A Couple Of Installation/LOS Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Jay,
I'm thinking the 1st picture would do the trick.

That said, the other guys are official installers.

Did you call and schedule them to come out ?

Jay,
I'm thinking the 1st picture would do the trick.

That said, the other guys are official installers.

Did you call and schedule them to come out ?

I ordered online Sunday night and got the Thursday time slot, so I will know for sure tomorrow! Figures it's going to rain tomorrow. Between rain, borderline line of sight, and most likely a pole mount, I'm going to have to do some big time schmoozing!

I ordered online Sunday night and got the Thursday time slot, so I will know for sure tomorrow! Figures it's going to rain tomorrow. Between rain, borderline line of sight, and most likely a pole mount, I'm going to have to do some big time schmoozing!

You would rather have a pole mount vs the roof, this way if you have snow and ice you can walk out and dust of the dish and your back in business, vs potentially not having access to the dish and lose service till the ice thaws.

My Dad at one time had dish on the roof and went about 5 days with no service due to not being able to get on the roof.

Pole mount pricing is tough to quote as every hsp has different rules and certain techs make up their own rules. A general rule of thumb is 75 to start and 1 $/ft for each line with 15' included. Measure up to where your existing cable box is outside the house. Certain hsps say free if you can't get Los from the roof. But keep in mind you don't have a "full" Los including the 5deg buffer even from a pole. So the tech can charge you whatever he wants really. Since dtv corporate would say "were sorry you have no line of sight." How many tvs were you getting hooked up again? What I would personally charge you in a fee is the amount I would be paid by my hsp to complete your job. That way if I were back charged I don't lose the money entirely. I also warranty jobs like yours personally for 90days. If something goes wrong call me I'll come fix it free. Within 90days ofc.

So the wife axed the whole deal today. The installer was willing to do the job, but I guess my wife didn't understand that when I said a pole mount installation, I meant it literally. She did not want a 6 foot pole in our front yard with a dish on top of it. Not sure where to go from here. She was under the impression that it would be much lower to the ground and more easily could be hidden with bushes behind it. She believes she's seen dishes that are much lower to the ground...in her words, "just 2-3 feet off the ground." Does such an install exist? If it doesn't it looks like we'll either have to stay with Insight cable as it becomes the awful Time Warner here, or we'd go with E* since we could do a roof install with eastern arc. Anyone have any input?

So the wife axed the whole deal today. The installer was willing to do the job, but I guess my wife didn't understand that when I said a pole mount installation, I meant it literally. She did not want a 6 foot pole in our front yard with a dish on top of it. Not sure where to go from here. She was under the impression that it would be much lower to the ground and more easily could be hidden with bushes behind it. She believes she's seen dishes that are much lower to the ground...in her words, "just 2-3 feet off the ground." Does such an install exist? If it doesn't it looks like we'll either have to stay with Insight cable as it becomes the awful Time Warner here, or we'd go with E* since we could do a roof install with eastern arc. Anyone have any input?

IF the proposed dish can be moved backwards along the same line it must be pointed you can have it almost below ground. In house DirecTv installers may not be allowed to do the work but it would work. Also there are fiberglass boulders / shells big enough to hide a dish. I know they worked for SD installations but don't know about the KA ? HD signal.

There are reasons not to mount a dish low to the ground. You probably will not be offered the protection plan so you will need to learn to point a dish. You will need to shovel Ohio snow off the dish. Stuff like that.

Joe

Like Joe said only in house can do it lower. Depth on the pole is what's important, not the height of the dish. As long as the pole has enough depth to stay solid in all weather conditions you'll be fine but when Joe said it'll need moved back its because you're losing some height the clear the trees but yes to answer your question, it is a possibility. Now hopefully you can talk your wife back in to it and can get a 2nd installer willing to do the job :)

Like Joe said only in house can do it lower. Depth on the pole is what's important, not the height of the dish. As long as the pole has enough depth to stay solid in all weather conditions you'll be fine but when Joe said it'll need moved back its because you're losing some height the clear the trees but yes to answer your question, it is a possibility. Now hopefully you can talk your wife back in to it and can get a 2nd installer willing to do the job :)

First, you're saying that it has to be an in-house installer who does it, but Joe said in-house doesn't do it? How do I go about this? I assume now I'll have to re-order, after I do do I call directv themselves and tell them exactly what I need? What do I ask for? What would they use?

First, you're saying that it has to be an in-house installer who does it, but Joe said in-house doesn't do it? How do I go about this? I assume now I'll have to re-order, after I do do I call directv themselves and tell them exactly what I need? What do I ask for? What would they use?

Sorry, I worded it wrong. I meant an in house tech could still do it vs a contractor. Since you just canceled you should be able to call in and have the same work order reopened without a whole lot of issues. Just let them know a pole mount is required. All our poles are the same but whenever I get a customer that wants it closer to the ground I just dig my hole as normal and then cut the pole down where the customer wants it. I carry a sawsall. I would think any decent installer would carry one with them

Pole mount pricing is tough to quote as every hsp has different rules and certain techs make up their own rules. A general rule of thumb is 75 to start and 1 $/ft for each line with 15' included. Measure up to where your existing cable box is outside the house. Certain hsps say free if you can't get Los from the roof. But keep in mind you don't have a "full" Los including the 5deg buffer even from a pole. So the tech can charge you whatever he wants really. Since dtv corporate would say "were sorry you have no line of sight." How many tvs were you getting hooked up again? What I would personally charge you in a fee is the amount I would be paid by my hsp to complete your job. That way if I were back charged I don't lose the money entirely. I also warranty jobs like yours personally for 90days. If something goes wrong call me I'll come fix it free. Within 90days ofc.

So, your saying that the employer doesn't have a set rate that they charge for each item ?

That would be like me telling a sub that the Company charges $125 for a jack installed, but when I get out there, I'll change the price to whatever I would like ... (maybe she's cute, freebie .... sub PITA $250.)

Never heard of such a thing, how does the company make any money when the installer is free to change the pricing whenever he saees fit ?

Also, arent you guys on a schedule, how do you just stop and go back to a sub from a previous day ?

IF the proposed dish can be moved backwards along the same line it must be pointed you can have it almost below ground. In house DirecTv installers may not be allowed to do the work but it would work. Also there are fiberglass boulders / shells big enough to hide a dish. I know they worked for SD installations but don't know about the KA ? HD signal.

There are reasons not to mount a dish low to the ground. You probably will not be offered the protection plan so you will need to learn to point a dish. You will need to shovel Ohio snow off the dish. Stuff like that.

Joe

At least he can get to the dish if it's not on the roof.

So, your saying that the employer doesn't have a set rate that they charge for each item ?

That would be like me telling a sub that the Company charges $125 for a jack installed, but when I get out there, I'll change the price to whatever I would like ... (maybe she's cute, freebie .... sub PITA $250.)

Never heard of such a thing, how does the company make any money when the installer is free to change the pricing whenever he saees fit ?

Also, arent you guys on a schedule, how do you just stop and go back to a sub from a previous day ?

If a customer calls me I set up a time either after work or the next day or two to get back out there. We don't get charge backs but I feel like if I did something wrong I should fix it so that's how we get back to a customer. As for the pricing. I've never charged but 1 person the $75 for a pole mount, I'd rather do them than a roof mount so that's one way we change prices. As for other things. We can't charge more but it's our call if we charge full price or not on custom charges. I'm not sure how kitty's DMA operates but that's how ours works

Jimbo,
Now you are getting the feel for what has been going on. There was a time when almost all installations were done by independent contractors, sometimes antenna installation companies or other related trades. During this early period DirecTv paid for compleated installations The contractors were free to charge whatever they wanted to bid on anything DirecTv didn't provide. Now Directv is doing the installations as an employer and controling the actions of their employees. So there are specifications to be observed. I think, DirecTv would rather loose a customer rather than install a job that will always be a problem for the customer and DirecTv. They view the installation as an overhead cost to be paid before profits..........too much overhead.......no profits.

There is more to it than that. No it doesn;t make sense.

Joe

Bad news, directv requires a 10 degree window from all sides of the satellites. Without that window for tree movement and growth an installer is going to NLOS it unless they don't care. If it doesn't have that window it's considered a failed install and goes against the tech

Are you sure it's 10 degrees and not 5?
10 degrees for a minimum window is excessive.

Is it Directv that requires the 10° window or the local hsp?

So that's in all directions, from 89° to 113° has to be clear for an SL3?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts