Advise Requested

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NutFlush920

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Green Bay, WI
My brother-in-law’s parents got a HR21 in November of last year and are moving to an apartment without a view of the southern sky. They claim to have paid $300 for the unit. They approached me to inquire if I would be interested in purchasing it from them for $100.

First, I don’t want a leased receiver and second, I don’t want to be liable for any unpaid balance on their previous account tied to that receiver. I currently have DirecTV and would love to get the HR21 simply as a spare unit just in case for the future. $100 to own it sounds to good to be true. My first assumption was that they would have to return the unit as a leased receiver but, they told me they would not return it since they paid so much for it. Now they say they just want to get something back for it as it is useless to them.

What does everyone think? Should I grab it for $100 or tell them I don’t want any part of it? I am a long time customer in good standing with DirecTV and don’t want to mess anything up.

I doubt at any price they don't own it and neither will you. I would also tell them being family and seeing they can't use it; why not just GIVE it to you.

If they have not finished the 24 months on it and do not return it, per the lease agreement they could be charged $480 for it, plus the remainder of the contract. Keyword is Could.

If you did acquire it, it would still fall under leased equipment and you could be responsible for their contract/un-paid balances.

Edit: While they may have paid $299 for it w/o any rebates.. it is not a purchase price. Think of it like a Cell Phone.. you walk in and for a 2 year agreement you can get a cool MotoRazr for Free, or if you want the Blackberry Pearl you have to pay a bit extra for it, technically you don't own the phone yet and technically would be required to return it or pay penalties on top of early deactivation for it. They do sell Non-leased HDDVRs in upwards of $590, but you still have a $4.99 mirror/Activation fee each month.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)