AL/NL Wildcard Races

BillD1984

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
MA
We already have threads for every division. Here's a thread for wildcard contenders.

We're at the point of the season (5 weeks remaining), that I've always considered the home stretch.

Here's what the wildcard races look like going into the final 35 days:

AMERICAN LEAGUE
Boston............76-54...........-
Texas..............72-57..........3.5
Tampa Bay......70-59.........5.5
Seattle.............68-63.........8.5
Minnesota........65-65.........11

NATIONAL LEAGUE
Colorado............72-59........-
San Francisco....72-59........-
Atlanta...............68-62.........3.5
Florida...............68-62..........3.5
Chicago.............65-62..........5

Last edited:
My BOLD predicitons:

AL: TB (sorry, Bill. just a gut feeling)
NL: Atlanta (With Colorado winning the NL West)

My BOLD predicitons:

AL: TB (sorry, Bill. just a gut feeling)
NL: Atlanta (With Colorado winning the NL West)

Very, very possible with the Rays (especially when you consider they play the Red Sox VERY tough, and have six games left H2H), but IMO, neither Colorado or Atlanta make the playoffs.

I hope Texas takes over the AL Wild card, as I would hate for them to have to face the Tigers in the playoffs

Who said the Tigers are making the playoffs? :) :)

Tigers continue to lead, as of today it's 4.5 .
Twins have a chance yet, so as we all know it's not over till it's over, I've seen the Tigers LOSE the division in the last week. (losing to KC of all people).

Hoping it doesn't happen this year, then year the Tiger's went to the WS they lost the division to the Twins on the last day.

I'm hoping they start playing more consistant down the stretch.

Very, very possible with the Rays (especially when you consider they play the Red Sox VERY tough, and have six games left H2H), but IMO, neither Colorado or Atlanta make the playoffs.

I am with you....on that. I think(and hope:eek:) the Marlins sneak in at the end. I think Colorado WINS the West and the two odd men out are the Braves and the Giants. Braves are in Miami for a HUGE 4 game series starting tonight. I have a strange feeling either the Marlins/Braves split or the Marlins wins the series. Either way, it will determine alot.

The Red Sox win the opener at the Trop, meanwhile the Rangers sweep a doubleheader from Toronto (winning both games 5-2).

The Sox now lead Texas by 3.5 games, and Tampa Bay by 6 games.

The Red Sox win the opener at the Trop, meanwhile the Rangers sweep a doubleheader from Toronto (winning both games 5-2).

The Sox now lead Texas by 3.5 games, and Tampa Bay by 6 games.

This is probably a HUGE win for the Red Sox seeing they normally can't beat the Rays.

This is probably a HUGE win for the Red Sox seeing they normally can't beat the Rays.

I agree that it was a big win in the context of this series, only because it was the one game the Sox had a significant advantage with the starting pitcher (Lester vs. Sonnanstine).

However, if the Rays have any realistic chance of catching the Red Sox, THEY need to win these next two games.

I am with you....on that. I think(and hope:eek:) the Marlins sneak in at the end. I think Colorado WINS the West and the two odd men out are the Braves and the Giants. Braves are in Miami for a HUGE 4 game series starting tonight. I have a strange feeling either the Marlins/Braves split or the Marlins wins the series. Either way, it will determine alot.

Well....The Marlins picked a TERRIBLE time to lose 5 out of 6...ALL at home and to lowly San Diego and rival Atlanta. Hudson's good outing was a HUGE boost for the Braves. The injury to Nick Johnson has killed us. He was a stable part to the top of the order...his OBP was around .480 and was hitting .425 when he joined the line-up.

The ONLY saving grace has been that in the current slump, the Marlins have lost only 2 games in the wild card standings to the frontrunner.

Red Sox lose to the White Sox today, and end their road trip 3-4.

The Red Sox come home for an 8 game homestand (Orioles, Rays and Angels) with a 2.5 game lead in the wildcard race (pending tonight's Rangers-Indians game).

It's now a two horse race for the AL wildcard.

Boston.......................81-58.................-
Texas.........................79-60.................2

Remaining games

Red Sox:
Tampa Bay (3)
LA Angels (3)
@ Baltimore (3)
@ Kansas City (4)
@ NY Yankees (3)
Toronto (3)
Cleveland (4)

Rangers:
Seattle (3)
Oakland (3)
LA Angels (3)
@ Oakland (4)
Tampa Bay (3)
@ LA Angels (4)
@ Seattle (3)

Dont worry Salsa about the Marlins. They're beating the hell out of the Mets!!! But, hey, everyone else does!!!

And Bill, I think the Sox will take the wild card. The Sox have no quit and have gritty, gutty players and thats why they'll win. I mean someone has to have a chance besides the Angels to beat the Yankees, right??

Dont worry Salsa about the Marlins. They're beating the hell out of the Mets!!! But, hey, everyone else does!!!

And Bill, I think the Sox will take the wild card. The Sox have no quit and have gritty, gutty players and thats why they'll win. I mean someone has to have a chance besides the Angels to beat the Yankees, right??

I have NEVER seen a team more snake bitten than this Mets team...in ANY SPORT!!
I mean to lose almost you COMPLETE starting 8....litterally is just crazy! They will be back Mets82, it's no fun when the teams you LOVE to hate, suck!

I have NEVER seen a team more snake bitten than this Mets team...in ANY SPORT!!
I mean to lose almost you COMPLETE starting 8....litterally is just crazy! They will be back Mets82, it's no fun when the teams you LOVE to hate, suck!

It really is amazing. Aaron Boone came back from open heart surgery quicker than Jose Reyes will recover from his hamstring...issue. Don't even know what to call it. When he first came out of the lineup in May, they said it was just to rest it for a couple of days...:rolleyes:

Sandra

The Rangers get shutout by the A's 9-0, so now the idle Red Sox have a 4.5 game lead.

Fedex Cup final event

2009 MLB Pennant Races

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts