Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jim S.

When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
FN11od
Is the you-know-who mux on AMC6 coming in strong for everyone today? I'm trying to peak my 18" dish on that bird after it got moved during a storm and I have GBN coming in good and two feeds coming in stronger than I ever though possible, but not a blip on the quality meter for the mux no matter how much or which way I nudge the dish. I always found that it peaked at a different spot than GBN for some reason (adjacent-bird interference probably), but not getting it at all is making me question my sanity :)

Thanks, I don't have a clue what's going on with my system then. It used to work fine on the 18" 99% of the time.

It's funny that you mention this, I have been having some problems with the NBC mux on AMC6 too.

Sometimes I can pick up GBN fine, but not the NBC mux. I find that having the motor move off of AMC 6 and then back to AMC 6 seems to fix the problem.

One odd thing about my problem is that the GBN signal is the same (in terms of signal strength and quality) no matter what.

I have a 90cm motorized dish and the NBC mux comes in strong Q=75~85.

No problem with anything else, I can hit all of the ku sats from 30W to 129W.

Maybe it's just below the threshold of receivability for some reason, this is an 18" dish after all. But it's weird that it was coming in pixelated in the rain a few days ago, til the wind started. Now the sky is clear and I can't even tell that the transponder is there. The signal meter goes up like one point, and the quality never moves off 0. I've got non-permanent feeds on that bird blasting in stronger than I've ever had. Stronger than GBN, in fact.

It's not that much of a big deal because I have subscription TV -- although once in a while they'd put Universal Sports on and I don't have any other source for that. It's just that I hate not knowing what's wrong.

Is the you-know-who mux on AMC6 coming in strong for everyone today? I'm trying to peak my 18" dish on that bird after it got moved during a storm and I have GBN coming in good and two feeds coming in stronger than I ever though possible, but not a blip on the quality meter for the mux no matter how much or which way I nudge the dish. I always found that it peaked at a different spot than GBN for some reason (adjacent-bird interference probably), but not getting it at all is making me question my sanity :)
Jim,
Check out this post: http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/195043-ohio-news-net-question-2.html I was on AMC 6 yesterday with an 18" dish and a 500 dish, the pictures will show you the SQ of the mux.
Mike Lib

Jim S, I have the opposite problem! Can't get the GBN channel, haven't seen it in weeks, so I thought maybe it had gone off the satellite. Everything else is fine (this is a .90cm dish). Maybe its just the curvature of the earth or something lol. There's just some combinations of freq and SR my receivers seem to be blind to.

Jim,
Check out this post: http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/195043-ohio-news-net-question-2.html I was on AMC 6 yesterday with an 18" dish and a 500 dish, the pictures will show you the SQ of the mux.
Mike Lib

I've got a signal strength of 87 on that transponder on my Coolsat 7000, but I have a signal strength in the low 80s anywhere in the vicinity since it's almost my south satellite and the spacing is so close in that region.

In contrast, I have S 90 and Q 76 on GBN, and S 92 and Q 60 on the HD football feeds tonight. However I had my dish aimed before, I only had about half that on GBN. The feeds were stronger than GBN but not as strong as now. The NBC mux varied a lot, but it was usually stronger than GBN. The only screwy thing was that when I set up the dish the first time I peaked it on GBN and the mux was weak, so I peaked on the mux instead. But they were both always there except in rain, and I moved around in search of it quite a bit this afternoon with no results at all in a clear sky.

Maybe tomorrow I'll have to replace the ends on the cable in case I've got a short or water in it or something.

I've got a signal strength of 87 on that transponder on my Coolsat 7000, but I have a signal strength in the low 80s anywhere in the vicinity since it's almost my south satellite and the spacing is so close in that region.

In contrast, I have S 90 and Q 76 on GBN, and S 92 and Q 60 on the HD football feeds tonight. However I had my dish aimed before, I only had about half that on GBN. The feeds were stronger than GBN but not as strong as now. The NBC mux varied a lot, but it was usually stronger than GBN. The only screwy thing was that when I set up the dish the first time I peaked it on GBN and the mux was weak, so I peaked on the mux instead. But they were both always there except in rain, and I moved around in search of it quite a bit this afternoon with no results at all in a clear sky.

Maybe tomorrow I'll have to replace the ends on the cable in case I've got a short or water in it or something.
Your TS sat would be 74 West the ONN TV Channel the same as mine in NJ, I'll also check tomorrow, I will be working around the garage and putting up Christmas decoration so I wil plop the 500 outside so I can lsten to the market news on CNCB. I will use my Coolsat 5K so I can give you the coolsat quality meter reading and I'll loop in the Fortec Dynamic.
Mike Lib

Thanks for the offer, let me know what you come up with. When I was tinkering around yesterday I tried to get 74W on the 18" dish and I didn't have any luck, but I was kind of impatient since my main mission was to figure out what had gone wrong at 72W. Maybe the extra few inches of a Dish 500 vs a Dish 300 really do make a difference. If you've ever tried it, what does the 500 get you on 97W? The 300 only got me 6 transponders reliably.

Jim I tried getting 97 on my Dish500 dish a couple of weeks back, seems like I got about 110 channels (out of about 238 or so thats on that satellite). Not too shabby. I didn't spend a lot of time on that location, with some more fine tuning I might've done better-I was trying to get over to 105 but it got dark before I got to 103 so I gave up on it, and left it on 79 lol).

Thanks for the offer, let me know what you come up with. When I was tinkering around yesterday I tried to get 74W on the 18" dish and I didn't have any luck, but I was kind of impatient since my main mission was to figure out what had gone wrong at 72W. Maybe the extra few inches of a Dish 500 vs a Dish 300 really do make a difference. If you've ever tried it, what does the 500 get you on 97W? The 300 only got me 6 transponders reliably.
Sorry too much rain today, I'm a fair weather FTAer, maybe tomorrow.
Mike Lib

The NBC mux transponder is very weak today, I am using the 500 Dish and the SQ is so low 25% that I can't even get a picture. I got GBN and at least 6 active feeds, some of the feeds are for CNBC and I can't get CNBC on the mux. This is very strange, all summer as I work around the garage I would plop the dish outside tune to the correct azmuith and the mux would pop right. I was watching the mux only last week with a fairly good signal, took pictures and posted them on another thread. I'm at a lost to explain it, maybe the FTA signal is affected by the winter season.
Mike Lib

A-ha, maybe it's not me then, maybe it's the signal and my Dish 300. When last I checked, I had GBN, two strong feeds, and a week feed. You have three more feeds, yet you still can't get the mux. Thanks for the sanity check. I'm glad I didn't mess with the alignment too much, as I'm getting better feeds than I used to.

mikelib I tried with my dish500 dish about3pm, for an hour, never did get those channels either. Was beginning to think the dish was looking into the top of a tree, but I was getting 3-4 good feeds, the GBN channel very well. Finally said to hell with it and put it back on 74. Does a great job on H2.

mikelib I tried with my dish500 dish about3pm, for an hour, never did get those channels either. Was beginning to think the dish was looking into the top of a tree, but I was getting 3-4 good feeds, the GBN channel very well. Finally said to hell with it and put it back on 74. Does a great job on H2.
I had the same resuts as you, I did manage to get a signal but the SQ was very low and it would pop in and out. It's what I call a peek-aboo signal. I moved back and forth between 72 & 74 caught a cooking show on 74, watch that while I was fixing Christmas Tree Lights. I'll try again tomorrow, I will use the 500 Dish and the 90 cm and see what I can get.
Mike Lib

I'm having problems with 72w this morning as well. Right at the threshold and breaking up a little. Thats on my Primestar 24x35? dish. Usually its booming in here. Weather related ? Guess it's not us. Blind

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts