AMC-8 nothing?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

chadg2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Maiden Rock, WI
Lyngsat shows AMC-8 has a few channels. Used to get radio on this bird. Now nothing? Just wondering if I have trees in the way, or is there nothing on it now in the lower 48?

It was supposed to be powered down in June. It is at it's EOL and will not be replaced.
I always had trouble getting it here because of LOS issues, so I have not personally checked it.

It must be powered down because I've always had radio on there. Now nothing. I see AMC-9 is moving in that direction, maybe taking it's place until it also dies?

There's data transmissions on AMC-8 and supposedly ARCS is still there but I can't confirm as I don't get the horizontal polarity transmissions.

Thanks. I just checked there again and I still get nothing. Since it's going away, I'm not going to attempt any longer to figure out why I can't get any signal there. Thanks again.

I see AMC-9 is moving in that direction, maybe taking it's place until it also dies?

AMC-9 died back in June and has been drifting out-of-control to the west ever since.

Also, horizontal signals on AMC-8 are on a spotbeam focused on Alaska and the West Coast of Canada and the US. Reception is unlikely or impossible outside of those areas.

AMC-8 is very much alive in 2018. It provides long distance service throughout Alaska for AT&T and is also packed with radio feeds.

Reactions: raydio
I am not in the loop regarding the radio feeds, let me check on that, see what is left. AT&T Alaska is the main user, also a large government user.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)