8PSK Module

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Actually, I've been getting quite a bit of use out of the circular sides of my QPH-031s recently (without going into specific detail on which satellite(s) ;), but I'm sure most here already know). The QPH is the perfect companion for a motorized dish, I just wish they weren't so expensive.

I went ghetto with the 2 LNB setup due to the price and the weight :)

Photoman , you are the man, now I need the turbo coded 8PSK board just in case they apply Anole's FTE lol. Well I actually need another receiver as the Coolsat 8100HD does not have yet such a board, not to my knowledge at least.

Zamar23, What are you implying? that the regime will be in place forever? I do not think so. No hay mal que dure 100 años ni cuerpo que lo resista it says but it unfortunaelly has lasted 50 at least. And yes you made a good point, Castro stood and fought the previous regime and most of us, if not almost all, all we have done is leave the country. It is so easy for me to write all this from an anonymous forum, cowardy would probably be a better word. But who cares I already left, or I am about to leave or who knows what reason a typical cuban would say , me included. the subject is very complex as it is the possible solution to the problem. but yes every problem has a solution. If there is a will there is a way. Back to the 8PSK topic.

Is there a way to search The List for channels on 8PSK transponders?. I am doing it manually now but such a search capability would be nice to have now.

hd man

It was widely reported that Coolsat brand receivers are no longer "supported", and new product development for the brand has ended. It also led to the collapse of some clone brands, dependent on Coolsat design updates and "support". This means, there is no longer a customer to order development of "3-d party" 8psk boards and software for the receivers, unless someone else will buy the brand. That's why people were able to buy these nice boxes for $20 or so off EBay. I'm sure you know that.

Last edited:
HD man , after reading this whole thread I realize that you have been speaking of the Uruguayan Mux on Hispasat , I'm not very familiar with it nor does my Coolsat 5K pick it up via blindscan .
Do tell , how did you find it and what are the details Freq ? Pol ? SR ? , any other channels on 30.o west testing or what not are appreciated., if you can't discuss here please PM .
BTW Cuba has a new channel for feeds w/ occasional video (MESA Redonda Intl.)

Just saw the listing on Lyngsat and Sorry Yes I did go off topic a little , another thread isn't necessary I will PM HDman , FYI talking about Cuba and Castro is also OFF-TOPIC but I don't oppose the discussion within the thread , again sorry that my reply bothers you so much that you feel the need to police and moderate this thread.

yes I knew that Zamar23, thanks. The box is intended for an Uruguayan Family I know , but I had to make sure it worked first before recomending and installing everything.

Back on 8PSK. It is my understanding that TP 5 on Nimiq 4 82W is using since yesterday 8PSK to broadcast 4 out 6 of the new HD channels that Bell TV has just added. My 9242 Bell receiver picks them up no problem and shows lower signal quality than the rest of the TP , just 3 or 4 pints lower though. Since yesterday I have been triying to at least to lock to this lonely 8PSK TP on 82W with no luck. I just realized today that yesterday they added those to the lineup so they are obviously scrambled with Nagravison 3 now (I was hoping they were still testing in the clear so I could compare picture quality). My problem is that I have tried several different combinations of the parameters of the Manual Scan for that TP with no luck at all. I wonder what am I doing wrong , at least the Coolsat 8100HD should lock to the signal but nothing!. Heck the signal on Hispasat locked rather easy and that Dish was installed Amateurishly by me not a Bell Tech. Does anyone know the exact parameters to use?.

I think I will have to re-read the Forum rules just in case. To be honest I hardly ever read them as usually my own set of rules are even more restrictive , and we know who to blame for that , do we? lol.

May be you can't lock to 82W new HD channels (assuming they're initially in clear for testing) because that signal is 8psk Turbo modulated? Keep also in mind, some tuner chipsets are far from their advertised specs in tuning to S2 signals. Some FTA equipment manufacturers dropped using some popular low cost chipset models because of that. Did you notice, FTA Receiver and Card makers almost NEVER disclose what tuner, demodulator and decoder chips they use - figure out why... This is one of critical points in receiver selection that will determine its every day performance, which is purposely omitted from most specs, unless they're really good. Its similar to hiding motherboard model and specs in major brand PCs, as the MDs used are often obsolete compare to DIY current models for 2 reasons - to cut costs and limit your upgrade options forcing to buy a new PC sooner. More, try to contact any FTA brand tech support to find out the tuner chipset model - they won't tell! Even latest and greatest AZBox support...In fact, such disclosure can kill any receiver sales, if the chipset used is known to not lock much...if anything, or be too sensitive to voltage variations, etc. So, people buy a receiver being unaware of that, and then keep posting in forums, it can't lock most S2 and 8psk signals.

I start thinking, for that reason FTA STB makers avoid showing signal type in channel info, despite locked signal types are obviously known to the receiver. The shortcomings would be too evident and easily help to return the receivers, if they do. Usually STB makers wait for several chipset revisions to pass by until start using it, but often it doesn't help. Still price is the make-or-break factor in choosing a chipset - its extra profit consumer never knows about.

Last edited:
That was exactly what I was thinking today as a last resort. I also posted the question on the 8PSK thread I started weeks ago at the Bell technical forum. They have not replyed since the begining , wil see if they reply now. Naive me , I know. 82W was easier for me this rainy days as I am a current subscriber, all I have to do is disconnect and re-connect to 1 port of the 82 output. I have searched more of this signals over at lyngsat and maybe tomorrow will have the time to set up a dish in the patio and lock to some of those. The hobby was dying with QPSK , 8PSK has given it a new life. Will see how long it last lol.

On this official page DN explains that 8psk Turbo delivers subscribers of TurboHD packages advantage of better pic quality due to higher data rates and faster signal processing. I guess its also makes pirating more expensive, which is a good thing.

BEV is also moving full speed to TurboHD with their receivers swap, according to this Canadian discussion. I guess, you're out of lack on this with Coolsat 8100. As a side effect, DN can no longer claim any 8psk turbo receiver is made only to steal DN signal.

Last edited:
All I was hoping was for them to still be testing ITC that TP 05 now that I have this Coolsat 8100HD these days. I am compiling a list of 8PSK on Ku transponders on birds from 15W all the way to 129W which is my LOS. I will see what else I can lock to this weekend if I have the time.

Thanks for all the responses, BTW.

I'd check 82 for you, but I'm outside the Nimiq 4 footprint here in Northern California. No signals showing on the Broadlogic Spectrum Analyzer.

Well as per Lyngsat on Ku Band other than the Uruguayan mux on Hispasat 30W , there is only the Florida Channel/Network on 87W using also DVB-S2 8PSK but MPEG2. I set up a fixed Dish today after trying with 2 motorised I set up for friends a while ago and still nothing. The fixed Dish gets everything on 87W but no sign at all of the 8PSK channels. I have tried with the Pilot on or OFF. Maybe on late aft/evening on Sundays they do not broadcast anything so I will try tomorrow after work. I do no think it is related to low signal levels as a peaked the dish with the birdog and I get 80% on the V and 35% on the Hor with over 75 dBmicroV for both. C/N levels are over 12 for V and almost 10 for the H. On top of that the Coolsat 8100 scale shows more than 95% for all the TP it gets. I am using an 80 cm 33" Dish for this.

Those 8PSK signals are elusive compared with the regular QPSK but should not be that elusive specially with such high QPSK signals levels in this case.

Anyone have any idea if those Florida Netw/Channels still work. Their website has the same info as per Lyngsat.

Could you describe in detail, how do you try to lock in DVB-S2 8psk channels with Coolsat 8100? As I understand, it doesn't have a DVB-S2 Blind Scan feature.

i use the manual scan feature and the parameters that lyngsat lists. you can also add that tp to the tp list for the particular sat and then use auto scan. lyngsat does not list wether pilot should be off or on so that one is trial and error.

I've seen posts that Pilot should be ON for that channel, but its very weak to receive in Canada. Check the sat coverage map for that. Contact their Engineering Dept. for advice, they suggest it on the website. Also, read this detail thread about Coolsat 8100.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts