8PSK Module

Status
Please reply by conversation.
this is my last night post that I could not send.

you do not need to upgrade anything on the sat nor sat operators requiere to send new ones unless for instance suddenly the sat has lost power on several TP's that you were planning to use for DVB-S2 therefore EIRP levels are suddenly low to the point that the use of 8PSK would not be adecuate. 8PSK requiere better signal levels at the receiving antenna than QPSK does, in that case as a SAT operator you would have to make a decision or tell your potential customer that that communication channel is no longer recommended for that particular aplication or signal.

As a matter of fact if you read several technical dossiers of specifications or brochures about several SAT's up there you will notice that SAT operators treats them as a comunication channel compossed of several TP's that could even have different bandwith on the same SAT. (For instance , Hispasat 1C has all TP's with a capacity of 36 Mhz , and all Ku band however Hispasat 1D eventhough all of them are also Ku they have different bandwith ranging from 24 MHZ up to 72 Mhz.)

My point is even for SAT operators in their technical documents they do not specify whether their bird is designed or suitable for a particular type of modulation or not as every TP do not care about the signal. They only list the parameters that as a potential customer you need, EIRP levels or coverage map or footprint, uplink and downlink frecuency, type of polarisation used (note that to save bandwith the same TP could be active on both polarisations and that is why they invented the use of polarisation), last but not least TP bandwith but not wether is analog or digital or mudaltion squeme or else similar. Think of it as a coaxial cable that goes from earth up there and comes back , it is and will always be a comunication line or channel and nothing more. the bandwith of the TP determines what you can fit inside and how much.

Of course do not expect a TP on a particular bird that only has 24 Mhz bandwith to be able to handle a QPSK mux at 27500 SR like the TVE has for instance on Hispasat 1C. Does that means that that TP can not handle QPSK , no it does not.

On the subject 8PSK signals not being recognized properly by a receiver due to 8PSK symbols being too close or better yet to exploit this to make it backwards compatible, the QPSK receiver would not be able to decode the original digital info properly as is missing 1/3 of the original digital info. On QPSK you have 4 symbols (1 on each cuadrant) in the constellation , on 8PSK you have 2 symbols on each cuadrant therefore a total of 8 symbols. that is why by only using 8PSK the operator optimizes the bandwith in 33 % since with 4 symbol (QPSK) you only have 4 choices of info (00, 01,10,11) but with 8 symbols (8PSK) you have (000,001,010,011,100,101,110 and 111) so instead of sending 2 bits per symbol using QPSK, with 8PSK you send 3 bits per symbol therefore an increase of 1/3 or 33%. Therefore if the TP bandwith is 36 MHz you can use 27500 symbols per second and then the total bitrate is 3 x 27500, but FEC will limit the actual data rate for your aplication to less than that, the bitrate for a 8PSK signal would be 3 x SR x FEC. In real life actual FEC used and other factors will decrease this 33% number since you are using bandwith for the error correction bits or overhead.

As per that article they call it hierarchical modulation and it means that the original info is modulated in 2 ways imagine putting a letter in 2 envelopes 1 inside the other and the end user is only able to see 1 envelope or both depending on their eyesight. In Europe DVB-T (we use ATSC in america for digital terrestrial) uses hirearchical moldulation and it is actually sending 2 pices of info either 0000 for the HDTV picture at a higher bitrate and 00 at a lower bitrate for the receiver in poor reception conditions for the SD version of the same picture. Their digital OTA system therefore could implement mobile TV and perform better in poor reception conditions , our FCC mandated ATSC can not. In other words you are sending 2 services , 1 in HD for a receiver in good reception conditions and the SD version for a poor reception receiver and this decision is made by the broadcaster if they feel they want mobile users to watch their TV channel in SD at least. But that do not means that right now you will receive DN turbo 8psk HD channel with a regular QPSK receiver specially when DN is probably not implementing this requiered narrow spacing between 8PSK symbols (the narrower the spacing the higher the probability of errors and therefore bigger Dishes or more EIRP is requiered . DN would also have to map hirearchically the symbols accordingly to obtain this. At the end there is a compromise on the service therefore for DN it would be better to use strictly 8PSK and forget about QPSK receivers. The problem might be that right now some TP's are lower powered on the satellite and maybe that is why DN is using QPSK on those HD signals (remember the begining of this post) , who knows , I am just speculating .

hd fan

Thanks. You probably spent good part of the last night working on it only to find out the topic being closed right before posting. Very interesting read. Since you mentioned that 8psk requires better signal levels at the receiving antenna (i.e. bigger dish) than QPSK - is it always the case? F.e., why Aniq F3 clear channel signals transmitted in QPSK are much weaker than its neighboring Echo 7 clear signals? Some say, its the same sat - is it? How would you compare signal levels of a typical in NA DVB-S2 8psk signal and QPSK signal level of Aniq F3 from required Dish size standpoint?

The point is for receiving signals with high modulation schemes and/or high FEC you'll need better SNR, not just signal level. That's quintessence of the requirement.
Using bigger dish you could cut interference from adjusted sats and gain better signal - that would increase SNR.

an MPSK type modulation squeme where M is an integer power of 2 (2 for BPSK, 4 for QPSK, 8PSK , 16PSK and so on ) will have the symbols on the constellation closer even more therefore it would be more difficult for the reciver to decode this info properly without errors at the same C/N levels ( I rather use C/N as in this modulation technique it is only the carrier being phase shifted therefore the carrier level is always the same or it is irrelevant) . There are always errors of course that is why the use of some error correction technique (I beleive either Viterby or Reed Solomon are being used in this systems) to recover the original binary data. It is a fact that an 8PSK system requieres higher levels as Smith posted. That is probably why Bell TV waited for Nimiq 4 to be launched to implement this as in the west coast levels were not probably good enough. I am just speculating of course. So the answer is yes it is always the case.

I do not get your question exactly , apparently you are trying to compare mangoes with apples and for someone born in Cuba like me there is no comparison lol.

both birds are 2 different birds (telesat owns 1 and Dish Network the other one) , located at different orbital locations obviously. how do you know they have both different levels? Have you found any power related info on the net (I did a search now and could not come up with anything usefull and even searched the manufacturers web data) Are you using a 1 lnb dish repointed as needed to compare , using the same equipment. Or something else? All this is only useful for the broadcast engineers from each sat operator and tv providers , regular users like us just have to follow the footprints and EIRP levels maps to select the proper dish size. If an operator decides to use 8PSK it has being tested previously and of course it will work. For instance , I have not been able to lock and watch the Uruguayan mux on Hispasat (8PSK and MPEG4) and it even shares TP 80 with some other smaller muxes and TV channels and I would assume it works and works ok. I have no capable receiver for this, not yet.

All we need to know is the type of signal being broadcasted , coverage area , EIRP levels and time to install the dish and point. Technology evolves (at least outside of Cuba lol) therefore this hobby will requiere to upgrade equipment very often to stay updated.

and now let me see if with a temp 33' dish I can get Hispasat tonight , there is a new wild feed named COI-Havana-Cuba (COI stands for International Operations Center) on the Cuban Mux that most of the time has the color bars and high pitch sound but last night was used for a reporter to report live from Havana for TeleSur network's night news show obviously most of the talk was communist related , so do not listen to it for too long , they might persuade you , lol.

BTW any good 8PSK and MPEG4 capable receiver outhere to watch this free Uruguayan channels on Hispasat? I beleive Viewsat MAXHD and the Coolsat 8100 only do MPEG4 on the ATSC tuner but I have not been able to confirm it yet. the fact that they do not explicitly state it on their websites makes me beleive that those machines would not be good for that mux.

Well, its a common knowledge that Aniq F3 transmits a much weaker signal requiring larger dish. BTW, why is that? You say, its signal is still stronger than Uruguayan mux you mentioned or any other 8psk signal for that matter - I can't comment on that. I love bananas, but mangos aren't that bad either, so its a win-win choice. Good lack with catching Fidel's speech! Before he used two hands at times to make a point - I loved to watch it, but now may be some changes are on the horizon...

I beleive Viewsat MAXHD and the Coolsat 8100 only do MPEG4 on the ATSC tuner but I have not been able to confirm it yet
My Coolsat 8000 and my Pansat 9200 both do MPEG4 on satellite and the 8100 is basically an 8000 with a PVR so I'm sure it'll do it too. Can't comment on the Viewsat since I don't have one of those. :)

thanks eurosport.

zamar I do not have a receiver capable of 8PSK therefore I can not even see the signal levels even if I wanted. I do not even know how strong the uruguayan mux might be for that matter. I was just comenting that 8PSK requieres better levels

I finally set up the 33" dish for Hispasat , as per the birddog there is 44-45% Q and 10.9 dB C/N at the LNB (NF 0.3) for the V and 31-32 % Q with some errors after Error Correction (q 90% and more) for the H. I am just testing how that Dish will perform under the rain this weekend or hopefully tomorrow. It is for a friend. BTW the TVE mux is testing new versions of the same channels it had , coincidentally the ones that are already scrambled. I guess they will change the encryption method probably. I see no other reason to call them TVEA1 NEW for instance.

thanks jdbob. I will definetely buy one of those 2 but have not decided yet which one. I have been using Coolsat 6000 and thet fact that works flawlessly with the Stab motor moves the balance towards Coolsat for me. will see.

it is funny but viewsat usa website says Fully MPEG 2 and DVB-S2 compatible. It does not mention MPEG4 and DVB-S2 and the Uruguayan mux is both , MPEG4 and DVB-S2. will see. Coolsat website does not make it clear either, at least not for me.

thanks to both posters for clarifiying.

I've tried to get DVB-S2 on the Viewsat without luck, I'm pretty sure it requires a plug-in board. FTV HD is MPEG4 and DVB-S, which seems like an unusual combination.

I got the Coolsat 8100HD this morning. Scanning the skyes with the Stab motor now at the house of a friend. But for the life of me I can not get the box to add the channels. Swithed from SID to Network on Sort and nothing. I do not see how I can select a single SAT with just the press of a button neither.

It acctually added channels, like KTEL and the G18 at 123 but trying now at 97 W to see FTV and nothing. Although I beleive FTV HD is now Viaccess right?. After scanning on auto mode it finds more than 100 channels but when I press the EPG key it only shows the previous 2 scanned SATS. It does not add the new channels and of course I pressed Yes to the Save question. What am I doing wrong?

Also when scaning it does not seem to have blind scan capabilities not even on the QPSK regular tuner. Also my Coolsat 6000 before scanning it moves the Dish right away , wait for almost a minute then it starts , this one waits but it does not moves the Dish right away so it finally starts a bit before arriving to the USALS position.

Other than that so far I like the box will test the ATSC tuner tomorrow at home.

jdbob you might have to try to play with the pilot setting. the pilot is requiered for sinchronization I beleive and some type of signals might require it. I might be wrong though.

holly smokes!!!! I was acctually selecting NO instead of YES . It finally works as intended!. BTW FTV HD is scrambled with Viaccess but who cares I do not even have a girlfriend right now and If I had her Do you think I was going to be watching TV, lol. Now off to 30 W to try the MPEG4 and DVB-S2 Uruguayan Mux.

Finally !!!. It works and beautifully. Full MPEG4 and DVB-S2 MPEG4 compliance. Just what I wanted. Hurra!. It was difficult to switch channels from FasionTV HD though! lol. The receiver is a used one and obviously have the Viaccess keys on it or maybe that show was in the clear although I doubt it because I beleive it was showing the $ sign but I am not sure now. It does not descramble the Nagravision 1 TVE channels on Hispasat so I do not think a pirate had hacked the soft. I will review that later.

And yes, confirmed, indeed you requiere higher signals levels or better SNR to lock to a DVB-S2 signal. This motorised 90 cm Dish has no problems with the other TP on this Hispasat bird but with the Uruguayan mux it pixelates a lot , so I have tu slightly bump the dish a bit and it locks the carrier perfectly although on the Coolsat scale signal levels are close to 70 for this 8PSK mux which is close to the minimum. Too bad even the new Birdog Ver 4 do not handle 8PSK to test levels and C/N. I beleive the SAT Buddy tester does but it is too expensive for me. I will try at home with a fixed smaller 33" dish that I have on this bird that has better levels on the vertical TP's .

The amazing thing is that they are only using 7200 SR (theoretically that means 7.2 Mhz in bandwith slightly bigger than a 6 Mhz ATSC channel) and yet the mux has like 6 TV channels and a few radio I think. Not only that , the same TP#80, is also using QPSK for the rest of the tv channels on the same TP (their carriers with different frecuencies obviously but it is the same TP that in that bird could have from 27 to 72 Mhz bandwith, Hispasat web details that info) Theoretically it is estimated that by using this combination , 8PSK and MPEG4 they can maximize the bandwith in 50%n and indeed they do. 8PSK by itself optimizes it in 33% maximum. the funny thing is that the receiver recognizes this channels as 1080i but it could be because it is constantly loosing the lock and pixelating heavily so it switches back and forth between 480i and 1080i. Will see in my house, I do not think those Uruguayan channels are HD yet, let along 6 of them with 7200 SR. I would rather have a passthrough capability on this box though. Lets see how it looks via HDMI on my home's 40" 71 series Samsung.

So to the original poster , for 8PSK signals , make sure you have a properly aligned Dish with good SNR levels at the receiver (low losses along the path from LNB to receiver and the use of low N.F equipment). Make sure your receiver is 8PSK capable and remember those 8PSK modules are actually using turbo FEC which optimizes the amount of bits dedicated for the error correction that for now at least for now only DN uses. Although theoretically a turbo FEC receiver or module should also be able to retreive non turbo FEC signals. I wonder if in the future other providers or TV stations will also use turbo FEC which BTW was invented in France so it is not DN propietary technology, thankfully, lol.

hd fan

Thanks for the update. I didn't get it: it sounds like your Coolsat 8100HD has an upgrade 8psk Turbo board? Or its just a comment?

As to Turbo 8psk, Broadcom makes a series of sat receiver chipsets supporting 8psk Turbo. I assume they approached DN at some point to offer using them in DN receivers, demonstrated advantages, and DN was sold on it. They're more expensive though than sat chipsets from other manufacturers. But there're several other consumer products that use them, and I assume, a number of "non-consumer". Nothing in these chipsets or 8psk Turbo modulation is proprietory or specific to DN. Broadcom may have added this capability to its chipsets due to demand from its NA customers. But is can be military, as an example, who requested it, and not necessarily a Pay TV Broadcaster.

Last edited:
Finally !!!. It works and beautifully. Full MPEG4 and DVB-S2 MPEG4 compliance. Just what I wanted. Hurra!. It was difficult to switch channels from FasionTV HD though! lol. The receiver is a used one and obviously have the Viaccess keys on it or maybe that show was in the clear although I doubt it because I beleive it was showing the $ sign but I am not sure now. It does not descramble the Nagravision 1 TVE channels on Hispasat so I do not think a pirate had hacked the soft. I will review that later.
Those $ things don't necessarily mean the channel is scrambled. I see those appear in a lot of channels that are actually FTA. I think it just comes from one bit being set in the stream making the receiver THINK that it might be scrambled. It was NOT encrypted about a week or 2 ago, when I tuned to that channel.

BTW, I mentioned in another thread, that that FTV signal locked up my Diamond 9000, so that I had to wipe out the channels to get it running again. Well it turns out it didn't have anything to do with the FTV signal. It is apparently a bug in my pirate crippled Diamond. Apparently, if I have scanned in channels, and hit the "play" button immediately, it will play that channel, but it can never again leave that channel. If, on the other hand, I exit out of the scan menu, and play it, then everything is OK. Perhaps my firmware got scrambled.

Adding to the same soup, I've read some posts, when a person bought a receiver on EBay with 3-d party firmware installed, and was surprised to see in clear some channels depicting $ sign. Similar problem... I think it goes like this because encryption version (not type) is not shown in Channel Info in the receiver.

BTW, anyone seen a description of a term: "Blind Scan (Smart Scan) Circuit". I kind of understand, its about doing Blind Scan in hardware, but are there actually boards in sat receivers that do it using a special Circuit? Any proof & description of such board that mentions such a circuit design? Or all of them do it via firmware?

Last edited:
I just looked at that channel with TSREADER. It's not encrypted, however it does have CA data associated with that channel. So apparently it's the CA data that makes receivers think that it's encrypted.

I just looked at that channel with TSREADER. It's not encrypted, however it does have CA data associated with that channel. So apparently it's the CA data that makes receivers think that it's encrypted.

BJ, what is CA Data?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)