AC3 Converter

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bubba108

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
la
Found this on Amazon while looking for a OTA converter. Looks good for AC3 audio.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Audio-Analog-Converter/dp/B0013LWK3A/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1249435571&sr=1-17"]Amazon.com: Digital Audio To Analog Audio Converter: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/11OgmZO3GOL.@@AMEPARAM@@11OgmZO3GOL[/ame]

The description doesn't say anything about AC3. It just says it's a digital to analog converter. That would make it just a DAC and not capable of decoding AC3. That fact that it only has stereo outputs would also support this as most AC3 decoders would have mutlichannel outputs. Also it would carry the Dolby D logo as Dolby D = AC3 and the ability to decode it requires licensing fees be paid to Dolby labs.

Apparently this model, Gefen model GTV-DD-2-AA, from the same company is the one that has AC-3 capabilities, not this one that the OP posted, as stated by 2 or more reviews on the Amazon website. Too expensive in my opinion.

Yes, it works very well on AC3.

Here's another place to buy it at a very reasonable price:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cyberhome-CH-SRD-600R-6-channel-Headphones/dp/B0006688ZC/ref=sr_1_98?ie=UTF8&m=A2ZEJ230H14EIK&s=generic&qid=1249446342&sr=1-98"]Amazon.com: Cyberhome CH-SRD 600R 6-channel Surround Headphones with Game Decoder: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21vY-obDBfL.@@AMEPARAM@@21vY-obDBfL[/ame]

Thanks. I ordered two via Amazon just now. Does not qualify for freebie shipping.
Still, this is about as good as it's ever been, and now I got some if I ever need one! - :up

Don't fall for the 1-¢ optical cable; it costs a bunch to ship it to you from a different vendor.

Thanks. I ordered two via Amazon just now. Does not qualify for freebie shipping.
Still, this is about as good as it's ever been, and now I got some if I ever need one! - :up

Don't fall for the 1-¢ optical cable; it costs a bunch to ship it to you from a different vendor.

Doesn't it come with a cheapie optical cable?

If you get two, that's a better deal by $0.73 than if you use Bing cashback with eBay bucks...

These Cyberhome "Sonic Voom" units work very well for decoding AC-3 (Dolby Digital) channels. Additionally, they will convert the uncompressed stereo PCM output from non-AC-3 channels into left and right analog. The unit does not require the included headphones for stereo operation; Instead, an IPOD-style 1/8" stereo to RCA cable may be used for connection to an amp or computer speakers for the front two channels (which are often the only ones used in the AC-3 stream).

Coolsat 5000-Sonic Voom problem

I just got my Sonic Voom today. I've tried running both the coaxial and optical lines (yes,I did take the little covers off) hit PBS and America One and This, and I"m still getting nothing. Is there a firmware update I need to do on the 5000 to make this work? Or is it a different audio PID? Or both? Or what?

Jim H. in Black Canyon City, AZ
bccphotec@yahoo.com

Yeah, it's version 1.0, so the update is needed. However, next problem; I got that receiver used, had no data cable with it. I got a USB to RS232 cable off ebay, but, as you know, the receiver is male, but so is the cable.
1. If I get a double female RS232 adapter, will this do the job?
2. Having never done an update on this receiver, what is the proper protocol? (i.e. when to power up or down, send file, etc.)

1. yes
2. setup is as such
a. hook up cable to receiver and computer
b. open the loader
c. open the software file
d. turn on the receiver
e. hit "connect"...computer will say "Version XXX found" (which is the current software in receiver)
f. press "ok"...it will download to receiver.
g. when its done, receiver will reboot

done :)

Thanks much for the info. One more quick question; this new firmware just expands the audio PID to 5 digits- I still have to more or less manually figure it out?

Wow, that will be too cool (sat). Now I just have to wait for that adapter to get here. BTW - I was born in St. Paul, grew up in White Bear Lake. I moved to AZ in '84.
I've been into BUD since '85. Actually did service and install back in the early '90's. Got into FTA back before I joined this group. For KU I have two old "data" dishes (75cm and 140 (!)cm), an old 4 ft. aluminum c band "ground sitter", and an oval Direcway. I have those pointed at AMC 21, AMC 4. G 19 and G 27, respectively. And of course, my 7.5 footer for c band.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts