Adequate Signal Strength

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RDaws

Original poster
Aug 4, 2007
I just finished installing a slimline dish. I borrowed a friend's D20 receiver and used a TV for a signal meter. I'm getting signal strength readings from the low fifties to the high seventies on 102, 110, & 119 I think I've read that the D20 shows lower signal strengths than other receivers. I scanned through all of the channels on the TV and they all came in.

I ready to sign up for Directv but I'm not sure that I have a good enough signal strength. I'm looking for second opinions.

I just finished installing a slimline dish. I borrowed a friend's D20 receiver and used a TV for a signal meter. I'm getting signal strength readings from the low fifties to the high seventies on 102, 110, & 119 I think I've read that the D20 shows lower signal strengths than other receivers. I scanned through all of the channels on the TV and they all came in.

I ready to sign up for Directv but I'm not sure that I have a good enough signal strength. I'm looking for second opinions.

Those signals appear to be awefully low to be consistant.
The H20 was the receiver that had the low signal readings and I think that has since been taken care of.
The higher the signal the less chance of loosing it during bad weather.
You can watch it the way it is, but don't expect it to make it thru bad weather.

How is your LOS , anything that might be obstructing the view ?
I would continue trying to tweek it more.

:welcome to the site !!!

Jimbo

My line of sight is not very good for 119. Last year I signed up to Directv. The installer came out and told me I didn't have a suitable location for a dish. This year I bought a clinometer/compass and found the best possible spot. I put the dish on a post 12 feet in the air to get above the trees I'm sure that the dish could be adjusted a little better by some more skilled than me. If I'm in ball park of a decent signal, I plan to try signing up again and have a installer come out and fine tune the dish.

I took the reading about a 3 weeds ago. When as the H20 updated to correct for the low signal strength readings?

Not unless you downloaded the CE release. There is no national release thats been launched to address the signal problem.
Really ???
All this time, I would have figured that , that would have been taken care of by now.
At least a National Release or something.

I did not realize it was only in the CE package.
My Bad ...

Jimbo

Hi everybody I am new here. This is my first post. I will try my best NOT to turn anybody off!
RDaws I live in a rural area and I have problems with trees just like you do. It seems like I am a bit luckier than you b/c I have a clear SSW line of sight. I've been with Directv since Nov 95. When I first joined D'tv I did all the work myself and I had a 97% SS with the round dish! All that nice SS changed after I switched to HD TV. I was lucky to get 70% SS for the 101 and 110 sat's and high sixties for the 119 HD sat.
It got worse after that forcing me to go to the front of house near the road. That turned out to be probably one of the best decisions of my not so charming life! Earlier today 1328 EDT I checked the SS's:
Sat 101º-97%
Sat 110º-95%
Sat 119º-98%
BTW I am using two D'tv H20's straight out of the box bought 1/24/07. The BBC's are also connected properly.
Yes I am also using the D'tv slimline dish with 100 feet of cable from the dish to the receivers. The dish is about eight feet up.
Originally I had an H20 update question, please disregard. I checked the Quick Menu>Settings>Set-Up>Info & Test>Past Upgrade: 0x2024 Tue 8/28 @ 0352 EDT
Thanks

Last edited:
I just checked my signal strength on my hr20 and i am getting #'s on sat 103(a). It's showing tranponder 1 at (93), 2 at (71), 3 at (0,) 4 at (88), 5 at (87), 6 at (64) and 17 at (0). I am not getting anything on 103(b) and when i check the signal meter i don't get anything. Is anyone getting this?

Ihave since trimmed some of the branches since this photo, but I get signals on all 5 sats in the 90's, with a couple 100's. I assume the signal is probably from much higher up than it looks, or I'm very lucky!

Attachments

• line of sight 3.JPG
    line of sight 3.JPG
    363.5 KB · Views: 151
I have two H20's and they are both correctly set. To reinforce that point I get the 499 message searching for sat. signal. The point is that when I do a SS check I only get readings from 101(97%), 110(95%) and 119(98%) sat.'s respectively. The other sat.'s read zero. I don't understand WHY are you getting those readings on the inactive sat.'s...
Thnx

I have two H20's and they are both correctly set. To reinforce that point I get the 499 message searching for sat. signal. The point is that when I do a SS check I only get readings from 101(97%), 110(95%) and 119(98%) sat.'s respectively. The other sat.'s read zero. I don't understand WHY are you getting those readings on the inactive sat.'s...
Thnx

You should get a signal on one or the other new sat by now I would think (99 or 103)

Jimbo

OK Jimbo and charper1:
Right now:
SS@ sat 99(b)>trpdrs: 2(94%), 3(72%), 4(94%)
SS@sat 103(a)>trpdrs: 1(60%), 2(73%), 4(41%), 5(58%) and 6(70%)
103(b) either is inactive or the dish would have to be rotated and adjusted which means I would have to compromise when the HD channel numbers are increased=bummer!
I get 97%(101), 95% (110) and 98% for 119.
Thnx

Last edited:
I just checked my signal strength on my hr20 and i am getting #'s on sat 103(a). It's showing tranponder 1 at (93), 2 at (71), 3 at (0,) 4 at (88), 5 at (87), 6 at (64) and 17 at (0). I am not getting anything on 103(b) and when i check the signal meter i don't get anything. Is anyone getting this?

103b is the location for D10, the satellite put in orbit in July. I don't think anybody is getting any signal on it yet. It should light up in a week or so. 103a is spot beams for HD locals. It has been up for some time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts