed even for the same game as per my Onkyo. Well I knew that issue existed since almost a year before because I subscribed to Bell TV and had RSN in my programming package , since I did not watch RSN much I did not cared and besides I also dropped that station very soon I did not complain at the time (let the native complain I thoght , besides they even have better equipment and more time tahn me probably, lol). Well during the Classic Tournament I decided to send an email to RSN to ask about it (nothing like watching the Cuban National team in full HD and glorious 5.1 audio , lol, BUT OUTSIDE OF CUBA, LOL), and guess what? apparently they had the LFE channel turned off on their RSN Ontario signal , for at least a year !!! without anyone noticing , Unbeleivable! only in Canada ! lol. I wonder if this is a similar case and the issue is: how come then PBS HD boston gets the audio full 5.1 for the same shows? I was even about to set up a UHF antenna to compare with the Buffalo PBS HD but I remember that most shows on Buffalo PBS are also 5.1 when I used to have the UHF outside until recently?. I would assume that every local PBS station gets the HD feed from this satellite downlink, right? I might send an email to PBS and to even LPB HD since they also had DD 2.0 only, will see?, lol. Unless it is indeed a CS 8100 since maybe BJ also uses a CS 8000/8100 receiver? Or is it AZBox, BJ?

Zamar23, I knew all that , that is why I said that I had the digital audio output set to DD not PCM. Makes no sense to me to have it on PCM since I have an Onkyo 605. The Onkyo 605 will light up and show PCM if it is PCM and will light up DD and also Dolby Digital 5.1 or 2.0 or even 5.0 as in the RSN story!. Beleive me , as in the RSN Story , the Onkyo never makes a mistake. What a fine receiver it is. Thanks for trying to help anyways.

About Finding DVB-S2 signals. My birdog has a SA and it sees an around 15 Mhz wide signal on 11785H, very high BTW. Anyone have any idea what it might be and more important any caracteristic differences between DVB-S and DVB-S2 when it comes to seeing the spectrum of them? I can even recognize the beacon at 11702V on the 123W bird but yet have no idea how to differentiate Analog , DVB-S, DCII or DVB-S2 signals by just looking at their spectrum.

BTW , I remember Iceberg posted somewhere the he looses LPB at night. I am on the same boat , right after sunset I lost it and I left the Onkyo on so at 6 am It waked me up because of the Audio of the LPB channel came back. The sky in the morning was also as clear as during the night. I guess the 90 cm Dish is definetely not big enough for thsi DVB-S2 signals.

Questions are still asked at times about 8psk Turbo, so brief definition seems to be helpful:

8psk Turbo means standard 8psk modulation combined with the use of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_code"][I][U]FEC Turbo Code[/U][/ to improve Error Correction efficiency. Same goes for QPSK Turbo slogan. For Sat TV applications it was first implemented in Broadcom made chipsets, and then selected by DN to increase their sat broadcast capacity in economical way. Broadcom chipsets are not usually used in FTA STBs due to limited availability and higher cost, but they're widely used in 8psk add-on boards offered for several FTA STB models as upgrades. They're must have to watch clear 8psk Turbo channels, said to be not plentiful nowadays.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)