99.1 CM HughesNet Find - Need Help Modding

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Natedawg63

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 19, 2009
Alabama
I have in my possession a HughesNet 39" fiberglass Ku dish that I want to motorize and put on my roof for multi-sat scanning. Please let me know if it is worth modding. I esp. need a new backplate as the stock one has the stationary pole bracket, I need one I can use u-bolts on 2 5/8" peak-roof mount pole.

Pics enclosed

Nate

Attachments

• IMG_1830.JPG
    IMG_1830.JPG
    499 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_1836.JPG
    IMG_1836.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 199
  • IMG_1834.JPG
    IMG_1834.JPG
    853.6 KB · Views: 198

crackt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 24, 2007
101w up north.
search the forums for combinations of "primestar", "channelmaster", "h h", "motorized", "polar mount" . you will find its been done and documented many times. any of the ideas involving 1.2m and smaller dishes will give you some good ideas on how to get it done. there are more than a few approaches you can take. happy modding.

crackt out,.

Natedawg63

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 19, 2009
Alabama
Prodelin or ChannelMaster?

What are the guesses as to whom manuf this fiber-enforced HughesNet labeled dish... Prodelin or ChannelMaster? Looks to me like a CM, though I am pretty sure the feedhorn/LNB assembly part number is a Prodelin. The dish is pretty heavy... gotta pick it up and weigh myself on a scale to get a good idea. Don't have scales, gotta borrow my friends across the street. Assume it is rated as a .98m or a 1.0m

Nate

Attachments

• IMG_1838.JPG
    IMG_1838.JPG
    999.8 KB · Views: 199

Pixl

Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
Traverse City, Michigan
That lnb will work as is if you want to play with it. Almost certainly one of the lnb made in Japan, good stuff, but only one polarity. Try aiming it at something as is, see what you can get. Use 10750 for your lnb setting. Then think about subbing a better LNB.

Jim

Natedawg63

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 19, 2009
Alabama
I weighed the dish with one back bracket on and it is 25#... I am gonna guess 30# by the time I adapt a few brackets and put on a LNB. What is the best current or older brand diseqc motor that can handle 30# on a roof mount? Or am I better off getting a H-H motor with it on the roof?

Nate

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
Nate, lose all the extra weight you can, make your brackets out of something light , and most of the H-H motors should handle it. ( H-H motor IS a diseqc motor in most cases) I pity you on the roof though , hard to tweak one on a roof, dragging up a little tv, extension cords , etc. Put it on the ground on a pole, if you can, much easier to work on. I put mine on a DG380 motor from Sadoun, pole in the backyard, and haven't needed to adjust it since I first set it up, about 18months back. It's a 90cm primestar, and I think it was around 23lbs without the heavy mount it came with.

Natedawg63

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 19, 2009
Alabama
I am trying to avoid cutting down a rather large Oak that is on my SW side of my property. That and having yard dogs that may find it funny to climb/chew/otherwise destroy the dish. Yea, roof is a pain, but I think it is my safest bet. I can avoid crawling under the house also... I can snake the RG6 through my gable vent and I already have a hole above my entertainment wall for a Cat5 Ethernet cable. Thanks for the advice... I am using the polar mount from a DN TurboDish system for modding onto the back of DW dish for Diseqc motor mounting.

Cheers...
Nate

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)