A Note From Scott on New HD

Dish-HD-(Only) package includes Animania-HD which has HD animation 24/7 and Family-HD which has kid friendly programming in HD 24/7.

Yeah right, I think my kids watched a movie on Family about a year and a half ago. That animania is about the biggest joke there is of all the voom channels.

Speaking of Cartoon Network: some of adult swim will soon start original HD content. On his blog Jackson Publick, one of the creators of The Venture Brothers, said the new season is being animated in HD,

"I'm looking forward to being a full-time director and having my nights free for a while, but post-production will be starting up in about a month and a half, when we start seeing footage from Korea--screengrabs of which I'll undoubtedly post when the time comes. We've never edited HD footage before (did I mention The Venture Bros. is being made in HD this season?), so it should be interesting and full of unforseen technical dilemmas." (link)
Dunno if others are coming as well, but definately more HD movement than what is being shown on HD-iterations of the music networks.

One show does not constitute "HD movement".

PS The whole point of launching "HD channels" prior to having much HD content, is to reserve the space in the limited bandwidth of the providers.

I expect that at some point in the next year or two (summer 2009 would be my guess), more HD channels will be launched than can fit in the limited bandwidth of local cable providers.

Clearly ABC/ESPN/Disney, Discovery and NBC-Universal have figured this out and are using their clout to get spaces for their channels now.

Well, two shows that we know of... for every couple you hear about how many more are being done at the same time. Further, 2 is still 2 more than 0 (see: MTVHD, VH1HD, CMTHD, ...)

Further, 2 is still 2 more than 0 (see: MTVHD, VH1HD, CMTHD, ...)

It baffles me why there is no HD on MTV-HD, VH1-HD, and CMT-HD, when Dish's "MHD" channel is composed of HD programming from MTV, VH-1 and CMT ?

So, none of the MHD programming is shown on their own channels ? Makes no sense. (Which doesn't mean it isn't true! :D )

It baffles me why there is no HD on MTV-HD, VH1-HD, and CMT-HD, when Dish's "MHD" channel is composed of HD programming from MTV, VH-1 and CMT ?

So, none of the MHD programming is shown on their own channels ? Makes no sense. (Which doesn't mean it isn't true! :D )

MHD actually plays MUSIC--something that no longer exists on MTV, MTV2, VH1 or CMT. :(

(since its MTV we're talking about I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess its a one way ticket stretchville)

I read on AVS that MTV keeps it upconverted w/ black bars just like National Geographic. Viacom seems to be unafraid of black bars--look at CBS and Showtime.

Last edited:
It baffles me why there is no HD on MTV-HD, VH1-HD, and CMT-HD,

do they do it "right" and pillarbox it a la ESPN? or is its stretch-o-vision city like the idiot programmers insist on doing?

(since its MTV we're talking about I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess its a one way ticket stretchville)

If you have a Dish-1000, and want 61.5 also, there is no reason to replace your Dish-1000. The simplest way is to simply ad the 61.5 dish (with DishPro LNBF) and connect the 61.5 directly to the "LNB In" port on the Dish-1000 (after disconnecting the 129 LNBF). In fact, if your installer really wants to save $$, he can just re-use the 129 LNBF on the wing dish.

Eastern Arc is entirely different, because it supposedly will include more than one satellite slot (i.e. more than just 61.5), so the dish for that doesn't even exist yet.

So, feel free to add a 61.5 wing dish for the new HD locals, but not yet for Eastern Arc.

There's one problem with that. The Ohio RSNs are only carried on the the 129 in HD. So with that in mind, he would be better off having a DPP44 put in and adding the 61.5 wing dish.

do they do it "right" and pillarbox it a la ESPN? or is its stretch-o-vision city like the idiot programmers insist on doing?

They don't do stretch-o-vision. They show their stuff in 4:3 mode. So while there is no HD content, it does look a lot better than the SD channels.

You should see the HD cartoons on Disney. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and My Friends Tigger and Pooh look amazing! Even my wife stopped and said WOW!

Stores should put these shows on their HDTV displays.

I am not familiar with adult swim but I thought it is in HD on Cartoon HD along with some other shows, aren't they?

You should see the HD cartoons on Disney. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and My Friends Tigger and Pooh look amazing! Even my wife stopped and said WOW!

Stores should put these shows on their HDTV displays.

I work for Target and I work in the Electronics area...Target likes to only use their ads for more than likely fear of showing something wrong and offending the "guest". That is what we are supposed to call them "guests" instead of "customer" and Target has thought about using real HD programming but is just using their ads and replays them over and over and over...I just wish that when I was working I wouldn't have to hear the same ad over and over again on 17 different TVs.

Perhaps it is safe to say that the engineering sources have more validity than the retail sources???

With that being said, if I was a retailer, I would be a little frustrated because I would be telling people for example, "Yup, SciFi HD is coming this week." And then no SciFi HD.

Yes well today is April 10th, the day that will supposedly see new HD channels....well we will have to see what happens by this afternoon. I just hope for new HD...but after the last few times I am not holding my breath.

Yes well today is April 10th, the day that will supposedly see new HD channels....well we will have to see what happens by this afternoon. I just hope for new HD...but after the last few times I am not holding my breath.

Yes, do not hold ur breath or u will surely pass out!! We are Dish's puppet on a string! Scott take a whoopee cushion when u go to the Summit meet and greet! Find Charlie!! :mad: