Status
Please reply by conversation.

twizt3dsist3r

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 15, 2009
Pennsylvania, United States
Has anyone ever tried to connect an AM21 to a cable system (such as comcast) assuming the drop is live, for example if the cust has Internet/Phone only, lets also assume there is not trap on the pole for the sake of argument. Will the AM21 pick up any channels over this feed? I know if you hook up a LCD TV you still get several channels, the unencrypted QAM lineup, and HD Locals. Yes I am aware that most cable companies are 100% digital and require dtas to decode their lineup. But Im talking about the off air channels.

I haven't tried it, doubt that I would want to try it.
I would imagine it would not find anything ... as far as Cable stations, remember it's got to go back thru the DS* recvr, threre are no OUTPUTs on the AM21.

However, this is pure speculation ...

yea i understand that, im not trying to receive cable stations, im trying to get a local channel that d* doesnt offer in my area (16-2 for those that care) and I know if i hook up the line running to my cable modem, or run a new line, same point, my tvs can get the channel as 16-2 when scanning in antenna mode, so i was just wondering if an am21 would as well. Id just like this channel in my guide specifically, but there are other locals in my market d* doesnt carry. maybe i should have clarified more, hopes this helps. Id like to get one to try it with, but dont really wanna buy one until i know for sure, id call directv up and ask for a comp one, but i dont have an antenna, and dont want one, my entire apt is wallfished and everything is in a ventilated closet or my attic, so unless i hang an antenna in an attic i plan to finish, its a no go.

yea i understand that, im not trying to receive cable stations, im trying to get a local channel that d* doesnt offer in my area (16-2 for those that care) and I know if i hook up the line running to my cable modem, or run a new line, same point, my tvs can get the channel as 16-2 when scanning in antenna mode, so i was just wondering if an am21 would as well. Id just like this channel in my guide specifically, but there are other locals in my market d* doesnt carry. maybe i should have clarified more, hopes this helps. Id like to get one to try it with, but dont really wanna buy one until i know for sure, id call directv up and ask for a comp one, but i dont have an antenna, and dont want one, my entire apt is wallfished and everything is in a ventilated closet or my attic, so unless i hang an antenna in an attic i plan to finish, its a no go.

Actually the AM21 doesn't SCAN at all, just activates the channels in D*'s database.

I would suggest splitting the OTA feed from your antenna that your able to get 16.2 on and feed it into the RF side on your digital TV to pick it up.

thats what im trying to avoid, its what im doing now, but I want it in my guide, is there a list of locals somewhere the the am can get if i punch my zipcode in somewhere? Ive read elsewhere that the am21 does indeed pick up multiple markets, also Jimbo if you could reread my OP, i dont actually have an 'antenna' and when i say that d* doesnt carry them, i mean that they do not load from sat119 by default.

thats what im trying to avoid, its what im doing now, but I want it in my guide, is there a list of locals somewhere the the am can get if i punch my zipcode in somewhere? Ive read elsewhere that the am21 does indeed pick up multiple markets, also Jimbo if you could reread my OP, i dont actually have an 'antenna' and when i say that d* doesnt carry them, i mean that they do not load from sat119 by default.

Ever try a indoor antenna ?

You should be able to put your zip code into the recvr and it would give you what is in the database.
Theres also a guide on the D* website that will tell you what locals you'll get by putting your zip in it, but you already have the info thats in D*s database, thats what you get over the SAT.

egnlsn said:
OTA is ATSC while cable is QAM (modulation scheme). Even if the AM21 did scan, it wouldn't find anything.

Thanks, that's kinda what I thought.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

OTA is ATSC while cable is QAM (modulation scheme). Even if the AM21 did scan, it wouldn't find anything.

thats basically the answer to my origional question, so the short answer is no... I would assume the am21 does pick up 16-2 because i clearly remember configuring an hr20 with a tabletop antenna back when i was a tech just for this channel. So my guess is the am21 would be no different. Not really sure why d* just wont carry all of the local channels. and im just looking to avoid having an antenna next to my tv, everything is wall mounted, nothing visible, and the receivers are in a closet behind the wall working with rf remotes. just dont want to see it. or use it for that matter, but i may look into a suspended antenna in the attic.

thats basically the answer to my origional question, so the short answer is no... I would assume the am21 does pick up 16-2 because i clearly remember configuring an hr20 with a tabletop antenna back when i was a tech just for this channel. So my guess is the am21 would be no different. Not really sure why d* just wont carry all of the local channels. and im just looking to avoid having an antenna next to my tv, everything is wall mounted, nothing visible, and the receivers are in a closet behind the wall working with rf remotes. just dont want to see it. or use it for that matter, but i may look into a suspended antenna in the attic.

You know how many sub channels there are they would have to carry, they cna barely get all the DMA's in HD, let alone the sub channels.

Just to add to what Jimbo has said, there apparently isn't enough memory in the AM21 or the HR20 to add much if any more subchannels. Maybe some room is being held back for future DMAs to be added. I agree that it's a pain. I would like to have one of my local subchannels added in, too.

I still have a HR10-250 active on my acct this allows me to scan in locals, it may not have guide info but I can set up manual recordings. Only draw back is cannot be shared via whole home so I have to watch on tv where the HR10-250 is connected but at least I can record the CW in HD since DTV doesn't offer over sat in my area.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts