AAD - Is Out of Business

I don't think it is too much of a waste of bandwidth to offer the same amount of distant network programming as they always have, just a few markets. In my personal opinion there is no valid technological reason why this has to be the end of distant network programming. The loss of ADD is the loss of distant network programming from what I am reading on here. I don't want to be calling in every time I am outside of my spot beam. I'm usually able to receive local programming with antenna if needed. With distant networks I may not live in a market but I like to be able to enjoy that markets local news and programming and the different schedules due to time differences. Sometimes a show I missed in the time zone I am in can be caught in the later time zone feed even if I missed recording it. I've always had distant networks on satellite. Satellite will not be satellite without this to me. I am very disappointed this will be going away. Do I have any influence over this situation? It appears not. whatchel1 this is what I should have said my apologies.
I really understand that point of view. But I think I understand where they are coming from too. I think they are looking the fact I would guess that AAD was likely less that say 2%(I think that is most likely over generous). That they had to put all the markets across the entire country one spots. So they want to recover the monies they spent on doing that. Then the small blip that is distances just isn't worth it to them. I remember the "good old days" of getting any net from anywhere myself. It was really great to be able to get an E time zone market and then if the timers didn't work out you could pick up the W feed. It was a good ride, but unfortunately it looks much like it is coming to an end. Maybe we will see them do it off 77° but if I were you I wouldn't hold my breathe.

I still think DISH will have RV Distants, but household Distants are most likely a thing of the past since virtually no one is eligible now with the new rule. It requires a different method to administer than for an RV (RV is quite simple) and DISH most likely does not want to go down that road again.

it doesnt make since, to me, I could take my rv to the dmv and get it approved. to get distant at my home, the wouldnt know where my receiver is at.

it doesnt make since(sense), to me, I could take my rv to the dmv and get it approved. to get distant at my home, the wouldnt know where my receiver is at.
No need to go to the DMV, you would just need to send a copy of your registration. Yes, they would care where your receiver is, but you wouldn't get Locals anymore. That is all predicated that Dish goes back into the DNS marketplace.

Size. :D

Seriously, I think the RV registration is just a handy way for distributors to verify you have one and deserve to get distant networks according to the law.

Actually, with an RV account, don't you get the locals where you call in you're at, and NOT DNS?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Any moving vehicle can be consider a rv, because cars now days are coming with satellite tv as an option. I think GM is the first to do that with their vehicles.

Any moving vehicle can be consider a rv, because cars now days are coming with satellite tv as an option. I think GM is the first to do that with their vehicles.

This is what I was thinking too. What type of registration do they want to see. I have a utility trailer that has a TV which is used for tailgating. Does that qualify as an "RV" in this case? Who knows.

You are rather passionate about this issue. What has your congressional rep told you about this matter ?

It's very, very simple. The verification process demands whatever your State issues for an RV registration. It does not, nor could it ever be based on what your vehicle is, the State decides that. If you can get your State to give you an RV registration for whatever your vehicle is, you can get DNS from a provider that gives it, which as of now is Direct TV, and only Direct TV. Dish could go back to giving it relatively easily as they did for awhile recently.

Difference in an Household or RV for Distants? Just go back and read what I and others have posted. Totally different rules because it is totally different circumstances. I see no way DISH will go back to Distants for households, based on their most recent actions, and what would be gained to what would be lost. I do think they might go back to it for RV's.

Last edited:
I do think they might go back to it for RV's.

Plausible, except why kill that market and then start it up all over again? The reason I think it's plausible is that some spots in larger markets (NY, LA) might not have the bandwidth for all locals in HD. These DMAs might benefit from going conus both for those markets, and to provide service to the RV/trucker market. Did the distants have to include all stations, or just the big 4?

Plausible, except why kill that market and then start it up all over again? The reason I think it's plausible is that some spots in larger markets (NY, LA) might not have the bandwidth for all locals in HD. These DMAs might benefit from going conus both for those markets, and to provide service to the RV/trucker market. Did the distants have to include all stations, or just the big 4?

Just the big 4

I just spoke with this representative at dish network Natalia Antione Vera (ID: A86), she informed me that Dish Network will be taking over the all american direct accounts. I am not sure how true is, but I am trying to find out more information. Never they are not according to person over the phone. Looks like dish must be losing customers, if got to lie to keep from moving to directv after this.

Last edited:
Rusty, I hope you're right, but I'm not holding my breath. Otherwise...I moved from Directv back in what? '97ish because they didn't have the Superstation Package. I had distants with them (NY-LA sd) and have had them with DISH for the most part since. If DISH doesn't take over the accounts I definitely feel a change in providers.

I just spoke with this representative at dish network Natalia Antione Vera (ID: A86), she informed me that Dish Network will be taking over the all american direct accounts. I am not sure how true is, but I am trying to find out more information. Never they are not according to person over the phone. Looks like dish must be losing customers, if got to lie to keep from moving to directv after this.
Haha ! Welcome to CSR Roulette ! Call back - the next one will probably tell you they're going to do distants.

I just checked with a few of my (unofficial) contacts and am told DISH has no plans to "take over" AAD accounts.

Guess we will find out in a week or so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts