Al Jazeera America in HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Current TV was available to 60 million households when it was sold to Al Jazeera

And Al Jazeera America is available to over 55 million households. The question is, is anyone watching? Apparently no one was watching Current TV, that's why they sold out....

And Al Jazeera America is available to over 55 million households. The question is, is anyone watching? Apparently no one was watching Current TV, that's why they sold out....

Very few are watching. It's something like 45,000 max per day. A little less than the number of viewers Current had. The point of my post was that Al Jazeera bought Current to have access to those 60 million homes, not because Current had 60 million viewers.

FWIW, I'd love to see it in HD. The only reason I don't watch much of it now is because it's in SD.

I know I have this channel blocked on my hoppers at home and I really hope this station never gets any traction on the U.S. cable systems. The sooner this station goes down the better in my book.

Mike, have you ever watched the channel at all? If so, then you are entitled to your opinion. If not, as Harlan Ellison once said, "[you] are not entitled to [your] opinions; [you] are entitled to [your] informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, it’s nothing. It’s just bibble-babble. It’s like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks."

The preconceived notions people have of this channel are just astonishing to me.

Why do you dislike this network so much?

I like their stance and stories and willingness to question authority and run stories that major networks won't run. There is too much BS on the major networks. Honestly, do I care that Justin Bieber got a speeding ticket? No, I don't CNN/FOX. I'm glad this channel is in the lineup and I hope it does get picked up in HD and that hope it picks up viewership. I also hope that the other major networks stop with their biased reporting and stop allowing government agencies to influence them.

This is from an AL Jazeera America source when asked why Justin Bieber didn't make the news but yet he did on the other major networks.

“It didn’t hit the level of top news for us on a day when we have the Syrian talks, the Iranian President speaking at Davos, the West Virginia chemical spill continuing and other stories.”

I know I have this channel blocked on my hoppers at home and I really hope this station never gets any traction on the U.S. cable systems. The sooner this station goes down the better in my book.

I do the same with the blaze and Fox News. The sooner fox/blaze go down the better in my book.

Just about everyone at Al Jazeera are BBC (News / World News) graduates, so to speak. Everybody from reporters to producers to technical people on stage and in the booth. They have brought with them the best of the BBC journalistic values (the BBC gets wrong or really messes-up on occasion, just like other journalistic endeavors), and how to produce a 24 hour news channel. The BBC has taught them well. I can't say from where the people at Al Jazerra America come from, but it seems like it has some US home grown staffers on the inside. It is a pretty well done news channel that is specifically for US viewers that provides more depth on Mid-east or US/Mid-east issues, as well as US domestic.

Mike, you have every right to block the station at your house. However, one of the fundamental rights in the US is Freedom of Speech. Personally, I am a Liberal. But I find the extreme on both ends obnoxious. I do not watch Fox News, Blaze and rarely MSNBC. But that is my choice and no one has imposed them on me.
So, as Scott has asked, let's keep politics out of the forum.

I really don't like AJ America much... I did like AJ English which is a separate channel from AJ America, but with the AJ America they have now blocked American's from watching AJ English.

AJ English was less American slanted and offered better expanded news.

So now I don't watch either. :)

I agree, Scott. AJA is "dumbed down" for the American market. It has much less international news than AJE, and the international news they do have centers around the impact on the US, not the global scale. Still. However, even in its dumbed down state, it is still head and shoulders above the traditional "American" news channels. I watch AJA more often than any other news channel. That is still not very often though. :)

I do the same with the blaze and Fox News. The sooner fox/blaze go down the better in my book.

I agree 100%. I don't want stations like these trying to sell me their slant on the world. I have all these stations blocked in my house.

Mike, have you ever watched the channel at all? If so, then you are entitled to your opinion. If not, as Harlan Ellison once said, "[you] are not entitled to [your] opinions; [you] are entitled to [your] informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, it’s nothing. It’s just bibble-babble. It’s like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks."

The preconceived notions people have of this channel are just astonishing to me.

And you sir are entitled to your opinion. I refuse to watch anything with a Arabic name in it. After the 9/11 attacks, I don't want anything financed by the Arabs that pay for this station, or their ideological slant on the world.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts