After 2 year agreement

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I signed up at the beginning of January and missed out the the free ST. I wouldn't mind having that.

Good thread OP will be in the same boat soon contract ending within 5-6 months or so I believe. I plan to keep mine as well very happy with the service having switched over from comcast who charges an arm and a leg. I haven't asked them was wondering though what would happen if a box crapped out on me, would they simply replace it or I'd have to pay for it to be serviced?

I haven't asked them was wondering though what would happen if a box crapped out on me, would they simply replace it or I'd have to pay for it to be serviced?
Boxes can't be serviced. This is important to understand as if the box is a DVR, all of the recordings on it will be lost forever.

DIRECTV will typically send you a replacement (not necessarily factory fresh) and you return the crapped out box.

I haven't asked them was wondering though what would happen if a box crapped out on me, would they simply replace it or I'd have to pay for it to be serviced?

Boxes can't be serviced. This is important to understand as if the box is a DVR, all of the recordings on it will be lost forever.

DIRECTV will typically send you a replacement (not necessarily factory fresh) and you return the crapped out box.

Also, there is no way to transfer the existing recordings ... they are just gone.

I always tell people, if you have something on the DVR thats important to you, watch it, copy it to a DVD or something, HD's can go at any time.
Lots of people like to get these 2GB+ EHDs and fill them up and are pissed when the thing goes bad .... keep up with your programming.

Also, there is no way to transfer the existing recordings ... they are just gone.

I always tell people, if you have something on the DVR thats important to you, watch it, copy it to a DVD or something, HD's can go at any time.
Lots of people like to get these 2GB+ EHDs and fill them up and are pissed when the thing goes bad .... keep up with your programming.

While this is normal.... its not entirely true..... This is an extreme probably will not happen, but is possible, so knowing about it may or may not help in the future situation....

If you have an external hard drive... we all know that replaces the internal hdd of the receiver... and most of us know that it pairs to the receiver, so once you plug it in to a new receiver its pretty much formatted. Well....

To get slightly more technical its tied to the access card... if you do happen to end up with a shot receiver, and you have dtv mail you a replacement, in the very rare event you find some kind soul that works in access card distribution that is willing to swap the card pairing between your existing card on the broke box with the new card from the new box, this will allow you to keep your recordings. This is insanely difficult to do and you will most likely be told no. But Ive seen it done once several years ago. As of now this is just a story that I tell, honestly Im not sure if it still works this way or not, but hey... worth a shot if your in the position.

While this is normal.... its not entirely true..... This is an extreme probably will not happen, but is possible, so knowing about it may or may not help in the future situation....

If you have an external hard drive... we all know that replaces the internal hdd of the receiver... and most of us know that it pairs to the receiver, so once you plug it in to a new receiver its pretty much formatted. Well....

To get slightly more technical its tied to the access card... if you do happen to end up with a shot receiver, and you have dtv mail you a replacement, in the very rare event you find some kind soul that works in access card distribution that is willing to swap the card pairing between your existing card on the broke box with the new card from the new box, this will allow you to keep your recordings. This is insanely difficult to do and you will most likely be told no. But Ive seen it done once several years ago. As of now this is just a story that I tell, honestly Im not sure if it still works this way or not, but hey... worth a shot if your in the position.

It was my understanding the the EHDD is paired with the receiver, computer, etc and that is why it has to reformat to a new device even if the "new" is the same as the "old"

I've never hear this before, lets hope your right and people can keep thier Recordings, maybe D* would be willing to swap cards more often.
It really shouldn't matter to D* which card your using, provided it's the correct generation card and it's tied to YOUR account.

I've never hear this before, lets hope your right and people can keep thier Recordings, maybe D* would be willing to swap cards more often.
It really shouldn't matter to D* which card your using, provided it's the correct generation card and it's tied to YOUR account.

OR maybe they should invent a cloud and be done with it entirely! Have your DVR sync every 24-48 hours or something. I know several people that'd even pay an extra few bucks a month to pay for it. But Directv isn't going to listen, we'll just keep swapping out your DVRs and remind you "now all your recordings are gone and you'll need to reset all your series's to record again" ;)

OR maybe they should invent a cloud and be done with it entirely! Have your DVR sync every 24-48 hours or something. I know several people that'd even pay an extra few bucks a month to pay for it. But Directv isn't going to listen, we'll just keep swapping out your DVRs and remind you "now all your recordings are gone and you'll need to reset all your series's to record again" ;)

By the time D* did that, it would be old news and there would be something better out there. :(

I like your idea though... but how about NOT charging extra for the right to use it.

We pay enough fees to use things that other companies have already had.

Also better make sure no patents are broken doing the Cloud thing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts