Air Pods: are they worth it?

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Went to the Apple store this morning to try out a pair.

The Apple Genius paired up a set to my iphone. The process was easy. Soon I was hearing really great sound quality. I honestly didn't expect such dynamic range as my older wireless BT ear system is extremely tinny. As with most things Apple the operation and quality is very high.

The cool think is when you want to do something like turn up or down the volume, select a different piece of music, you use Siri and just ask. Turn them on by inserting them in your ears. Turn off by removing them.

I'm impressed and it looks like they will be on my next Apple order.

Now for the bad part- As usual I always ask whet seems to me to be a simple question and it stumps the Apple Geniuses.

Since the Air Buds shut off when you remove one from your ear, can they be used with only one, say for mono sound, like an audio book? 3 of them didn't know the answer. Called the super Genius from the back and it took awhile before he understood my question. He didn't know either. So I'll need to ask Siri. :)

During the demo I could not figure out how to use just one at a time.

From everything I read on the web, you can use only one and the sound will be directed to the one in use, my store does not have any yet, been wanting to give them try then decide if I want to pay the 159.99 price

From everything I read on the web, you can use only one and the sound will be directed to the one in use, my store does not have any yet, been wanting to give them try then decide if I want to pay the 159.99 price

There has to be a way to over-ride the shutdown when you remove one airpod. Could not figure out how to do that. Tapping on the airpod of the remaining one did nothing until I inserted both ears.

BTW- My store did not have any on display. They had to unlock a drawer to access the demo pair.

Don -- I own a pair. I just took one out of the case. Put it in my ear. I heard the sound of it connecting. Went to my iPhone and started an audio book, and yes, it worked with one AirPod. in.

If you have both in, and remove one, the sound disconnects. But if you just remove and put the other back in, it will resume.

I've had mine for about 10 days. I am very happy happy with them. Sound is excellent. They do not fall out. The case is convenient for charging, I haven't charged the case in about 5 days and still at 40 percent.
Pricey? Sure. But no different than any of the good wireless BT headphones.

Reactions: TheForce
I wish Apple would make them in Flesh tones to pick from. Years ago Sony began to make their lapel mics for broadcast in flesh tones at the request of entertainers. They became so popular that most mic manufacturers did that. Hearing aids are only available in flesh tone color. Apple needs to go this route!

I decided to put my purchase off for awhile. :( Spent too much money for the honey this month. :heartbeat Wallet is too thin.

Bought a pair for my wife that arrived last week (took about 6 weeks to come in). So far she really likes them. Sound quality for both audio as well as calls (on both sides) is very good.

Reactions: TheForce
I wish Apple would make them in Flesh tones to pick from.
I don't think this will ever happen. That would go against Apple's traditions: make headphones so that everyone could see from a distance that you are wearing an Apple product! That was the main concept from the start. :)

Your only hope would be for some third-party manufacturers, not Apple.

Your only hope would be for some third-party manufacturers, not Apple.
Hope? HOPE??? I never just hope. :D You should know me by now, I make stuff happen. I don't have the air pods yet since they are way back ordered due to such popularity, but when I get back from this next cruise I will be ordering. Then, I plan to paint them with a flesh tone matching nail polish. There's always a way.

Reactions: Ilya
It has now been 2 months and I have never been happier with a pair of headphones. They work exactly as they are described. Open the container, pull them out, they connect to the iPhone immediately. The charging case last for several days, I probably charge it once a week. They never fall out. The quality is as good as the traditional ear pods. and they work great on the phone.

But no, they are only in white.

I'll admit they still look a little weird, but they are great. Indeed, the switch to bluetooth headphones makes me question even keeping my Bose QC25s, and going to the wireless version. But I doubt I'll do that as I only use them on a plane, anyway.

Reactions: navychop
I wish Apple would make them in Flesh tones to pick from.
Here you go, Don: http://www.colorware.com/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=743&SEName=apple-airpods
Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 22.10.19.png

Not quite flesh tone, but closer. And you don't have to get the case painted, but you're already paying plenty already, so what's another $40?

They look silly lol...when I first saw them I thought damn those things would look weird on me. I am gonna wait for the next gen. Also hoping to see third parties coming with their own versions at cheaper prices and possibly offer better performance.

They look silly lol...when I first saw them I thought damn those things would look weird on me. I am gonna wait for the next gen. Also hoping to see third parties coming with their own versions at cheaper prices and possibly offer better performance.
Yes, they look strange. I doubt their look will change. But they work, and work extremely well. High quality. The easiest connection for bluetooth ever, and they don't fall out.

AirPods are apparently pretty tough. Mine went through the wash. The pods survived. The case, well, not so much. Apple is sending a replacement case on an express return service. I was pleased with the service from Apple (I was annoyed as all get out with myself, for leaving the case in my jeans pocket after mowing the lawn).

Thanks Roland. The Sand color matte is the closest I could get to what I want. But at $200 ( $160 + $40 just for coloring; $300 if you buy the AP's from them) it is a bit more than I will pay. I believe I can use a Nail Polish enamel and get the same result. Plus I can mix to achieve a perfect skin tone match. But the Colorware quality looks really good, just more than I am willing to pay. I'm also glad the idea was developed into a commercial product by some entrepreneur.

Apple sent me a new charger. I put the pods in them, and all was good. Remarkable service from Apple, and after going through the wash, the pods were undamaged. Amazing actually.

I would expect the earpieces to be waterproof since they are meant to be used during exercise. IFixIt had a tear down of the Air Pods and battery case so maybe you can see why the washer did in your case.

Mine just arrived this morning! So easy to pair. The quality is quite good. I love how you can use voice control over the program.

I'm now searching for a small belt pouch to fix the charging case to my belt next to my iphone 6+ belt holster.

6+ belt holster? Which one? My OtterBox one broke soon after receipt and I haven't found another.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)