AL EAST 2009

Good news for the Sox:

Dice K's shoulder is strong
By: Mike Petraglia

Red Sox skipper Terry Francona said that Daisuke Matsuzaka has finished rehabbing his right shoulder and is ready to go for his return to the starting rotation on Friday night against the New York Mets at Fenway Park. "I think the exciting part about Daisuke is the way he tested out," Francona said. "His shoulder is strong. Regardless of what you see (Friday), and I hope it's fantastic, if he's strong, he's a good pitcher and over the course of a lot starts that should show. That's what we're excited about." Matsuzaka will be opposed by Mets lefty Johan Santana in a marquee matchup in the interleague opener for both teams.

Bay, Red Sox haven't talked contract
By: Rob Bradford
According to a source familiar with the situation, Red Sox outfielder Jason Bay and the Red Sox haven't restarted contract negotiations, having last talked in late March. According to the source, the Red Sox last offer was around $10 million per season, while the Bay camp was looking for something in the $14 million a year range. The Sox' last proposal also wasn't reportedly in 3-to-4-year range Bay would most likely be looking for as a minimum commitment.

Well what are we waiting for, the Yankees to swoop in ??!! :confused: :mad:

Because if Bay gets to free agency, you KNOW they will. :rolleyes:

I can. Smoltz is 42 years old. Who needs him? I'd rather give the starts to Masterson or Bucholtz.

36 year old former Red Sox pitcher Bartolo Colon gave up eight runs in two innings last night. How much gas is left in Smoltz's tank? I bet he doesn't even make the 2009 playoff roster.

I'll be glad to take him off your hands if you really feel that way ....

He would make a perfect Closer for the Tigers :D

Jimbo

Red Sox Shoot Down Delcarmen/Johnson Swap

By Steve Adams [May 22, 2009 at 7:27pm CST]
Earlier today, we heard that the Nationals had offered Nick Johnson to the Red Sox in exchange for Manny Delcarmen. WEEI's Alex Speier is reporting that the Red Sox have officially turned the offer down.
According to Delcarmen's agent, Jim Masteralexis, the trade was "immediately shot down." Both Delcarmen and Johnson are having fine seasons, but it looks like the Nationals will have to try something else in order to improve their bullpen.

Bay, Red Sox haven't talked contract
By: Rob Bradford
According to a source familiar with the situation, Red Sox outfielder Jason Bay and the Red Sox haven't restarted contract negotiations, having last talked in late March. According to the source, the Red Sox last offer was around $10 million per season, while the Bay camp was looking for something in the $14 million a year range. The Sox' last proposal also wasn't reportedly in 3-to-4-year range Bay would most likely be looking for as a minimum commitment.

Well what are we waiting for, the Yankees to swoop in ??!! :confused: :mad:

Because if Bay gets to free agency, you KNOW they will. :rolleyes:

Split the difference. 4 years/$48 million and get it done.

Red Sox Shoot Down Delcarmen/Johnson Swap

By Steve Adams [May 22, 2009 at 7:27pm CST]
Earlier today, we heard that the Nationals had offered Nick Johnson to the Red Sox in exchange for Manny Delcarmen. WEEI's Alex Speier is reporting that the Red Sox have officially turned the offer down.
According to Delcarmen's agent, Jim Masteralexis, the trade was "immediately shot down." Both Delcarmen and Johnson are having fine seasons, but it looks like the Nationals will have to try something else in order to improve their bullpen.

Don't bet on it. Unless the Red Sox organization is committed to making Delcarmen into the closer to enable Papelbon to join the starting rotation, then Delcarmen is expendable.

You have to give something to get something, which is what the Red Sox did when they acquired Josh Beckett. Delcarmen is "something"; so is Johnson. If Ortiz doesn't start hitting pronto, the Red Sox will not continue to fill the DH spot with a .200 hitting singles hitter, so they will have to give up a pitcher they like for a hitter they need. This deal still could be made.

Last edited:
Don't bet on it. Unless the Red Sox organization s committed to making Delcarmen into the closer to enable Papelbon to join the starting rotation, then Delcarmen is expendable.

You have to give something to get something, which is what the Red Sox did when they acquired Josh Beckett. Delcarmen is "something"; so is Johnson. If Ortiz doesn't start hitting pronto, the Red Sox will not continue to fill the DH spot with a .200 hitting singles hitter, so they will have to give up a pitcher they like for a hitter they need. This deal still could be made.

Giving up Delcarmen would be easier than say a Buckholtz or Lester to get who you need.

Delcarmen is having a very good year thus far. IMO, the Sox should sell high because you never know if Delcarmen reverts back to being inconsistent.

The Sox could use another bat to bolster their depth, and they have enough quality relievers for two teams (I don't think that's an exaggeration).

However, I'm not sure Nick Johnson is the guy. Five years ago, I was VERY high on Nick when he came up with the Yankees, but the last few years he seems very injury prone.

A-Rod just tied the game with a two run homer in the bottom of the 9th off Brad Lidge.

Lidge just blew the game. Boy, has the bloom come off the rose of Lidge or what? I cant stand the Phillies or the Yankees.
Now they are getting the pie tins ready for the pie in the face. Thats so friggin' annoying its not even funny.
Now I have to hear about the epic Yankees and there come from behind wins. Pardon me, while I get the barf bag!!!

Now they are getting the pie tins ready for the pie in the face. Thats so friggin' annoying its not even funny.
Now I have to hear about the epic Yankees and there come from behind wins. Pardon me, while I get the barf bag!!!

If the Mets were doing the exact same thing, you wouldn't have a problem with it.

Your probably right, Sabres. I just cant stand when they win because its the way they do it. Everything is epic and dramatic. I mean they have a 420 million dollar payroll. They SHOULD be winning games.

And of course in the middle of it is A-Rod. A-Rod with his "woe is me" routine. I mean hes a good looking guy, has money, fame, fortune, can get any woman he wants. Yet he made a mistake doing steroids and it seems like hes still looking for acceptance.

Sabres, I could see your point. I would like to counter your argument. I'll give you an ex. of what Im talking about. Now to be fair, the Mets did win a lot of those come from behind games in 06.

Here's the ex. How about when the Yankees beat the Twins in the rain because of Giambi's Grandslam. "Giambi earned his pinstripes" "Giambi's now a Yankee" is what people said. How exactly did he "earn his pinstripes"? He was already in pinstripes. And btw, what did the Yankees win with Giambi?

Also, have you heard the commercial for the new Yankee Stadium? It goes something like this. "For 86 years, the Yankees called Yankee Stadium home. Now GREATNESS has a new home". I mean, ugh.

And the Mets pull out 3-2 over the Red Sox!!! What a game!!! The Mets win after a 2-run home run by Omir Santos, which had to be reviewed, and have taken the first 2 games of this series. Also, the Mets had steller defense in the bottom of the 9th to win this game.

Great game and great win!!!!:up:up

And the Mets pull out 3-2 over the Red Sox!!! What a game!!! The Mets win after a 2-run home run by Omir Santos, which had to be reviewed, and have taken the first 2 games of this series. Also, the Mets had steller defense in the bottom of the 9th to win this game.

Great game and great win!!!!:up:up

Good win for you guys, congrats.

Papelbon blows his first save of the season.

The Sox try to avoid the sweep tomorrow, before going on their longest road trip of the season (10 games through Minnesota, Toronto and Detroit).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts