ACC Network

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Support Forum' started by donva64, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Curtis0620

Curtis0620 SatelliteGuys Pro

The SEC only has one (Alabama).

Jimbo likes this.
  2. SamCdbs

SamCdbs SatelliteGuys Pro

Actually, he is very smart. Retired professor. He should not "probably" know anything. Like any other service, DirecTV should have informed him of what the deal was, months ago. DirecTV failed. And, when SECN launched, he got the channel at launch, without any action on his part.

And, yes it is a commercial account.

3. Don in CT

Don in CT SatelliteGuys Pro

So why did the network get a nationwide carriage deal. The SEC is a bigger conference that can support a network. SEC is a big conference in basketball, they have Kentucky.

whitewolf8214 likes this.
  4. Jimbo

Jimbo SatelliteGuys Master Lifetime Supporter

I'm thinking thats the ticket, IF your In the ACC area, you would get it with a qualifing package.

5. slice1900

slice1900 SatelliteGuys Pro

They had to agree to create an ACC Network as the price for the ACC agreeing to extend their tier 1/2 deal with ESPN through 2036. The contract stated that ESPN had to have a linear ACC Network channel by 2019. They announced it several years ago and could have easily had it up and running earlier if they wanted. It is pretty obvious they are offering the channel due to the contractual commitment, and have no choice regardless of whether they believe the channel will meet their ROI standards.

6. Jimbo

That signed a contract thru 2036 ?
    Thats an odd number and a HUGE amount of time for a New channel.

Btw, what is ROI ?

7. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 SatelliteGuys Family

Return On Investment (How much they earn vs how much they put into it)

whitewolf8214 and Jimbo like this.
  8. Athlon646464

Did not know that. I wonder if the person who agreed to that is still there lol.

9. hancox

hancox Pub Member / UConnaholic Supporting Founder

I sincerely hope that the RSN fee goes up in ACC territory. Imagine the carnage when someone in Springfield or PTown has to pay for BCU.

10. Don in CT

Don in CT SatelliteGuys Pro

whitewolf8214 likes this.
  11. Athlon646464

When I went to school, it was called an internship. For me, at least, it was a valuable learning experience and a great networking opportunity. My daughter did the same thing - interned - and now has a great job with United Health Care.

I'm not saying it's all good, but IMHO it's mostly good. Of course, it's what the student makes of it that counts.

When reading that article I got the sense the author was a bit biased - even angry that a school that charges it's students $75,000 a year would have to pay 15 million for a 'new' studio and production facility. Believe me, in the long run - that school will not lose a penny as a result.

Jimbo likes this.
  12. slice1900

slice1900 SatelliteGuys Pro

Sounds like they are going to use students to produce ALL their content? Yikes!

BTN has something they call "BTN Student U" where on campus students produce some of the streaming only "BTN plus" content that isn't deemed worthy of being shown live on the actual BTN channel (i.e. early season basketball games against a Division III school, and a lot of non-revenue sports) The difference in production values between the two is pretty large. Everything shown live on the BTN channel is professionally produced by Fox.

goaliebob99 likes this.
  13. Jimbo

14. bowens

bowens SatelliteGuys Pro

Any information on when streaming will be available? I don’t have a receiver at every tv but I do have streaming boxes.

15. Athlon646464

Email that Deadspin reporter - she'll get right on it :biggrin.

Jimbo likes this.
  16. ejb1980

ejb1980 SatelliteGuys Pro

They are all relevant to me. ACC football is basically all I watch for college football. It all interests me, but there is almost always an ACC game on it seems. I will break away for Ohio State-Michigan and watch west-coast when the ACC isn't on, but seriously, ACC Network is the greatest thing to come to TV in years. No more Raycom ACC Network and relying on a "moved" address to get the Raycom ACC games. My locals didn't carry Raycom until last year, must have been a going-off-the-air-deal. But I will still use my "moved" address. 15 extra channels for the same price? (17 if you count SBN and ION?) sure, why not.

It has already been explained that the ACC contractually required the ACC Network be created on a national scale by ESPN. It's not all greed. Plus we will get all the football games, all the basketball games, more lacrosse and such. It's great. I do hope we get a good quality broadcast. I have read that Raycom will still play a role, but I have also seen the same things about the student broadcasts. Not good.

17. cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k SatelliteGuys Pro Pub Member / Supporter

Over the last year there have been a lot of articles on this. Most of the ACC school video directors were happy to get the upgrades they got as a result of this. I think it was more of a "lessons learned" thing from their SEC Network experience. They realized producing all those events is way too expensive in today's economic climate. I think it is accurate in that if they had it to do over again they never would have launched a linear network, but as others have said they have to because of the contract. Since they do they've found the cheapest way possible to do it. Every institution had to create control rooms and hire/train students to run them. Fiber links exist between each campus and ESPN. One article I read said that basically high profile basketball and football games airing on ESPN/ESPN2 would get the old fashion play by play announcer & satellite truck treatment right now. Lower tier basketball games and other sports will mostly be produced by the students and fed via the fiber system. They've been using the ACC "Digtal Network" and ESPN3/ESPN+ as a training ground over the past few years to get the students to hone their skills. You can tell from some of the early soccer games there is still a ways to go though. Last night I watched part of one of them and you can clearly tell it was kids running the show vs. professionals. The cameras were often shaky and didn't react as fast as you would normally expect to movement.

18. bowens

bowens SatelliteGuys Pro

Looks like streaming is working now. Just tried it on watch espn.

Digger100, Athlon646464 and dtv757 like this.
  19. Athlon646464

Yeah - but the production values suck (jk).:crowdbounce

20. SamCdbs

SamCdbs SatelliteGuys Pro

Has anybody watched Packer & Durham? This is ACCN's version of Paul Feinbaum, but very different. It is son of famous ACC fathers Wes is the son of UNC's Woody Durham and Mark Packer is the son of CBS ACC shill from years ago Billy Packer. It runs from 7-10 and reruns from 10-1. Rather than Feinbaum's reliance on callers, it is mostly these two guys talking, umm, basketball. Interviewing ESPN talking heads from other shows, and remotes from the above mentioned on campus studios.

The show pretty much sums up the ACC's twin issues. First, unlike the other four P5 leagues, basketball is first and foremost here. They seem as confused about football as Feinbaum is about basketball (where he just lets the UK callers run things and takes weeks at a time off). But second, the ACC is still divided into the core teams and the northern ad ons. The two seem to have no knowledge or interest in those schools.

Separate names with a comma.

More...