A couple of newbie questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

marcreichman

Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
Hi,

I've searched a bit but haven't found what I'm looking for specifically so I'm posting some questions. I apologize if these are FAQs that I just missed, and if so please point me to them.

I work on software that processes audio/video feeds and we focus on news programming, that we receive over satellite. We do some DTV, some dish, some FTA. We have software that automatically changes channels using the Global Cache GC-100-* devices over IR, which while not entirely satisfying to me, does the job. I have two questions:

1. Is there a good, reliable, pro quality FTA receiver (rackmount preferred) that's not going to crap out on me? We've used fortec star, SonicView SV4000, Pansat 150M, and these all start to crap out after a while of being on 24/7 (6-9 months or less). They run in a datacenter environment and are kept quite cool. I would love something that is reliable, with s-video/RCA audio out, and bonus points if it can be channel-changed over RS232 or USB instead of just IR or front panel.

2. Are there similar receivers that will work OK with modern dish/dtv? I don't need HD support, and right now we're using Dish 311s and Hughes SD-HBH receivers. These are reliable but again, I would love something rackmounted and more reliably channel changed.

Thanks!

-Marc

1. SatelliteAV has some FTA commercial rack mounted receivers
Satellite AV - Free to Air Satellite Equipment Distributors - GEOSATpro, Glorystar 888-483-4673

and are a sponsor here. I dont know if that is something you're looking for but give them a call or maybe Brian can comment on them

2. That I dont know. I assume Dish and Direct have commercial receivers for businesses. You might want to check with them

Thanks for getting back to me. Any idea on the non-IR channel changing?
I will contact dish/dtv. My first goal was on the FTA front.

I sent a PM to SatelliteAV to pop in here and help with the technical aspects of the commercial receivers since Brian would know more about how they work in that aspect.

From what I heard those rackmounted ones are workhorses. I know they installed a bunch of those in correctional facilities about a year for the Glorystar (religious) channels and those are on 24/7 too.

The GEOSATpro DSR-R100 series of rack mount receivers are designed to operate 24/7. These receivers are designed for MPEG2 unencrypted services. The unit changes channels by either front panel, IR remote or timer settings.

We also carry the Scientific Atlanta D9850 with many advanced features including remote functions via controller and RS-232. I am not an user of the SA D9850, but this may be the type of receiver that will meet your requirements for FTA and/or PowerVu reception.

Note: these receivers will not work with DirecTV or Dish Network programming. You would need to contact these providers directly to determine the appropriate equipment theat they may offer.

For DirecTV, some newer receivers can do serial over USB, using a common USB to serial adapter. Older ones have their own serial port, either a DE9-F or Home Control (4P4C telephone handset plug). For either pay provider you would need to contact them for comercial receivers. For Dishnetwork, it could be possible to get a commercial DVB receiver that accepts a CI card, and get a CI card from them. For FTA, you could use a DVB-PCI card in a PC.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts